Sponsored by:

Official 996 Sales Pricing - 2017

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 08:23 AM
relinuca
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default My 2cents

Based on a "qiuick scan" of postings, (1) most 1999-2000 996s are trading in the $16-20K range, (2) most have 60-80K miles on them, and (3) many have had a IMSB replacement. And there are outliers at both ends of the price range.

As always, documented maintenance history and a thorough PPI are key to acquiring a good running/long lasting 996, or any other Porsche for that matter.

relinuca
Old 12-08-2017, 11:09 AM
exthree
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

2004 Carrera Cab

996 in Atlas Grey Metallics

18" Light alloy Carrera Wheels
Model: 996.2 C2 Cab
Model Year: 2004
Color: Atlas Grey Metallic
Interior Color: Natural Leather Grey
Milage: 48,905
Transmission: 6-speed
Notable Options: Full leather, Bose, power & heated seats, 18" light alloy Carrera wheels, Xenon
Notable Upgrades: Kenwood head unit

Service History/Manuals (Complete, Partial, None): Owner's manual, oil changed, new Bridgestone's
Condition of vehicle: Very good
PPI: No
Recommended maintenance:
IMS Bearing Status: Original

Asking Price: $33,000
Purchase Price: $32,000
Purchase Date: Sept. 2017
Where Purchased: Pottstown, PA
Private Party or Dealer: Dealer

General Notes:

Last edited by exthree; 12-08-2017 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Correct some descriptions
Old 01-11-2018, 12:47 PM
phease
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Carrera 2 Cab

Hello, New to Rennlist.
Purchased a 2001 Carrera Cab, 58,000 miles, 6 speed, clean carfax and some service records. Black, Tan interior, new top, front seat covers and tires. Listed at $22,000, sold for $20,500 in Atlanta. Original clutch and IMS/RMS. My first Porsche...wanted one since I was a kid. Console top hinge broken, but found a kit on eBay. Planning to replace the hard-to-use radio. The previous owner installed a 'modulator' to allow Bluetooth. It works, but sounds bad and is much quieter than the radio. Also purchased a 2year/24K warranty for some peace mind.

Cheers,

Pat

Last edited by phease; 02-25-2018 at 01:47 PM.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:32 PM
RSBro
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 117 Posts

Never posted my purchase in late Nov., so here goes:

Model: 996 C4S
Model Year: 2003
Color: Black
Interior Color: Black
Mileage: 82,500~
Transmission: Tip
Notable Options: Rear wiper, Supple leather front/rear seats, heated & powered seats, Bose Hi-end/SatNav pkg., SS exhaust pipes, Sport Exhaust, Xenon lights, PSM, 18" Sport Technos (not on there when I bought it, but I purchased a set), Crest in headrests, -10mm lowered seats, $98,890 sticker price(!!)
Notable Upgrades: Prev. owner had installed too small Victor wheels that I'm replacing w/ the S.T.'s mentioned above. USB and iPod interface for stock SatNav system. LED lighting under front hood and rear vents that I'm having removed. All else stock (for now).

Service History/Manuals (Complete, Partial, None): Porsche dealer Service history stamps from original owner in Owner's Service book; Recent seller none provided, but was a DD and had 'sort' of PPI done by shop that maintained it for last 3~ years. Was told all fluids regularly done and alternator and water pump done at 80k miles (I think).
Condition of vehicle: Exterior - good/okay; hood has a bump which needs to be flattened; front bumper resprayed and not very well; roof has bump in it; overall respray needed but I realized that before purchase. "Frunk" struts need to be replaced. Interior - very good/excellent, aside from some scraping on driver's side door handle/cards that I plan to redo or have painted or covered anyway. Seats in excellent shape, no rips/tears anywhere. All speakers work, some rattles but not too bad. Missing passenger's side seatbelt pillar cover that I ordered. Driver's side seat heater doesn't work. Engine bay you could eat off of.
PPI: Sort of. All general 'car' mechanical bits good, but IMS not known if done but at this mileage it's not a worry for me.
Recommended maintenance: Considered IMS but at this point not sure, as it would have happened by now if it were to go, so plan on 5-6k oil changes and more regular transmission fluid changes/checks. Full bare-metal respray. Wrap/paint some interior trim pieces. Repair seat heater (maybe, this is Texas after all). Left vent in center dash A/C unit blows less than the right one, so may be some blockage. Want to replace all interior lighting to LEDs. Replace "frunk" struts. Install spacers and Sport Techno wheels. New N-rated Michelins. Considering engine upgrades, but from reading here, may not be worth it. Replaced top cover of both key fobs with new 2-button pieces.

