Sponsored by:

'99 cab clamshell sticks

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 07:12 PM
gtred
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default '99 cab clamshell sticks

The top on my car is beginning to need a little help to close fully. The clamshell portion moves stiffly and needs a "push" to get it to move along it's track. The clamshell doesn't open/close fully (the mechanism clicks but doesn't completely latch). However, the top does latch fully at the window top and it seems to seal fine.

The clamshell hinges are stiff, but are otherwise intact; nothing appears broken. Can I clean/lubricate the clamshell track?
Old 03-14-2017, 06:31 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

A bit of WD40 or PB Blaster in the right places won't harm anything. It maybe that the canvas top is not folding correctly as the top comes down. Stand next to the drivers door, right hand on key in drivers door lock, holding key to the left I think, or right. Anyway stop the action as it reaches service position and with your right arm, lean across and fold once or knock it in towards the front of car. Then hold the key again as you are removing your right arm and let the top close. Make sure that the protection flap is on in the center of the rear window. You don't want the top catching up on the lock of the clam shell.
Old 04-24-2017, 02:59 PM
gtred
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Clean/greasing hasn't helped. It's also really difficult to view, as the canvas top hides much of the mechanism.

Does anyone have a link to a picture or blow-a-part illustration of this? I don't believe that it is run by the hyd system. Rather, it seems to be run by motors. Can anyone confirm? Thank you!
Old 04-25-2017, 11:19 AM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

I had this problem a few years ago, and lt lead to a broken hinge and a damaged actuator cable for the clamshell. Take a look at the thread below for some pictures of the slider mechanism. You might have to take it apart if there is gunk build up in there.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...more-pics.html
Old 04-26-2017, 07:25 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Put the top in service position (Half way) and release the bobble lines each side and lift the back window up. Then you can see everything that needs to be lubricated. Also you can see if anything has fallen off by comparing each side to each other mirror effect. Feel around down there and you may find something which has fallen off something.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:50 AM
gobs
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just went through this a couple weeks back and there is a previous post. My issue was the top needed re-calibration from the dealer. But all is working well now.

Quick Reply: '99 cab clamshell sticks