Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Fresh Tires vs Old Tires? We will know by tomorrow.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 12:45 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Notice how some(in other Threads) who replace there aged-out tires pan the old brand and praise the new ?
In reality almost any brand of new tires would have made a noticeable difference.
So why isn't there a "Disposal Date" clearly visible on the tire instead of the Manufacturing Date code ?
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret....jsp?techid=11
Old 04-26-2017, 03:00 PM
ejdoherty911
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Schnell Gelb
Notice how some(in other Threads) who replace there aged-out tires pan the old brand and praise the new ?
In reality almost any brand of new tires would have made a noticeable difference.
So why isn't there a "Disposal Date" clearly visible on the tire instead of the Manufacturing Date code ?
You're right there should be a 'use by' 'disposal date'. If the tires are old (like 7 years) the problems had nothing to do with the brand specifically. My "old" tires were Continental Extreme Contact and they were probably great brand new. I went with Sumitomo HTR Z III this time around because they were cheap, had great reviews, and will probably age out before they wear out.
Old 04-26-2017, 03:25 PM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Schnell Gelb

I alluded to this idea in my previous post. I went from a lower tech older design treadwear 140 tire (super sticky high performance) to a new, more modern design longer life tire with a TW rating of 320 and the difference between the old and new was night and day. That's really sad. If I had gone with the latest offerings in the 200 TW category I can only begin to imagine the amount of dry grip that I would've had.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:23 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Agreed !
To please the Passenger Seat Occupant I had to select 'comfort' rated tires.Ugh ! But met with much approval - from that seat. Must admit , I was astonished how great they were despite being not ultra high grip/handling. Got grins by claiming "Don't worry dear, I won't ask you to buy only comfort-style shoes". So racy shoes - O.K., racy tires - not.
Old 01-09-2023, 02:57 AM
btharwa
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good morning or good evening to everyone

based on where you're located

I have bought it Porsche 992 turbo and I was wondering

what happens if I am driving, and I pull both shifters

does the car go to neutral or do I have to be in park

and are there any tips I should know

thank you
Old 01-09-2023, 02:58 AM
btharwa
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good morning or good evening to everyone

based on where you're located

I have bought it Porsche 992 turbo and I was wondering

what happens if I am driving, and I pull both shifters

does the car go to neutral or do I have to be in park

and are there any tips I should know

thank you
Old 01-09-2023, 10:34 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,767 Likes on 1,103 Posts

Originally Posted by Schnell Gelb;[url=tel:14143128
14143128]Agreed !
To please the Passenger Seat Occupant I had to select 'comfort' rated tires.Ugh ! But met with much approval - from that seat. Must admit , I was astonished how great they were despite being not ultra high grip/handling. Got grins by claiming "Don't worry dear, I won't ask you to buy only comfort-style shoes". So racy shoes - O.K., racy tires - not.
A neighbor friend just took me for a ride in his newly-acquired 2002 BMW 330ci. It’s not an M-car and has only 17” wheels. But it handled wonderfully, and the car predictably slid around corners and it felt wonderful. It’s a reminder to me that less-sticky or aggressive tires can still result in driving pleasure because you have a wider range where the tire communicates to you at the edges of adhesion. So what I’m saying is, even though you have a trade-off with your tires, and your lap times might not as high as sportier tires, driving pleasure could still be high.

To be sure, the tire on his car were newer. I’m still in the camp of newer tires are better than older one.

Last edited by Mike Murphy; 01-09-2023 at 10:35 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Porschetech3 (01-09-2023)

Quick Reply: Fresh Tires vs Old Tires? We will know by tomorrow.