996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Spare key

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 03:21 AM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Just pay the freight and have Porsche make you a new key. You won't save money but you wi'll save time and grief. And your problem will be solved in less time then it takes to read this thread.
Old 03-12-2017, 05:28 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 456 Likes on 295 Posts

Same probs as all of you on my 996 and Boxste'. My 914s....$3 for a new key at the key shop down the street.

Ain't technology wonderful?
Old 03-12-2017, 01:49 PM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 263 Posts

OK...need to bite the bullet and order from Suncoast. One question is still not answered though that my curiosity will not leave alone. How does the car know that the Transponder is in the key if I have no battery in the fob. My 996 still functions perfect without battery. doors, ignition all work like normal working with the blade. THe only thing I figure is the transponder must be some sort of passive RFID. No?
Old 03-12-2017, 02:09 PM
RngTrtl
Drifting

Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by lowpue
OK...need to bite the bullet and order from Suncoast. One question is still not answered though that my curiosity will not leave alone. How does the car know that the Transponder is in the key if I have no battery in the fob. My 996 still functions perfect without battery. doors, ignition all work like normal working with the blade. THe only thing I figure is the transponder must be some sort of passive RFID. No?
The transponder in the key fob is a passive device. It works kinda like RFID chips.
Old 03-12-2017, 02:42 PM
Southern Man
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

My '02 came with two original keys. One without a circuit board, the other had one. Worked fine for about a year, then suddenly started draining batteries within 24 hours. For last four years I've simply used the key to unlock the door, but there are times when the remote would be nice.

Pill and blades for both keys work fine, so I'm assuming I just need the head piece with a new circuit board and then have the dealer program it? $300-$400 bucks seems like a lot to spend on something like this, so I've learned to live with it. (Unusual for me as I usually like everything working as designed.)
Old 03-12-2017, 09:16 PM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by RngTrtl
The transponder in the key fob is a passive device. It works kinda like RFID chips.
Thanks....
Old 03-12-2017, 11:45 PM
Rdrcr
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by johnireland
Just pay the freight and have Porsche make you a new key. You won't save money but you wi'll save time and grief. And your problem will be solved in less time then it takes to read this thread.
Yeah, my local Porsche dealer didn't want to program the key I bought from suncoast. Apparently my 'Indy' has the correct tools so I'm going to have him program the new key once my 996 requires its next service.

Mike
Old 03-14-2017, 11:08 AM
sfv_rider
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car came with jusr one key and I was uncomfortable with that situation.

I bought two remotes on eBay for $150 each from a local Porsche dealer, and had keysinthepost cut the blade from a photo ($30 each), and took the lot to a local indy to have the three keys paired with the immobilizer for $90.

The indy had to contact Porsche USA with the VIN to get a programming code, but other than that, all went well. $300 for two new keys, and off I went.
Old 03-15-2017, 06:58 PM
Rick_K
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had one key with remote function and one valet key. The remote portion stopped working because the little micro button failed/broke....so I ordered two new remote keys at the dealer and had my car serviced while it was there. The dealer forgot the keys altogether, the whole reason why I was there, so I ended up getting one key for free and the other is ordered....He quoted me 500 for both keys now I owe 250....It still sucks when you look inside the remote.....Targa model

Quick Reply: Spare key