996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

CEL came back...Finally got around to getting a Durametric

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 09:58 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 790 Posts

"I honestly think you're good to go !! With the CEL turning its self off is a great sign ! That means that the DME through OBD II self diagnostics has done enough tests ( which is a very large number, usually20) that it is satisfied that there is no more fault or intermittent faults with the system !! Which is quite a rarity on a problem such as this."

I honestly hope you're right! Thanks again for your help and encouragement
Old 09-26-2017, 06:45 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Just thought I'd share that after my "heart stopper" thread. Everything is back in order and the CEL remains out !
Old 09-27-2017, 03:26 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,957 Posts

Originally Posted by dporto
Just thought I'd share that after my "heart stopper" thread. Everything is back in order and the CEL remains out !
Yea I'm glad you updated us on this, I commented on your "heart stopper" thread and asked about the CEL, but you apparently missed it, and I didn't want to push encase your were ducking the Porsche Gods and didn't want them to see you bragging..lol

Looks like your accidental Hard Reset did the trick !! I have only had this fix a few such problems over the decades, but when it does, it's AMAZING !!

The one I had that was just like yours was about 6 years ago.The same code started when an engine was improperly timed (grossly out of time)( luckily no valves were bent) came flat bedded into the shop. IT was correctly timed and restarted and the CEL came on with the second road test. Cam timing was recheck and tests began. After wiring and continuity tests were passed and actual values verified, the complete cam actuator with solenoid was replaced with known good unit, the cam sensor was replaced with a known good unit.Multiple road tests in between. Having no other tests that have not been done, no other ideas of what could be causing this except something wrong with the DME, I did the Hard Reset and voila' !! The problem was gone !!

Happy motoring !!
Old 09-28-2017, 01:35 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
Yea I'm glad you updated us on this, I commented on your "heart stopper" thread and asked about the CEL, but you apparently missed it, and I didn't want to push encase your were ducking the Porsche Gods and didn't want them to see you bragging..lol

Looks like your accidental Hard Reset did the trick !! I have only had this fix a few such problems over the decades, but when it does, it's AMAZING !!

The one I had that was just like yours was about 6 years ago.The same code started when an engine was improperly timed (grossly out of time)( luckily no valves were bent) came flat bedded into the shop. IT was correctly timed and restarted and the CEL came on with the second road test. Cam timing was recheck and tests began. After wiring and continuity tests were passed and actual values verified, the complete cam actuator with solenoid was replaced with known good unit, the cam sensor was replaced with a known good unit.Multiple road tests in between. Having no other tests that have not been done, no other ideas of what could be causing this except something wrong with the DME, I did the Hard Reset and voila' !! The problem was gone !!

Happy motoring !!
Ha! I was so focused on getting the cam covers sealed properly that I just spaced on the CEL question. When I realized that I had failed to respond to your question, I figured I'd resurrect this thread as it was more related to this than my cam-cap troubles! I drove the car over 200 miles in the last 3 days (took it for some PDR to fix some hail damage - came out beautiful) and it's running and driving fantastic! Thanks once again for your input - super helpful
Old 07-26-2019, 05:51 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

Came here from another thread - tagged for the content.

Quick Reply: CEL came back...Finally got around to getting a Durametric