Sponsored by:

New owner concerned with purchase

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 04:07 PM
Petemuss88
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner concerned with purchase

Good afternoon everyone! I am a new owner of a really nice 99 C2 that I bought last week. So far it has been an absolute dream to drive until I noticed a couple of things.. first I noticed a ticking at start up.. it goes away once the engine is warmed up and I asked the previous owner about it who said it could be the result of the thick 20w50 oil that he put in it. The previous owner has said that the car is in really good condition and when he had bought it, he had it checked from head to tow and found no issues. Another thing I noticed was the driver side exhaust tip is more sooty than the pass side. I will try to attach a video of the sound. But I have a failing that the previous owner just handed off a grenade with the pin pulled.
Old 04-18-2017, 04:13 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,182 Likes on 756 Posts

Change the oil, filter to approved oil (20w50 is not unless you live on the equator). That will give you a new baseline for oil changes anyway. The soot on the drivers side tailpipe is from Bank 2 (right side of engine) where the AOS breather hose attaches. Sort of normal to be a bit more sooty, but you might be in need of a new AOS depending on mileage/age/etc.
Old 04-18-2017, 04:15 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah, not all that good to hear.

Both of those symptoms are things I experienced with my car and it had cylinders 4 & 5 scored to hell.

how's oil consumption? Any smoke on cold start up?

Here's a video of my car. i tried to capture all the symptoms I was getting...smoke on start up, the knocking at idle, LHS sooty tail pipe, etc.

Old 04-18-2017, 04:19 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

You said "Head to Tow", as in truck...Just thought that was funny. How long did the previous owner have it? Did you have a PPI done? Have you a good Porsche mechanic nearby?
Joe's suggestion is a good start.
Lot's of knowledgeable members here have discussed the ticking issue over the years, sit tight and one will be along to advise.
Keep us posted.
Old 04-18-2017, 04:29 PM
Petemuss88
Intermediate

I just drove 1000 miles to Florida and there was no oil consumption. Also no smoke on start up either
Old 04-18-2017, 04:33 PM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Yeah wrong oil. Try 5-40 or 0-40 Mobile one (forget all the fancy schmancy oils). Then see if you get a tick. Could be a noisy lifter as a result of the wrong oil. If you car has no service records, start off with a complete fluid change...oil and filter, brake fluid, coolant, serpentine belt, and air cleaner. Then drive the car and then stop looking for problems. If something bad happens, you'll be the first to know. Track your oil consumption and overall feel of the car. If you see oil spots on the floor, you've got a leak somewhere. Lots of oil, bigger leak, only a drop or two...a little leak. If you don't have a chosen Porsche wrench, get one now and have them look over your car. Walk around under the car with them. And then just drive and enjoy.
Old 04-18-2017, 04:42 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 144 Posts

Old 04-18-2017, 04:52 PM
Petemuss88
Intermediate

Thanks all for the helpful information, I can start with the oil change and go from there.. worst case senerio, if there is scoring.. how much could I sell the car for? I'm a youngish guy in the military about to start some hefty training and I don't have the spare time or money to fix this thing.
Old 04-18-2017, 05:01 PM
Petemuss88
Intermediate

And when I say fix I mean replace a possible bad engine
Old 04-18-2017, 05:15 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,182 Likes on 756 Posts

Don't jump to conclusions! Get the oil/filter changed and drive it some before you write off your engine.
Old 04-18-2017, 05:51 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,895 Likes on 1,036 Posts

Originally Posted by Petemuss88
I noticed a ticking at start up.. it goes away once the engine is warmed up and I asked the previous owner about it who said it could be the result of the thick 20w50 oil that he put in it. The previous owner has said that the car is in really good condition and when he had bought it, he had it checked from head to tow and found no issues. Another thing I noticed was the driver side exhaust tip is more sooty than the pass side. I will try to attach a video of the sound. But I have a failing that the previous owner just handed off a grenade with the pin pulled.
Ok... let's get this straight.

Here's what we know...

1. You're hearing a ticking sound at start up.
2. The owner used non-approved high viscosity oil
3. Driver side exhaust tip contains more than normal soot.

Question(s): Did you have a PPI conducted on the car before deciding to purchase it? Did you sign a bill of sale that states the car was sold "AS-IS"?

Personally, I agree with the above... go immediately and put 0W40 or 5W40 in this car. Inspect the filter for any signs of metal. Then... Drive it, breath easy and enjoy it, but monitor the ticking sound closely. If you bought the car as-is, it's yours to deal with warts and all, unless you feel the previous owner was being fraudulent and that's whole different discussion.

I hope things look up for you. I know if can seem unnerving to have problems immediately after purchase.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:02 PM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

good oil (Motul 8100 xess isn't too pricey or DT40)
injector cleaner for good measure
check the oil filter

grab some video under the right & left sides of the engine. If the passenger side has the ticking, try to move the speaker near the heads and then along the center to identify where the sound may come from. I've mistaken injector pulse with lifter or other ticking, so video can help.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:23 PM
Petemuss88
Intermediate

Originally Posted by b3freak
Ok... let's get this straight.

Here's what we know...

1. You're hearing a ticking sound at start up.
2. The owner used non-approved high viscosity oil
3. Driver side exhaust tip contains more than normal soot.

Question(s): Did you have a PPI conducted on the car before deciding to purchase it? Did you sign a bill of sale that states the car was sold "AS-IS"?

Personally, I agree with the above... go immediately and put 0W40 or 5W40 in this car. Inspect the filter for any signs of metal. Then... Drive it, breath easy and enjoy it, but monitor the ticking sound closely. If you bought the car as-is, it's yours to deal with warts and all, unless you feel the previous owner was being fraudulent and that's whole different discussion.

I hope things look up for you. I know if can seem unnerving to have problems immediately after purchase.
Looking at the bill of sale it does say as is. A PPI was performed by his Porsche Indy mechanic who I spoke to and gave the car a clean bill of health. I will upload some videos of the noise later on today. Again I want to say I appreciate every one helping out with this.. hopefully I'm just a paranoid new Porsche owner.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:27 PM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

How many miles on the car?

you are paranoid relax these cars aren't that quiet on start up.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:36 PM
Petemuss88
Intermediate

97k miles on the car... anyone want to PM me their email.. I took a video but it's too big to upload

Quick Reply: New owner concerned with purchase