Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Succumbing to getting the whole shebang done - where to go?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2017 | 02:27 PM
HandsomeRob
Intermediate

Default Succumbing to getting the whole shebang done - where to go?

So, I have had a 2001 911 C2 with 75k miles for the last two years. I love driving the car but haven't been able to get past the looming catastrophic failure time bomb that is the IMS bearing. Whether the fear is rational or not at this point is irrelevant because I can't turn off the part of my brain that worries about it.

I would like to do the whole IMS, RMS, AOS, and clutch service and just be done with it. I just got the estimate from Flat6 and they are asking $4900 for just the IMS solution and another $1000 or so to add the RMS, AOS, and Clutch. I'd also have to cover shipping to and from. That said I was wondering if anyone has used someone within an hour or two of MEMPHIS for a similar service and how that experience went...and about how much it cost?
Old 02-16-2017 | 03:30 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Hi Handsome Rob,

Have you read the M96 "50 ways to lose your motor"?
Old 02-16-2017 | 03:48 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HandsomeRob
So, I have had a 2001 911 C2 with 75k miles for the last two years. I love driving the car but haven't been able to get past the looming catastrophic failure time bomb that is the IMS bearing. Whether the fear is rational or not at this point is irrelevant because I can't turn off the part of my brain that worries about it.

I would like to do the whole IMS, RMS, AOS, and clutch service and just be done with it. I just got the estimate from Flat6 and they are asking $4900 for just the IMS solution and another $1000 or so to add the RMS, AOS, and Clutch. I'd also have to cover shipping to and from. That said I was wondering if anyone has used someone within an hour or two of MEMPHIS for a similar service and how that experience went...and about how much it cost?
Here's a list of the Certified Installers:

http://theimssolution.com/certified-installers/

If you want it done right and warrantied select one of these shops.
Old 02-16-2017 | 04:22 PM
Sneaky Pete
Nordschleife Master

I can't believe no one has asked for pics........
Old 02-16-2017 | 05:02 PM
ejdoherty911
Three Wheelin'

Looks like Flat 6 is your closest option. If you are going to keep the car for a few more years just suck it up, pay the money, and go for it. Since you're getting "the solution" from Flat 6 the car will be more desirable to buyers in the future. These cars ain't cheap. I just spent close to $4,000 replacing most of the suspension on mine at 120k miles.
Old 02-16-2017 | 05:05 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

If your goal is piece of mind while driving, Just send it to Flat 6 and pay the freight. Yes, it's a few bucks higher, but think of how you will KNOW that it was all done right, and you can enjoy your car fully on the other side.

disclaimer, I've never spent a penny with them, likely never will but Jake is a Marine, so unless you really **** him off, I think you'll be very happy with the outcome. Sounds like you are going to keep your car for > 10 years. If it cost you an extra $1000 to have it done there, that's a $100/year amortized. Can't buy insurance for less than that anywhere. If you drive 100,000 over that ten years, it works out to 10 cents a mile for the next decade. Buy Dunkin coffee and stay away from Starbucks, and you'll pay for the extra in a year or so. pfft
Old 02-16-2017 | 05:13 PM
suprmedic
Advanced

Those prices are a little on the crazy side. I had my IMS AOS RMS done for $2200 Mechanic said my clutch was essentially new otherwise would have been $2900. Shop around- find a local Porsche tech/ mechanic and build a relationship with them.
Old 02-16-2017 | 05:14 PM
rolex11
Pro

HandsomeRob...has anyone ever mentioned you are very handsome? Oops...

I just went thru this decision this month. If you go to this thread...

"Dropped the oil sump....w/pics...thoughts..."

go to post #36 and I describe what I had done, where I had it done, I have photos of my receipts showing costs. The 2 links I included show the IMSB product and also the RMS product they invented. Their RMS product is more than just the seal itself, it includes a housing which they developed to fix another issue.

Vertex Auto where I had mine done is also EPS. It is 20 miles from me in South Miami. They invented their own IMSB product "External fix with oil pressure feed". I actually shook the hand of the man who developed it.

Disclaimer: I just had it done a week or so ago, so I have no long term info.
But I was very impressed with the entire group of people there. The inventor walked me thru a working model they had set up there of how it works. As you will read it is a life time fix, not a rip it out in 5 years or 75K miles and replace it.

IMSB, RMS w/housing, AOS, and new clutch including new flywheel, was $4,300 out the door.

Feel free to PM me. Leave your number and I am more than happy to talk particulars.
Old 02-16-2017 | 05:20 PM
rolex11
Pro

...just to be clear, you don't have to have it done here in S. Florida. They sell a kit which can be installed by others. I'm sure if you called, they may be able to provide a shop in your area who uses there products.

I felt better having the shop that invented it, install it. Probably is what pushed me into using it, along with location, truth be told. Kind of like having Jake at Flatsix install his "solution" right there in his own shop by his guys.
Old 02-16-2017 | 05:25 PM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

$5,000 for a solution install?

Curious what that breakdown looks like

part: $1,700 MSRP
labor: 10 hours @ $200/hr (premium for a premium shop) = $2,000
unicorn semen, generous helping: $1,300
Old 02-16-2017 | 06:26 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Have you dropped the sump and looked inside or cut open an oil filter? What has you so wound up about driving it, funny noises?
Old 02-16-2017 | 06:35 PM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

I believe Flat6's price is for their "ultimate total life time never need to do it again solution" vs just changing the bearing to a newer design. I would venture that the cost also includes qualifying the engine as well.

Whatever IMSB system you chose, Jakes or someone elses, it is equally as important who does the work. I wouldn't want to just buy the part and then give the job to someone who has only done one or two...or even three or four. I'd want the best tech that money could buy because this job done badly is worse than staying with your orginal factory bearing. And that leaves you with the same night sweats plus less a few thousand dollars.

As for the other items on you list...there is wisdom in the old saying, "if it isn't broken, don't fix it."
Old 02-16-2017 | 06:48 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TonyTwoBags
$5,000 for a solution install?

Curious what that breakdown looks like

part: $1,700 MSRP
labor: 10 hours @ $200/hr (premium for a premium shop) = $2,000
unicorn semen, generous helping: $1,300
Solution + 14 hours labor including clutch, RMS and AOS = $4.7K at a certified installer.
Old 02-16-2017 | 07:11 PM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Solution + 14 hours labor including clutch, RMS and AOS = $4.7K at a certified installer.
Sure, I'm well aware of the nature of the bill. I went through that exact process in June of last year (and am very happy). My critique was directed at FSI charging $6-7k for a job that similarly trained techs can economically offer for less. Notice how OP notes $4900 for Solution only, then $1k+ for AOS/RMS.

There's a lot of meat on that bone.
Old 02-16-2017 | 07:24 PM
HandsomeRob
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete
I can't believe no one has asked for pics........
The unsuspecting victim.

Quick Reply: Succumbing to getting the whole shebang done - where to go?