Asking Price: $25,800
Purchase Price: $25,000
Purchase Date: 11/28/17
Where Purchased: Austin, TX
Private Party or Dealer: Private Party

General Notes: First 911 and first Porsche. Glad I went with the 996 over a similar priced Cayman S. Some things I overlooked and could have argued down more but price seemed fair for condition and seller fully disclosed all bigger items. But have learned to ask more questions and check more things next time around, which I feel you can only do after buying a car like this. Not as fast off the line as my old F10 550i, but infinitely more fun to drive and faster at high speeds, and the sound from the Sport Exhaust is just marvelous. I love that it starts as "On" when you turn it over. It's strangely fun to have a car you operate with a key again. Need to diagnose some rattling in the interior and replace the SatNav and amp (since it's an '03) after the exterior has been redone. Considering a Turbo or GT2 front end and GT2 wing/decklid, although the C4S looks great stock from the ***-end view. If offered to buy again, TBH I'd probably consider a different model altogether (like a C2 w/ Aerokit, simply for aesthetics) or find one a little better condition and lower mileage, but next time I'll know as I plan to keep it until 991 C2S or 997 GTS prices come down and I can daily that one, so it'll be in my hands for a while. I never thought I'd want a 911 but then I drove it and understood all the fuss about them. Fantastic cars, and plenty of interior room for a guy that's 6'3!
Old 01-11-2018, 06:01 PM
LeeVel
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Model: Carrera 4
Model Year: 1999
Color: Arena Red
Interior Color: Gray
Milage: 87000
Transmission: 6MT
Notable Options: 3 spoke steering wheel; CD changer in the frunk
Notable Upgrades:

Service History/Manuals (Complete, Partial, None): Carfax history only; no owner's manual
Condition of vehicle: Exterior - perfect; interior - tired but not worn
PPI: None, just a test drive
Recommended maintenance: N/A
IMS Bearing Status: Original.

Asking Price: 15950
Purchase Price: 14700
Purchase Date: 12/17
Where Purchased: OKC

General Notes: Test drive revealed significant clutch slippage. Part of the purchase deal was clutch replacement and also IMS inspect/replace. Opinion was replacement not needed. The job was done by an independent mechanic. I won't live in fear the thing will grenade itself, but I sure hope it doesn't. A couple things I can't figure out without an owner's manual. Maybe they need to be addressed by a pro. On the heater controls, it seems to make no difference whether I push the up arrow button, the oval grid button, or the down arrow button, the air blows out of every vent. I want footwell only air. The other thing is the mirror dip in reverse. No matter how I program the seat memory - in neutral, in reverse, or in 1st gear - the passenger mirror dips. I don't want it to.

I was looking for an all wheel drive car, and this one popped up in the search. After some research here, I went for it. I was last in a Porsche Carrera in 1984, and to me it sounded like my sister's VW squareback wagon and looked like it had a high chair tray for a giant baby on the back of it. (Heresy? At least you couldn't see the road under the pedals in it.) Anyway, this one is not like that at all. I can see my son's 350Z was an attempt to copy this car. Kinda the same shape and even orange gauge lighting. This Carrera is fun and has a linear power pull up the revs. It feels more substantial than its size, but doesn't roll in turns. So far so good with this car.
Attached Images  
Old 01-11-2018, 06:39 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

Who's putting a 2017 graph together?
Old 01-11-2018, 10:49 PM
Nein_11
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 15 Posts

Model: 996 C2
Color: Arctic Silver
Interior Color: Black
Mileage: 68,423
Transmission: 6MT
Notable Options: Full Leather, 8 way power seats, drive memory seat, 2 x cd compartment
Notable Upgrades: Completely stock

Service History/Manuals (Complete, Partial, None): Porsche dealer Service history stamps from original owner in Owner's Service book @ 30k Porsche in Raleigh, NC; Clean Carfax but no other records provided after 2008

Condition of vehicle: Exterior -I would give the exterior is excellent a 9.5 out of 10, there was minor touch up work done on the driver side door. Indy shop believes it was done by Porsche dealership. Color is spot on. Interior - very good/excellent, only real flaw was some scuffs/wear on the hood release and a few tiny scrapes on the leather wheel.
PPI: Rolled the dice. Had a Post purchase inspection done at a local Indy called Lufteknic. Engine is very strong, needs brakes soon, motor and trans have never been separated.
Recommended maintenance: 60k service, clutch and IMS, tires.

