tomaco1
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It didn’t shift very well, so I’m thinking it was one of the cheaper ones
Old 03-21-2020, 06:22 PM
Brian996
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I still have two left to sell. One has been completely restored to black alcantara with red stitching done by dallas steering wheel with skirt. The other is new leather no skirt. When I switched to these not only did things look better but I felt like my shift throws were much shorter. The stock shifter is way to tall. Or you can buy a new one from suncoast.

Old 07-03-2023, 09:29 AM
Atgani
Burning Brakes

Received 478 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by DeanClevername
I bought a 997 shifter off ebay and then some billet shift bushings from Phenix Engineering. Overall it's a pretty decent setup, no increase in notchiness, slightly shorter throws, more precise gates. It's a far cry from the short shift kits that make it feel more like a snickety-snickety miata shifter, but it works.

The "loose in the roots" feeling is still present to some extent, though not as bad and it no longer bothers me when actually driving.

https://phenixengineering.com/shop/p...t-bushing-kit/
Yep, I know, holy thread resurrection Batman ....

I've received a set of the Phenix bushes this morning. First impressions ? Not overly impressed.
I've got two shifter consoles, one a used 997.2 GT3 item and the other the 996 C2 item out of the car.
The bushes don't appear to fit into the smaller bores of the 997 console, and whilst I get the need for tight tolerances, I'm not convinced I can actually get them into the console (I have tried without success, but if I should manage to get them in, they definitely won't come out easily/at all/without trashing the console)
Phenix state their bushes are "A direct replacement for the factory plastic shift bushings" on their webpage. We shall see when/if I can get them into the 997 console ...

I've also tried them in the 996 console, they dropped in (literally) but accordingly there's excessive radial play between the bushes and the console (which hopefully the fitment of the snap rings that secure the bushes will reduce/remove) but also between the bushes and the bosses of the lever assembly, along with axial play between the same.

Not really the fix I was hoping for.

Old 07-03-2023, 09:41 AM
wdb
Rennlist Member

Received 1,215 Likes on 661 Posts

Originally Posted by Atgani
Yep, I know, holy thread resurrection Batman ....

I've received a set of the Phenix bushes this morning. First impressions ? Not overly impressed.
I've got two shifter consoles, one a used 997.2 GT3 item and the other the 996 C2 item out of the car.
The bushes don't appear to fit into the smaller bores of the 997 console, and whilst I get the need for tight tolerances, I'm not convinced I can actually get them into the console (I have tried without success, but if I should manage to get them in, they definitely won't come out easily/at all/without trashing the console)
Phenix state their bushes are "A direct replacement for the factory plastic shift bushings" on their webpage. We shall see when/if I can get them into the 997 console ...

I've also tried them in the 996 console, they dropped in (literally) but accordingly there's excessive radial play between the bushes and the console (which hopefully the fitment of the snap rings that secure the bushes will reduce/remove) but also between the bushes and the bosses of the lever assembly, along with axial play between the same.

Not really the fix I was hoping for.
I suggest you look at the Function First kit. It might address the issues you are seeing with those others.

Quick Reply: 996 shifter upgrades ?