Sponsored by:

Frunk release cable

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 05:49 PM
Oregoncoaststi
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frunk release cable

So, looking for release cable, finally found it, pulled it to make sure it worked, it did but now hood will not latch, how do i fix this? Thanks
Old 05-07-2017, 06:00 PM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 799 Likes on 510 Posts

What year and model? Since the e-release cable pulls on the bottom of the frunk latch extension, if like my 2005 996 C4S, my guess is it did not release the latch extension back to normal position. You might have to pull the latch cover(rubberized stuff that covers the latch and wraps up around area between frunk gasket and headlight) and check if the release cable still has the latch pulled. It might be stuck on something. Note the latch cover retainers are 1/2 turn deals and not actual screws.
Old 05-07-2017, 06:41 PM
Oregoncoaststi
Instructor

Originally Posted by wildbilly32
What year and model? Since the e-release cable pulls on the bottom of the frunk latch extension, if like my 2005 996 C4S, my guess is it did not release the latch extension back to normal position. You might have to pull the latch cover(rubberized stuff that covers the latch and wraps up around area between frunk gasket and headlight) and check if the release cable still has the latch pulled. It might be stuck on something. Note the latch cover retainers are 1/2 turn deals and not actual screws.
2003 C4S, as far as I can tell, that's what happened, it didn't release the latch back, the cable is super tight, once you pull it , it doesn't slide the latch back, putting it back together now, just have to adjust the latch. Thanks for your reply!
Old 05-08-2017, 12:01 AM
texcwa
Racer

Same happened to me when I was relocating cable to behind tow hook cover. I just took my long nose pliers and pulled the cable in opposite direction at latch.
Old 05-08-2017, 12:46 AM
Oregoncoaststi
Instructor

**** poor design at best
Old 06-12-2017, 01:23 PM
Crossed Tips
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
Default New Frunk issue

Friends, a related question that has just surfaced with my 2010 C2S. I am unable to open the frunk with the pull button (located next to the driver seat). The remote key option works. Seems there's an issue with the button as with a bit of wiggling I am able to "catch" the mechanism that operates the cable. Advice on how to fix this issue? Thanks.
Old 06-12-2017, 01:57 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,198 Likes on 767 Posts

Since it works with the key fob, then the electro-mechanical solenoid that operates the hood latch is okay. I would start by pulling off the switch plate and making sure the wires are not disconnected or corroded. Then maybe a new push button switch? Although from your description and model year, I'm wondering if you are talking about the push button release or emergency release cable.....only the 98/99 and some 00's still have the mechanical cable system.
Old 06-12-2017, 03:21 PM
TomR9964S
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Oregoncoaststi
So, looking for release cable, finally found it, pulled it to make sure it worked, it did but now hood will not latch, how do i fix this? Thanks
I had a bag get caught on the emergency release when removing groceries. I could not get the frunk lid to close because the latch was not open. I read the manual and really found nothing to help. Then I drove the car out of the garage to turn it around to get better lighting. Well, when the auto door locks kicked in at 2 mph it released the frunk latch and I was able to close it normally. I think there is a safety mechanism so if the frunk is opened by alternate means it will not accidently lock closed again.

Quick Reply: Frunk release cable