Asking Price: 17,850
Purchase Price:17,850
Purchase Date: 12/15/2017
Where Purchased: Manassas, VA

General Notes: I rolled the dice on this car without having a pre purchase inspection done. I was really in the market for a C4S, but I saw this posting come up on Auto trader. Decided I would make the 2hr drive up from Richmond to the dealer. I saw it had a PCA sticker in the window and it peeked my interest. I went up there thinking it would be a rag, but the walk around, my thorough inspection, and test drive proved me wrong. The car was super clean, and ran like a top. I have always been a gearhead and this 911 passed all the points on my inspection sheet. Put down a deposit, and came back with cash the next day. I have been loving it ever since. Put on a new set of tires, replaced the side markers and taillights with OEM clear tails for an updated look. The indy shop that did the post purchase inspection, Lufteknic gave me great insight into future maintenance. And I will be having them do the RMS IMS and clutch so I can enjoy this car for many years to come. For an early build date April 1998, it sure looks and performs great for 20 years old! Here is is after its bath today.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:44 PM
texcwa
Racer

Model: 996 C2
Model Year: 2004
Color: Atlas Grey Metallic
Interior Color: Graphite Grey
Milage: 52,500
Transmission: Manual
Notable Options: Short Shift, Sport Seats, Alu-Look Package
Notable Upgrades: Clear bra

Service History/Manuals (Complete): Service records from day it was 1st sold, Oil changes every 3k-6k miles (or annual), receipts for everything (including wiper blades!) All manuals, New Tires & Brakes
Condition of vehicle: 9+

After adding new Kinesis F110 wheels

PPI: No, had Porsche Guru friend look over
IMS Bearing Status: I had LNE installed within a week (along with RMS and Clutch)

Asking Price: $27,000
Purchase Price: $25,000
Purchase Date: May, 2016
Where Purchased: Northern California
Old 01-14-2018, 05:48 AM
RT_955TT_KY
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Had mine for a few months now and just ran across this post

as a point of reference:

Model: C2 cab
Color: black
Interior Color: black
Milage: 142000
Transmission: 6 speed manual
Notable Options: basic items
Notable Upgrades: unknown spoiler that apparently no one has ever seen before. Recent new top, fresh high end repaint in 2016 due to bumper damage, no structural issues at all. Very deep black paint in great shape.

Service History/Manuals (Complete, Partial, None)artial history and did some detective work to get most of the past 10 years
Condition of vehicle: very good
PPI: self
Recommended maintenance: nothing immediate
IMS Bearing Status: ims was replaced with LN, but has aged out.

Asking Price:11,500
Purchase Price:9,000
Purchase Date:9/19/2017
Where Purchased: BMW louisvlle
Private Party or Dealer: dealer

General Notes: widow traded for a new 3 series

engine swapped about 20k ago with used unknown prior history on the engine. P.O. pretty much did what his Indy suggested. Very happy with super clean car. Had LED upgraded 997 tails, and God awful LED headlight replacements.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:04 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 671 Likes on 365 Posts

I just received a clean PPI report on an 05 Carrera with IMS fix, and just under 100k miles. Needs set of tires. Purchase price $21,500. I know this is a 996 thread, but thought I’d post here as a point of interest. I think I’m getting a great deal, not necessarily reflective of general values.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:27 PM
todcp
Instructor

Model: C4
Model Year: 2001
Color: silver
Milage: 47,000
Transmission: 6 speed manual
Notable Options: basic items plus Fabspeed Mufflers and old style Fabspeed intake.
Notable Upgrades: The dealer had the LN Pro installed by a Indy he trusted. Also Clutch and RMS.

Service History/Manuals Serviced twice each year. 30,000 mile full service by Porsche dealer and most services at Porsche dealer.
PPI: self
Recommended maintenance: Replaced plugs, oil and tranny oil. New air filter. Added LN filter kit.
IMS Bearing Status: ims was replaced with LN Pro just prior to delivery to me. Old IMS was in fine condition.

