Sponsored by:

Spare key

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 03:22 PM
Jeremy Hazeltine
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Spare key

I only have 1 key for my 99, and that concerns me sometimes. Can only the porsche dealer make another? Whats the ballpark cost?
Old 03-11-2017, 03:45 PM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 259 Posts

you can have a key blade made by keyinthepost.com. Just take a picture of your key and send it in online. I just did this and waiting on delivery...it was $32
https://keysinthepost.com/
Old 03-11-2017, 04:54 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by lowpue
you can have a key blade made by keyinthepost.com. Just take a picture of your key and send it in online. I just did this and waiting on delivery...it was $32
https://keysinthepost.com/
That key will unlock the door but it won't start the car. You need a key with transponder chip and then that key will have to be paired with the car. Wish it were as simple as $32.
Old 03-11-2017, 06:46 PM
CarlOrton
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I bought my car, it only had one key with no remote-enabled fob. Had a fob, but just had an LED flashlight in it.

Story was that the guy traded it in, left without leaving the key(s), and the dealer couldn't get them from him (or he threw them away or whatever).

Dealer had a new blank cut, had the chip paired to the car, and got the el cheapo fob. When I obtained a correct functioning replacement, it was about $300. Something like $150 for the blade, 150 for the fob, and 75 or so to pair the new key to the alarm system. Had to use the Porsche dealer for this. Dealer would not order key unless I produced the title. Even registration was no good, as, according to them, anyone could register a vehicle regardless of ownership. So I would guess that a functional key with no remote unlock capability would probably be about $200.
Old 03-11-2017, 07:32 PM
Jeremy Hazeltine
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 58 Posts

I currently have a functioning blade with correct fob. Can i purchase the blade/fob elsewhere for cheaper, and have the dealer program it? Or is it easier to just have them do it all?
Old 03-11-2017, 08:01 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy Hazeltine
I currently have a functioning blade with correct fob. Can i purchase the blade/fob elsewhere for cheaper, and have the dealer program it? Or is it easier to just have them do it all?
Here's one source for the key head. Good locksmith can cut the blade so you're up to about $200 (with shipping) + whatever the dealer will charge. Might also check eBay or maybe better off to just use your local dealer.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/996RECONTROL.html
Old 03-11-2017, 08:20 PM
USNA1970
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I went through this.

It might be around $400 at dealer.
$350 for fully funtional key. They cut the blade and provide fully funtional head with RF pill etc.
$150 to program car to key.

You can get most of this stuff done on the internet etc, but might be hard to get someone to program your car to the new key. That part is usually an hour of labor at dealer.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:41 PM
dkasserra
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you buy a key from keysinthepost.com with a transponder will a dealer program it for you? Do you need any special information beyond ownership of he car? Somewhere I read you need a special code that comes with the key transponder.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:53 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

What a major pain in the A$$!
Old 03-11-2017, 09:12 PM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
That key will unlock the door but it won't start the car. You need a key with transponder chip and then that key will have to be paired with the car. Wish it were as simple as $32.
So here is what I don't understand. When I got my 996 years ago I had two keys...one with the fob working and one that had a non functioning fob. Yet even the key with the non function fob works for opening the door lock and also starting the car. I just cant open remotely. So if that is true, why do I need a transponder. The key blade I just ordered for my sons boxster is without a transponder because I have my GT3 I am parting out whose fob I was planning on using that but never pair since I could do this with my 996 it stands to reason I can do it with our 986. Can someone help me understand what is the function of the fob if I have been using a key with dead fob for years.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:32 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

Fob has THREE devices in it.
One is the key blade. This will unlock the door and turn the ignition but no start.

Two is the transponder pill When this is paired to the car(actually the immobilizer) the car will now start when the blade turns the ign switch.

Three the RF circuit board. When paired to the immobilizer this will lock and unlock the door locks remotely when the buttons are pressed.

So RF board breaks down, remote functions stop working. Blade good, transponder good = manual door lock/unlock works, key in ign car starts,runs fine.

RF board good, transponder bad, remote or blade opens doors ignition switch turns car no start.

In your 996 case, RF board bad, transponder good, blade good, car starts and runs.

In your 986case transponder pill not paired to immobilizer? Car no start.

Last edited by fpb111; 03-11-2017 at 10:48 PM.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:47 PM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Wow, thanks....this is a great explanation. So does that mean that the transponder is a passive device? This still seams to work when the battery is dead. This also means I do need to get a fob from Porsche. My next question is can they program any fob to be paired with the transponder and RF circuit board as long as it is a fob from that era. In addition, can I program a 2007 GT3 fob to work with a 2001 or 200 car or are they completely different. Would be great if I can used my totaled GT3 fobs.

Anyway, thanks for all the advise.

Originally Posted by fpb111
One is the key blade. This will unlock the door and turn the ignition but no start.

Two is the transponder pill When this is paired to the car(actually the immobilizer) the car will now start when the blade turns the ign switch.

Three the RF circuit board. When paired to the immobilizer this will lock and unlock the door locks remotely when the buttons are pressed.

So RF board breaks down, remote functions stop working. Blade good, transponder good = manual door lock/unlock works, key in ign car starts,runs fine.

RF board good, transponder bad, remote or blade opens doors ignition switch turns car no start.

In your case, RF board bad, transponder good, blade good, car starts and runs.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:58 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

In order to program any functions, transponder/RF circuit the dealer or Indy, if they have the right$$ tool, also needs the 17 digit code that comes with the fob. You can see it on the one in the pic from Suncoast. I did a quick eBay search and Suncoast undercuts all I saw by $15- $20. You will still have to pat Porsche tax on programming the key, bring all working keys with the car and new one or they won't be able to do the job right.

I don't know how many years the fobs cover. I know they fancied up the cover shape sometime after 2005? I bought a used, streamlined case from eBay tossed the useless, to me, guts and replaced them with the blade, board & transponder from one of my, cracked but working, keys for aesthetics.
Old 03-12-2017, 12:03 AM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=fpb111;14024717]In order to program any functions, transponder/RF circuit the dealer or Indy, if they have the right$$ tool, also needs the 17 digit code that comes with the fob. You can see it on the one in the pic from Suncoast. I did a quick eBay search and Suncoast undercuts all I saw by $15- $20. You will still have to pay the *Porsche tax on programming the key, bring all working keys with the car and new one or they won't be able to do the job right.

*It takes ~10 minutes to program but the charge is 1 hour.

I don't know how many years the fobs cover. I know they fancied up the cover shape sometime after 2005? I bought a used, streamlined case from eBay tossed the useless, to me, guts and replaced them with the blade, board & transponder from one of my, cracked but working, keys for aesthetics.
Old 03-12-2017, 12:07 AM
RngTrtl
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by fpb111

In your 996 case, RF board bad, transponder good, blade good, car starts and runs.

In your 986case transponder pill not paired to immobilizer? Car no start.
Also worth noting is the RF board arms/disarms the alarm when while locking/unlocking the doors (and I think when you unlock the frunk).

Quick Reply: Spare key