Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Car wash + detailing. Interior / Exterior - what do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 12:34 PM
charlieaf92
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Car wash + detailing. Interior / Exterior - what do you use?

As with anything else, using the right products and tools can make a world of difference. I'm curious how everyone's process works - what products and tools do you use? Anything that you consider a 'must have'? I'm looking for any ideas or tricks to help make the process less of a chore and get better results.

For me, I typically start on the inside with windex and paper towels on the glass. Then I move to the dash, doors, a pillars with Lexol leather conditioner using a microfiber cloth. During this process I always end up getting Lexol on the freshly cleaned windshield, up towards the front where it meets the dash. Very frustrating.

After working my way through all of the leather (I have the full leather interior option) I remove the floor mats and use the Dyson's hose to vacuum around the seats and the carpets - followed by the main rotor brush on the Dyson to vacuum the mats out of the car.

Exterior wash begins with a spray down to remove any loose dirt and get everything wet. Then, I have a Meguiar's car wash (its yellow and smells really good) and a fuzzy microfiber mitt to wash the car from the top and working down to the painted lip at the wheel wells and rocker panels. Rinse. Then dry everything with an 'Absorber' towel.

Once its all dry, I typically wash the wheels and exhaust tips separately using an old rag and the leftover water/soap. This is probably my least favorite part - I do my best to reach inside and clean the inside of the wheels as well - but with the giant rotors and calipers that can be tricky - any tips/tricks would be appreciated. When performing any service that requires removing the wheels I usually take that opportunity to clean them really well front and back.

I've yet to do any clay bar, polish or wax (outside of the 'wax' setting at the self spray car wash that I use from time to time in the colder months).

Product wise I've been really happy with the fuzzy microfiber mitt for washing painted surfaces + the absorber for drying without scratching or leaving water spots. I'm particularly careful never to let either of these touch the ground where they could pick up rocks.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:39 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I use a jackson a few times a year and franklin every couple of years .......they work great
Old 04-24-2017, 12:45 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 461 Likes on 300 Posts

Go to the Concours and Car Care forum, and all that you seek is there.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:49 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I use the 2 bucket (with grit guards) method and Optimum No Rinse (ONR) for mostly everything. The Exterior, Interior, windows, etc. I hardly use anything else. I might use some Iron X or Sonax Fallout remover if the rust is bad but other than that, 99% of the time, its ONR I am using.

https://www.canadacarcare.ca/products/norinsem1

For really bad bug guts, I'll soak up a few MF towels in ONR and slap them on the bumpers and let them sit there while I clean off the rest of the car. By the time I get to the bug guts, they just wipe off with a pressurized spray bottle. Helps my vehicles are coated with Optimum Gloss Coat which is a type of ceramic clear coat that is extremely hydrophobic. i dont have to wax my vehicle either, which saves me time.

tires get cleaned with wheel woolies so I can get at the barrels and wheel wells:

https://www.canadacarcare.ca/products/wheelwoolies
and the tires get some gel:

https://www.canadacarcare.ca/products/sonaxtiregel

After I detail my vehicles, I will apply a bit of this around the high use areas such as the area under the door handles, rocker panels and that lip right under the trunk door that gets scratched up by groceries, hockey bags, golf clubs, etc. Once it starts seeing abuse, I can just peel it off and re-apply.

https://www.canadacarcare.ca/collect...Road%20Warrior

Last edited by AWDGuy; 04-24-2017 at 01:40 PM.
Old 04-24-2017, 01:34 PM
6L6
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I handwash my 2002 cab twice/wk.

I start with the wheels first. Dirtiest part of the job. Separate sponge for the wheels vs body.

Wash car from top on down (only water on the top, no soap), spray off wheels as needed.

Vacuum interior, damp towel for dashboard and leather seats.

Pure Carnuba Classic Car Wax four times/yr.

303 top treatment twice/yr

ArmorAll for tires.

Good to go!

Name:  fullsizeoutput_e84c_zpsqt8q5qmh.jpeg
Views: 3322
Size:  1.99 MB

Name:  IMG_5388_zpsppfhbfbm.jpg
Views: 3204
Size:  1.71 MB

Last edited by 6L6; 04-24-2017 at 02:41 PM.
Old 04-24-2017, 01:58 PM
johneecatt
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't use Windex on the glass - it fogs after a few days (or less). Use Invisible Glass and microfiber towels. Much better and no fog.
Old 04-24-2017, 02:21 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

That's why I like ONR. 1 solution for everything.

I do however really like this towel for Windows. just use water.

https://www.canadacarcare.ca/products/the-incredible-kd-cloth
Old 04-24-2017, 09:43 PM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 797 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by johneecatt
Don't use Windex on the glass - it fogs after a few days (or less). Use Invisible Glass and microfiber towels. Much better and no fog.
Are you talking about the Stoner product?
Old 04-25-2017, 07:52 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

As suggested already, more info here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/concours-and-car-care-86/

Quick Reply: Car wash + detailing. Interior / Exterior - what do you use?