Asking Price:24,500
Purchase Price:21,000 plus 2750 for IMS, Clutch and RMS.
Purchase Date:Aug 2017
Where Purchased: VW of Rochester NH. A friend and trusted dealer. This was traded in.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:44 AM
yamasaki
Advanced

Model: Cab
Model Year: 2000
Color: arctic silver
Milage: bought it w/ 53k, now has 54k
Transmission: 6spd manual
Notable Options: 18" turbo twists and hardtop
Notable Upgrades: none

Service History/Manuals (Complete, Partial, None): partial
PPI: self and dealer inspected
Recommended maintenance: unknown
IMS Bearing Status: Upgraded 2nd week I owned car to TuneRS DOF IMS Kit (at TuneRS)

Asking Price: $25,995
Purchase Price: $21000
Purchase Date: 12-20-16
Where Purchased: Exotic Motors Midwest (Missouri)

General Notes: Nothing special in particular. Very clean, tight, mostly original cab. Found some butt connectors on stock Amp. Looks like it had an aftermarket amp at some point in it's life.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:37 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,493 Likes on 1,841 Posts

I may kill the curve here

Model: Coupe
Model Year: 2000
Color: arctic silver origiinally, but glass out respray to guards red
Milage: bought it w/ 198k
Transmission: 6spd manual
Notable Options: power memory seats
Notable Upgrades: bilstin b4 struts w/lowering springs, rear rss dogbones, front gmg tierods and gt3 control arms, cage, new clutch, new rear main, big brake upgrade, 19" mesh style wheels.

Service History/Manuals (Complete, Partial, None): partial
Condition of vehicle: fair-good, interior very good for a 198k mile car
Recommended maintenance: unknown
IMS Bearing Status: done at an indy shop in WA state. Have a copy of the receipt

Asking Price: $10k
Purchase Price: $4500
Purchase Date: 12-15-17
Where Purchased: off the Pelican board
Private Party or Dealer: private

General Notes: So i bought this car site unseen as a roller. It was 4/sale for about 6 months as the po had slid it off the track and cracked the oil pan/cover. It also landed on the front boot and cracked a rad. I bought this car to put a LS motor in, but for $150, rented a tig machine, i fixed the motor. My plan now is to drive the wheel off it . I put a few hours into the car replacing plastic bits in the front end, swaping in upgraded rads and banging out the boot and now its hard to tell it was even damage

I
Old 01-30-2018, 01:19 PM
bbboomer67
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Model: 996 C2 Cab
Model Year: 2002
Color: Lapis Blue
Interior Color: Grey
Milage: 67,000
Transmission: Manual
Notable Options:
Notable Upgrades:

Service History/Manuals (Complete, Partial, None): Partial since 2012
Condition of vehicle: Excellent
PPI: No. I had flown to NC to stay with a friend and drive to see an '82 911SC in VA. The SC was not a good car. On the way back to home in NC, we found this car at a dealership in Lenoir. It was the personal car belonging to a salesman who had kept the car for 6 years and who had excellent service records. I took a chance and purchased the car without a PPI as there was no time. I drove the car 1,000 miles home with no issues at all. The IMSB looked like new when replaced.
Recommended maintenance:
IMS Bearing Status: Wasn't done, but as soon as I got home I had the IMSB, clutch, flywheel, and RMS done...failed to include the AOS which I should have done as well.

Asking Price: $19,995
Purchase Price: $17,000
Purchase Date: 10/30/17
Where Purchased: NC

General Notes: Love the Lapis Blue color and am looking forward to drives on twisty roads this spring. The car sits in my basement on a Battery Tender

Old 03-04-2018, 10:54 PM
Lely
2nd Gear

Model: 911 Carerra (996.2)
Model Year: 2002
Color: Arctic Silver
Interior Color: Graphite Grey
Milage: 47,750
Transmission: 6M
Notable Options: Xenox Lights - Bose Stereo
Notable Upgrades: Touchscreen Bluetooth, Short Throw Sifter, 997 Air Filter, RMS

Service History/Manuals (Complete, Partial, None): Complete + DIY
Condition of vehicle: Excellent
PPI: No
Recommended maintenance: Not Sure Yet
IMS Bearing Status: Not Upgraded, Orignal Still Installed

Asking Price: $22,000
Purchase Price: $20,750
Purchase Date: 3/3/18
Where Purchased: Twin Cities, MN

General Notes:

Quick Reply: Official 996 Sales Pricing - 2017