996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Advice for a first time Porsche buyer?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2003, 01:50 PM
TWA
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice for a first time Porsche buyer?

Posting for a friend:

He's considering buying a 2000 C4 Cabriolet, listed on eBay by what appears to be reputable dealer. The car is a bit overloaded with luxury options I don't really want (Nav system and the Park Assist system), but the condition of the car, mileage (25K), price, and other options all seem great.

Anyone have any specific suggestions on weaknesses in this model to look for during inspection, or other things to think about?

[He will be tracking this car occasionally, and the car comes with the hardtop. I gave him the rear main seal, and oil pickup warnings. Anything else?].

Thanks for the help,
Troy
Old 11-11-2003, 02:36 PM
TWA
Intermediate

I should also add that I looked at the FAQs, but didn't really see anything that helped with a convertible purchase decision... I have no clue if there are specifics that my friend should look for.
Old 11-11-2003, 02:39 PM
01 C4 Cab NYC
Burning Brakes

TWA,
Sounds like one listed at Expomotorcars.com...that's where I got mine, they were great. He should still get a PPI, if it is expomotors they are down the street from Advantage Porsche (I hear the service department is pretty good there). By MY00, they had owrked out most of the bugs...and he should still have some factory warranty left (but might consider an extended warranty).
There is a list of TSBs:
http://www.alldata.com/TSB/50/99504940.html
and if he does a Carfax, he can get the name of the service center and call them and see what the car has gone in for.
If it is Expo, double check on the hardtop (cause mine didn't have one but they knocked a little off the price for me)...
Old 11-11-2003, 03:04 PM
TWA
Intermediate

I just checked, and you're right, it is Expo. Thanks for the great pointers.
Old 11-11-2003, 03:54 PM
01 C4 Cab NYC
Burning Brakes

TWA,
Looks like a real sweet car (tho personally I think the park assists looks like pock marks)...if he wants to avoid the ebay hassle, he can call them directly and deal with them, then he won't lose the car. Besides, if they sell on ebay, they have to pay ebay however much, so maybe he can deal with them a little. They were great with tayloring the lease that I wanted, and they even arranged shipping. HOWEVER, they are NOT a porsche dealership, so they won't swap out rims, and they can't take a hardtop from one of their other cars (both were questions I asked)....
I bought my car without ever seeing it in person, and am VERY happy withit. Tell your friend best of luck luck...

BTW, they have an MY01 all black C4, with only 5k miles on it, with out PCM and park assist, but it has the other goodies (xenon, techincs, supple leather...they want around $70 (can prob talk them into low 60s), might be worth a look...
Old 11-11-2003, 03:58 PM
DonW-Cape Cod
R.I.P.
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

There are some TSBs out on Cabs.. so make sure they operate the top back and forth several times for you. Also TSBs on rattling windows and of course oil leaks and RMS problems, so make sure there is no oil on or under the engine. Hopefully there is a full set of maintenance records for you. And if it comes with a hardtop it should be rattle-free if installed. (TSBs on that as well). Good luck!
Old 11-11-2003, 05:27 PM
TWA
Intermediate

Thanks again guys for the helpful tips/suggestions, and the comments from personal experience w/expo couldn't have made his day any better.
Old 11-12-2003, 09:15 AM
OZ996
Advanced

Default Park assist - not a luxury item...

I can say the the Park Assist feature is fantastic, and not a luxury item IMHO. You know juuuuuust how far to back into a parking space, etc., not to mention it's original intent of not mowing down small animals & children in the driveway.

I have it on my allroad, and I will never buy a car without it again. It's especially fun to impress bystanders with as I "fly" into a parking spot, stopping just in time. It's oh-so-tempting to use that tactic on other vehicles, too... but I digress Simple pleasures for simple minds, I guess.... (but that makes me uncomplicated, which is a good thing!)
Old 11-12-2003, 09:27 AM
OZ996
Advanced

Default got mine from Expo, too...

Got my '99 C4 996 Cab from Expo in April.

Definitely have a PPI check it out, and also, Expo has this annoying little "requirement" they do when you take delivery of your vehicle. They want you to sit down right there in their office with them breathing over your shoulder, and give them positive Ebay feedback , right then and there!! I did it, but.... after thinking about it..... If I bought from then again, the way I would handle that "requirement" would be to have a website/HTM page already created somewhere. Then I would reference it on my "positive feedback" in the following way:

"For my full story, goto http://www.website.com/story.htm"

... then you give yourself the advantage of being able to give you TRUE feedback, good and bad, pre-purchase AND after purchase....without someone over your shoulder with your car keys........

Overall, my experience was good. However a few things were odd....

When I got there, as my PPI had told me but they had not, there was evidence of paintless dent repair (a small hole in a doorjam, the PPI knew what it was right away). An obvious thing that Expo should have pointed out, there's no reasonable explanation as why they didn't - it's kinda in your face.

Also, they had changed the oil and had NOT PUT OIL BACK IN THE CAR. I kid you not. Fortunately my brother a PCA member was there with me, and that's the first thing he checked - so no damage there..... just annoying.

Also, mine came with a hardtop, too - but Expo bought it back from us, as we live in sunny florida and would never use it. But they would not cut a check right there (?!? even though I had wired them funds and they had rec'd them?!?!?) and it took about 3 months and many annoying phone calls to get that check... The mentality seemed to be if they put me off long enough, I'd go away.... well, they thought wrong...

Hmmm... not much else. Certainly post if you have any questions I haven't addressed with regards to Expo!!
-Kim (phil's wife, the Porsche fiend!)
Old 01-03-2004, 09:01 PM
cgreene
AutoX

I am considering purchasing my first Porsche, after lusting for one for many years. I have started tracking sales via several sources, and I am interested to hear some positive experiences with expo via eBay. The thought of making such an expensive and important purchase over the interent and sight unseen makes me very nervous. I definitely want to use a PPI, and would love to hear from others how you identified a really good one. Also, anything specifically I should avoid, or look out for. (considering a '02 Cab).
Old 01-04-2004, 03:52 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Expo is a hole in the wall little place along the Southwest freeway (US59), but they do have some nice cars.

Quick Reply: Advice for a first time Porsche buyer?