Sponsored by:

What are 996.1 "Sport Seats"?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 10:42 PM
Splitting Atoms
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts
Default What are 996.1 "Sport Seats"?

I did some searching of Rennlist threads, Google Images, and the internet in general, to determine what type of seats were originally installed in my 1999 996 coupe, built in March 1998. I am not sure what was in there based on what I was able to find. When I bought it, it came with Euro GT3 seats, which are still installed. I have the original copy of the window sticker and the only options are "Sport Chassis" at $2140 and AM/FM CD at $315. In the options list it also shows "Leather Sport Seats Black" at N/C and the under hood sticker has code 983 for "leather front seats", along with a list of codes associated with the Sport Chassis, including 014 and 030. Does the Sport Chassis option come with "sport seats" that are different then the "standard" 996 and Boxster seats you typically see? From what I have seen, it looks like there were two different types of "standard" seats for the 1999 model. I had the opportunity to pick up a set of seats that came out of a 1999 coupe. Are these what would have been in my car?
Attached Images  
Old 05-15-2017, 10:46 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 543 Likes on 410 Posts

I believe those are the standard seats that came in your car. The back is vinyl or leather not hard plastic.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:09 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

There is another "sport" seat with larger bolsters, unsure if they were available in 99'. These might be the hardback version Dan is referring to:

Old 05-15-2017, 11:12 PM
Splitting Atoms
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dan_189
There is another "sport" seat with larger bolsters, unsure if they were available in 99'. These might be the hardback version Dan is referring to:

I did see images of these, but I could not definitively pin those down to a 1999, although there were similar seats available in the 993, apparently.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:22 PM
Splitting Atoms
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Turbodan
I believe those are the standard seats that came in your car. The back is vinyl or leather not hard plastic.
The flat back section on the seats I picked up are vinyl. They are not hard shell like the GT3 seats.

My wife is not to keen about the GT3 seats since her butt fits snugly in the seat and it gives her the impression she is a little "broad in the beam". She also feels like she is sitting down low to the ground. I think these standard seats will clean up nicely and she will be more inclined to drive the car with the higher seating position.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:48 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Originally Posted by Splitting Atoms
I did see images of these, but I could not definitively pin those down to a 1999, although there were similar seats available in the 993, apparently.
My google search for that image did show them in a 993 but not sure if it was custom or factory
Old 05-15-2017, 11:52 PM
dan_189
Race Car

The flat back section on the seats I picked up are vinyl. They are not hard shell like the GT3 seats.

My wife is not to keen about the GT3 seats since her butt fits snugly in the seat and it gives her the impression she is a little "broad in the beam". She also feels like she is sitting down low to the ground. I think these standard seats will clean up nicely and she will be more inclined to drive the car with the higher seating position.
Id be so down for a trade + cash for my standard seats I got the nod of approval from my girlfriend on them! Too bad im in Australia!
Old 05-16-2017, 12:11 AM
Splitting Atoms
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dan_189
Id be so down for a trade + cash for my standard seats I got the nod of approval from my girlfriend on them! Too bad im in Australia!
Thanks, but I will keep the GT3 seats. I will re-install them if I get it out on the track.
Old 05-16-2017, 12:43 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Thanks, but I will keep the GT3 seats. I will re-install them if I get it out on the track.
Wasn't a real offer!!
Old 05-16-2017, 12:47 AM
dan_189
Race Car

I've thought about the GT3 seats, they look awesome but I think i'd really miss being able to put bags in the back seats because they don't fold forward.
Old 05-16-2017, 12:55 AM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Option 014 comes with the sport seats as part of the pkg. The pick in post 3 & 4 is the sport seat with the little shoulder ears, and the higher bolster on the seat bottom. It would have a leather back as the seats were ordered with 'leather'. Most come with a hard plastic seat back, and a leather pocket down near the bottom. The seat in your picture is the standard seat, not sport.

Your wife would prolly not like the sport seat either, as it's rather snug. If those standard seats are a decent buy, go ahead with those, and see if she likes them. Since you have option 014, your orig sport seats are missing and presumed sold. They are quite pricey, when you can find them.

Pretty decent price on these.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/99-Carrera-9...NZConQ&vxp=mtr
Old 05-16-2017, 01:14 AM
Splitting Atoms
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by docmirror
Option 014 comes with the sport seats as part of the pkg. The pick in post 3 & 4 is the sport seat with the little shoulder ears, and the higher bolster on the seat bottom. It would have a leather back as the seats were ordered with 'leather'. Most come with a hard plastic seat back, and a leather pocket down near the bottom. The seat in your picture is the standard seat, not sport.

Your wife would prolly not like the sport seat either, as it's rather snug. If those standard seats are a decent buy, go ahead with those, and see if she likes them. Since you have option 014, your orig sport seats are missing and presumed sold. They are quite pricey, when you can find them.

Pretty decent price on these.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/99-Carrera-9...NZConQ&vxp=mtr
Thanks! That's exactly the information I was looking for. Looks like I will have to keep an eye out for a nice set of black sport seats with leather backs, at a reasonable price. They seem to be scarce, as you stated. No rush since I now have two sets of seats. I will go ahead and install the standard seats I already purchased and see how we like those.
Old 05-16-2017, 01:27 AM
texcwa
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I find the sport seats to be quite comfortable and they seem to keep me planted during spirited driving although I will admit I have not sat in the standard seats or tracked my car. Pic of mine I just took so as to compare after I do the Leatherique leather conditioning Kit.
Attached Images  
Old 05-16-2017, 01:38 AM
Splitting Atoms
Burning Brakes

Similar pattern to the inserts with the standard 1999 seats I picked up and the seats in the earlier posts, although it doesn't appear that the head rests of the 996 cars had the embossed headrest. Now I am confident know what to look for.

I did a search on eBay and all of the sport seats with the correct pattern had the hard shell back. None of the backs were covered in leather. I can tell it may take me a while to find a set.
Old 05-16-2017, 01:50 AM
texcwa
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Similar pattern to the inserts with the standard 1999 seats I picked up and the seats in the earlier posts, although it doesn't appear that the head rests of the 996 cars had the embossed headrest. Now I am confident know what to look for.

I did a search on eBay and all of the sport seats with the correct pattern had the hard shell back. None of the backs were covered in leather. I can tell it may take me a while to find a set.
I believe the embossed logo on headrest was available, just another option. My seats have a "rubberized" feel hard shell back with pockets as mentioned by docmirror

Quick Reply: What are 996.1 "Sport Seats"?