Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Succumbing to getting the whole shebang done - where to go?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2017 | 04:56 PM
Bash Hat
Three Wheelin'

Can someone grab their guitar and break out with the kumbaya, stat!!
Old 02-17-2017 | 08:07 PM
Spork
Instructor

Dang, I knew the mere mention of an LS swap would get the natives riled up (oops, it that politically incorrect as well?) but I didn't think it would raise quite that much ruckus!

Anyway, while I do love the sound of my 3.4 flat six, I have been a hot rodder since the 70's and love the sound of a cammed up, lumpy idling V8. Not a novice when it comes to swapping out engines either.

The Porsche engine has adequate power but I certainly don't have to worry about detached retinas when I dump the clutch. Yes, I know this car isn't all about power but then why did they make a TT version? And like Mario said, "You only have enough power when you can spin the tires all the way from one curve to the next"!
Attached Images  
Old 02-17-2017 | 08:35 PM
Bash Hat
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Spork
Dang, I knew the mere mention of an LS swap would get the natives riled up (oops, it that politically incorrect as well?) but I didn't think it would raise quite that much ruckus!

Anyway, while I do love the sound of my 3.4 flat six, I have been a hot rodder since the 70's and love the sound of a cammed up, lumpy idling V8. Not a novice when it comes to swapping out engines either.

The Porsche engine has adequate power but I certainly don't have to worry about detached retinas when I dump the clutch. Yes, I know this car isn't all about power but then why did they make a TT version? And like Mario said, "You only have enough power when you can spin the tires all the way from one curve to the next"!

You bring up a great point but how about this: sell your 996 and buy a 996TT. The cost difference is probably not far off keeping your 996 and doing LS conversion.
Old 02-17-2017 | 08:48 PM
jb1007
Instructor

IMS(LN single row pro)RMS, AOS, Water pump, thermostat, belt, coolant, LN spin on filter, Porsche update coolant cap. All with loving care and a certified LN installer here in Ohio. 6yr/75 for the IMS before I need to touch it again and the clutch was like new.(only 12k miles on car)
$3400.00 and some change.
Old 02-17-2017 | 08:58 PM
Spork
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bash Hat
You bring up a great point but how about this: sell your 996 and buy a 996TT. The cost difference is probably not far off keeping your 996 and doing LS conversion.
I've defiantly thought about this as well.

My car is worth what $16K to $18K? Whats my engine worth, $4k to $5K? Also have a stainless exhaust system I could sell. I could get an LS and do a rebuild for maybe $6K all in. Then Renegades kit for like $3500. I think I could do the swap for under $10K. I'd still have my Brembo brakes, shifter, and other mods in a super clean 66K mile car.

What would a TT go for? Could I get one for $26K to $28K, even $30K with equal miles? Besides no IMS, do they have any other issues similar to the M96 engine (AOS, water pump, etc)?

(More than likely, I'm just going to do basic PM stuff to the existing motor and drive the **** out of it. If it blows, then I'll worry about it!).
Old 02-17-2017 | 09:02 PM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Spork
I've defiantly thought about this as well.

My car is worth what $16K to $18K? Whats my engine worth, $4k to $5K? Also have a stainless exhaust system I could sell. I could get an LS and do a rebuild for maybe $6K all in. Then Renegades kit for like $3500. I think I could do the swap for under $10K. I'd still have my Brembo brakes, shifter, and other mods in a super clean 66K mile car.
Defiantly, eh?
Old 02-17-2017 | 09:17 PM
Spork
Instructor

Originally Posted by TonyTwoBags
Defiantly, eh?

Oops, damn spell check! On second thought, maybe I am being a little bit defiant about it!
Old 02-17-2017 | 11:21 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Bash Hat
Can someone grab their guitar and break out with the kumbaya, stat!!

Prolly would want to avoid it or someone may find you sacrilegious.
Old 02-18-2017 | 12:27 AM
HandsomeRob
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jb1007
IMS(LN single row pro)RMS, AOS, Water pump, thermostat, belt, coolant, LN spin on filter, Porsche update coolant cap. All with loving care and a certified LN installer here in Ohio. 6yr/75 for the IMS before I need to touch it again and the clutch was like new.(only 12k miles on car)
$3400.00 and some change.
Thank you for the useful feedback... that seems very reasonable for everything you got done. Ohio is a bit of a hike from here or I'd be setting up an appointment.

