996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

IMS Solution question

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 04:07 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

Well then, I hope you got a nice chunk of $ when you sold it! Judging by the retail price, I'd think you did...Besides that, I know your development time/costs were probably mind blowing - I hope you covered them many times over
Old 04-26-2017, 04:44 PM
njim3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The product is good, i did not see any of these gone bad yet. I don't really need the warranty if my engine blows up. But i trust the product, trust my Indy and thank you the forum.
Old 04-26-2017, 04:56 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Its not about money with me.. I was going to keep the Solution for my own engines. I only sold the technology so it could be used to spank the asses off the copy cats. Those guys loved it when they came along with their "products" (That I already developed 5 years before!) and I was refusing to install Solutions outside of my own engines.

The retail price of the Solution has very little margin in it. The units have may expensive processes carried out, and the DLC coating is carried out in France, requiring every unit to be shipped to, and from. Only one company could develop a DLC process that was optimized for the application. That alone is expensive as hell, and adds months to the production time of a batch of units. The bushing material is also very expensive, and sold by the inch. It also leads to a lot of scrap, due to the design of the bushing, and the fact that the stock is only available in 3" diameter bars, roughly twice the diameter of the IMS Solution bushing.

I sold it for the simple purpose of reducing their success. Thats all I cared about, and all I still care about! Its worth way more than money to me, I can make more of that!

No, there's been ZERO failures of the IMS Solution to date. With nothing to fail, thats to be expected.
Old 02-08-2018, 04:28 PM
Wangta
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by njim3
I have my car with an Indy, he will follow all of the steps from the IMS Solution manual and I believe that things will be good. Once my car is done I will update with pictures and suggest the Indy to become IMS certified installer to serve folks like me in northern California.

Thanks,
Hey njim3 - any chance you can share your indyshop that installed your IMS Solution? I'm in the bay area and would prefer not to ship my car down to LA (I've had two cars incur damage being shipped! 2 for 2!). It wasn't by chance RMG was it?

Jake - I also sent you an email asking the same thing. Surely there is a shop in the Bay Area that has passed your sniff test?
Old 02-08-2018, 04:42 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

[QUOTE=Wangta;14787175

Jake - I also sent you an email asking the same thing. Surely there is a shop in the Bay Area that has passed your sniff test?[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately no. Every shop that Mr. Raby invites from the Bay Area either supports copycat IMS products, or they cannot pass the Certified Installer evaluation.
Old 02-08-2018, 04:56 PM
Wangta
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
Unfortunately no. Every shop that Mr. Raby invites from the Bay Area either supports copycat IMS products, or they cannot pass the Certified Installer evaluation.
My mind = BLOWN
Old 02-09-2018, 02:55 PM
TCallas
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

“RMS and Tranny seals (Should not charge on labor) but an estimate was $800”.

No labor cost, really? Okay let me see what’s included…

The labor price includes (for a Callas Rennsport “RMS Kit”):

- The RMS (Rear Main Seal) removed and replaced with proper factory tools and information.

- The GMS (Gearbox Main-shaft Seal) removed and replaced with proper factory tools and information.

- The Gearbox release bearing guide tube inspected and replaced if necessary.

- The complete gearbox bell housing and rear of engine cleaned and inspected.

- The 4 engine case bolts, as mentioned in the TSB, replaced and other accessible ones tightened.

- All components including the clutch operating fork, ball-pin bushing, slave cylinder, etc all inspected and replaced as necessary.

Here’s what it takes:

1) We had to purchase almost $1,500.00 in tools to replace the Rear main seal, Gearbox main-shaft seal and check the crankshaft-crankcase alignment with a Go-No Go gauge (RMS install tool, GMS removal tool, GMS install tool and crankshaft alignment tool). That’s all once we have the shop, the car in the shop and the car disassembled.

2) I have all USA legal, fully insured, trained, all benefits included, well compensated Porsche technicians.

3) We have all the factory manuals, information, TI’s (Technical Service Bulletins) and even dealer only ATI’s (Advanced Technical Information) Bulletins (this is invaluable and costs I don't know how many tens of thousands of dollars).

4) We offer a 3 year – 36,000 miles warranty on almost all repairs, who else offers this?

5) With Callas Rennsport you have very experienced, knowledgeable and technically trained Porsche technicians servicing and working on your car, this is what everybody prefers, right?

Try taking your store bought steak into a high quality restaurant, ask them to cook it for you and then expect the highest quality at a fair price. Then complain to them stating that you’re not satisfied, then complain online that you weren’t happy with that restaurant, it happens every day in the automotive field…

Thank you,
Tony
Old 02-11-2018, 09:23 AM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by TCallas

Try taking your store bought steak into a high quality restaurant, ask them to cook it for you and then expect the highest quality at a fair price. Then complain to them stating that you’re not satisfied, then complain online that you weren’t happy with that restaurant, it happens every day in the automotive field…
As someone that understands how hard it is to get a $1 to carry from the top line all the way down to the bottom line, especially when you are trying to do things the right way and not cut costs at every corner, I have no issues with your labor charges. You’ve built a national reputation and that should bring a premium. There are a whole lot of people getting compensated more that don’t have a fraction of the talent.

But I think there is a difference between steak and name brand, new in box auto parts. For one, using parts that someone else brought in doesn’t violate any health codes. My company is in a highly technical field and are often asked to do design and installation work of customer supplied eqiupment. We have a nice set of terms that basically says any time spent troubleshooting, RMA’ing, and reinstalling customer provided equipment will be charged at an hourly rate. If they buy it from us, that’s all covered. Like anything else, as long as expectations are set properly up front, most customers are fine with it. And the ones that aren’t were going to be pissed off no matter what we did.

Now as to the tone of my original post, for that I will apologize. It was unnecessarily caustic.

Quick Reply: IMS Solution question