Highly rated mechanic says Fabspeed CAI doesn't fit

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 11:23 PM
PA996
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Highly rated mechanic says Fabspeed CAI doesn't fit

Hi everyone,
Been lurking for a while but need some advice.

I've got a 2001 996 C2. I ordered a fabspeed exhausted and fabspeed intake at the same time for the 996. Exhaust went on no problem, but my shop said they couldn't fit the Air Intake. Fabspeed didn't include instructions, and I'm not sure that they thought about taking out the stock airbox to install the fabspeed.

They are a Porsche shop that been in business 50+ years but in a sleepy old rich town and I don't think they have experience with performance upgrades.

I've never installed a CAI before, but it seems "do-able" from the Fabspeed online instructions. Did my "upkeep" shop just suck at performance equipment? Should I try and and install the CAI myself? I really think they just didn't realize they had to remove the stock airbox.

My CAI kit from fabspeed looks just like every other I've seen online. My 996 is a late model I'm told, because it has cupholders but otherwise seems like a normal 996?

Any advice would be super appreciated!

TL;DR: What are the chances my shop just had no instructions and gave up?

Last edited by PA996; 04-19-2017 at 11:57 PM.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:24 PM
PA996
5th Gear

edit: fixed photo
Old 04-19-2017, 11:38 PM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

If the CAI kit has cupholders, it's probably a 964 unit. Call Fabspeed & they'll sort it out with directions.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:40 PM
JimmyB
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

A lot of people on here will tell you not to bother with the CAI. YMMV, as they say. But it should be a pretty straightforward job to fit so have at it.

Nice looking car. If you have factory cup holders in what from the headlights is a 996.1 that does make it a rather rare beast. Litronics FTW. Need to fix those orange side repeaters though. And probably engine mounts.

Originally Posted by TonyTwoBags
If the CAI kit has cupholders, it's probably a 964 unit. Call Fabspeed & they'll sort it out with directions.

He's right though - call Fabspeed, they'll see you right.

Last edited by JimmyB; 04-19-2017 at 11:42 PM. Reason: To laugh at Tony's CAI cupholders joke
Old 04-19-2017, 11:51 PM
PA996
5th Gear

Ok ok.. well deserved haha fixed
Old 04-19-2017, 11:54 PM
PA996
5th Gear

Definitely Litronics which surprised the **** out of me. Rennline solid mounts already on the way
Old 04-20-2017, 12:00 AM
Kalashnikov
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Your shop was not sure whether or not to remove stock airbox to install a CAI?

Do they use turkey blasters and diffusion as a preferred way to change brake fluid by a chance?
Old 04-20-2017, 12:05 AM
PA996
5th Gear

Originally Posted by TonyTwoBags
Originally Posted by Kalashnikov
Your shop was not sure whether or not to remove stock airbox to install a CAI?

Do they use turkey blasters and diffusion as a preferred way to change brake fluid by a chance?
I'm not trying to put my shop on blast, but either they are retarded or Fabspeed send me the wrong parts (I ordered directly from them.) When I brought it in they said "I've hear fabspeed makes good stuff." They have been in business for 50+ years but the shop is in one of the wealthiest / oldest parts of the Bay Area and i'm just not sure they wanted to do it. I was primarily there for a trans rebuild. Not a performance shop.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:08 AM
Kalashnikov
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Trans rebuilt in Bay Area sounds serious.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:10 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

Do you have the "CAI" parts i.e. the hose and block off or the fabspeed competition intake?

Either way install it yourself, its not hard.

Literally: one bolt, one jubilee clip, MAF harness clip and 2 wire holding clips and the box comes out.

Unscrew the Philips heads holding the box together undo both jubilee clips holding the silicon hose to the box, remove the 3 torx screws holding the resonator box in place, screw in fabspeed "carbon fibre look" block off, put the box back together, install the red fabspeed silicon hose and re install the box.

Fabspeed you owe my 5% off my next order! Just kidding
Old 04-20-2017, 12:12 AM
KoB
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PA996
They are a Porsche shop that been in business 50+ years but in a sleepy old rich town and I don't think they have experience with performance upgrades.
Even in a "sleepy old rich town," over the course of 50 years SOMEBODY would've made some kind of performance upgrade to a Porsche.

I've never installed a CAI before, but it seems "do-able" from the Fabspeed online instructions. Did my "upkeep" shop just suck at performance equipment? Should I try and and install the CAI myself?
Yes and yes. It is do-able, and jobs like these will help you learn about your car.

You should be hearing from John at Fabspeed, as he keeps an eye on this forum. He'll help you out.

What are the chances my shop just had no instructions and gave up?
Pretty good, I'd say.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:16 AM
tekkie
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

tell them there is a new thing called the internet, the instructions are on fabspeeds site
Old 04-20-2017, 09:08 AM
RngTrtl
Drifting

Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

I bet there are hitting the SAI assembly. I believe that it has to be relocated with a bracket that should have came in the kit assuming the 01 is like the 03.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:43 AM
JayG
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm not trying to put my shop on blast, but either they are retarded or Fabspeed send me the wrong parts (I ordered directly from them.) When I brought it in they said "I've hear fabspeed makes good stuff." They have been in business for 50+ years but the shop is in one of the wealthiest / oldest parts of the Bay Area and i'm just not sure they wanted to do it. I was primarily there for a trans rebuild. Not a performance shop.
Are you trying to impress us "one of the wealthiest / oldest parts of the Bay Area"

What in hell does that have to do with the quality of the shop?
Some of the best shops are in crappy industrial areas
Old 04-20-2017, 11:46 AM
ejdoherty911
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Any shop that can't handle a cold air intake, on their own, without asking the customer what to do, is completely incompetent. I guess a monkey could open a hospital and stay in business 50 years, doesn't mean the monkey's any good. CAI install on your 996 could be done by a high school kid with the printed instructions. It's a very easy job. You can do it.

Quick Reply: Highly rated mechanic says Fabspeed CAI doesn't fit