So, after getting all that done... tell me about the drive home without that lingering fear of hearing the death rattle.
Old 02-18-2017 | 12:32 AM
HandsomeRob
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bpu699
Jack Raby's solution seems top notch...

I was skimming his home page, and noticed that the warranty is immediately void if the car EVER goes on a race track, even for HPDE...

I can understand why that's so, but, that really limits what you can do with your car if you want the warranty in effect...
That is pretty disappointing on a couple of levels... I can't believe I missed that for one... and HPDE isn't like 24 hour Enduro racing... I would hope that the IMS Solution would be robust enough to handle 20 minutes of hard driving at a time.
Old 02-18-2017 | 03:26 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Maybe Jake can chime in. He tracks his car and I'd like to know why ones warranty would be void.
What would the potential issue's be?

Last edited by 808Bill; 02-20-2017 at 01:42 AM.
Old 02-18-2017 | 09:27 AM
bpu699

http://flat6innovations.com/index.php/engines/warranty

Read the warranty... Unless I am missing something?

Says the moment you touch a track, no warranty applies on their motors... Is it the same for the ims upgrades?

Can't say for sure, perhaps jake chimes in...
Old 02-18-2017 | 10:52 AM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by HandsomeRob
That is pretty disappointing on a couple of levels... I can't believe I missed that for one... and HPDE isn't like 24 hour Enduro racing... I would hope that the IMS Solution would be robust enough to handle 20 minutes of hard driving at a time.
It's not about the Solution so much as it is the risk of another mode of failure cascading & destroying the engine. Misdiagnosis could then be sent back to him with the expectation of fixing it, which is risk he'd rather not live with.

The FSI engine line has track-oriented builds that use the solution for extensive tracking. I had it installed because the idea of turning a major weakness of an engine into a relative strength is a no brainer for long term ownership. I take mine on long drives out west & for safety as much as convenience, reliability is a biggie. So far I've done 5 or 6 1,000 mile trips and have only been stranded once near home by a $13 coolant joint. It's been a reliable car for me, but I won't be tracking it.

I don't really value the warranty on a product like the Solution that highly. Installation is thorough & the design was used on the air cooled cars that experienced very few ims related failures over quite a large pool of cars. If your risk is that low, imo you should focus on other ways to keep the engine running a long time (good oil, driving style, diligent servicing, etc).
Old 02-18-2017 | 12:20 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Providing warranty on a track engine would be a huge risk. The variety of care, maintenance and use is too large and impactful. That being said, I know Jake has done a lot of "no charge" work on his engines that weren't under warranty. That way he gets to do it because he values his customers, not because a lawyer can force him to. It also allows him to walk away without recourse if the guy is being a total douche about it.
Old 02-20-2017 | 12:07 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

I'd never consider a warranty on any engine going to the track. Once a vehicle leaves public streets of highways, the user assumes responsibility for life, limb, and engine. Its a big boy sport where risks are real.

My program has always been this way, even with aircooled Porsche engines.

My up front way of doing business keeps everyone honest from day #1. No finger pointing exercises here when someone misses a shift and wants me to pay for it. This has worked for me for the last 22 years, and it doesn't take a warranty to sell a well- proven engine.

Not once have I ever placed a written warranty on any engine used for AX/DE or competition. That said, if an issue pops up, and the person isn't demanding, turns into a jerk, or expects me to do something, they might be amazed what can happen as much as 5 years after the build date.

I'm not big on warranty, I'd never even think about asking anyone to guarantee anything for my own track car, where I am in control, and they are not.

Everyone won't agree with this, and they aren't supposed to. Yes, I do state this absolutely up front, and in bold letters in every single proposal that I use when engaging with potential purchasers. No punches are pulled, and no fine print is written. If someone wants a warranty on the track, there's lots of liars out there that'll tell them what they want to hear. Will they actually stand behind that generally worthless piece of paper? Thats the question.

There are people out there who buy a product only for a warranty. I've never cared about filling those orders. We spend our time creating things that don't break, and don't need that piece of paper.

Quick Reply: Succumbing to getting the whole shebang done - where to go?