Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

The digging out from my money shift begins.

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 10:29 PM
Kris Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 113 Posts
Default The digging out from my money shift begins.

Some of you may remember that I bought Gators car, and promptly blew it up on the track. Today was step two in getting her back to the track. I dropped the engine and trans. Hardest part was finding that damn third bolt on the AC compressor.

Since the photo is step 2. I'll tell you that step 1 was buying a running 2000 C4 that had been hit in the front.

Step 3 is pulling the motor from the donor car.

Step 4 will be refreshing the donor motor.

Step 5 will be installing refreshed motor and going to the track.

Step 6 will hopefully be breaking even from selling the rest of the parts from the donor car. It's got some nice track bits including a teqequpuiment roll bar, so if you need anything, let me know.
Old 12-30-2016, 10:37 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

Fantastic news. Good luck!
Old 12-30-2016, 10:46 PM
Device2
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Been there done that. Dropping motor, refresh and re-installing it. Good times ahead and I wish you the best.
Old 12-30-2016, 10:48 PM
Gator996
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Never thought I'd see that view of Big Red's motor! Sounds like you have one hell of a good plan Kris. But still...f@&k!
Old 12-30-2016, 11:46 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I miss Gator ('s Avatar's).
Old 12-30-2016, 11:50 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,450 Likes on 956 Posts

What part failed?
Old 12-30-2016, 11:59 PM
MoeMonney
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 127 Posts

Im in the same process, just fixed my motor and resleeved it instead of buying a replacement. good luck! Im very convinced these will go up in value more.

Last edited by MoeMonney; 12-31-2016 at 12:22 AM.
Old 12-31-2016, 12:11 PM
Kris Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by 996AE
What part failed?
Connecting Rod Bolts stretched. At least that is my theory since there were pieces of connecting rod caps on the bottom of the oil pan when pulled.

Now just working on the list of parts to buy for the refresh. Trying to balance making something robust/not spending more than the value of the car on it. I'm going to get an oil analysis done on donor motor and go from there.

Plus, since it is my fault it went, I don't want to spend $20K on it, just to blow it up again, not that I am planning on it.

Although a pain in the butt, I should get out of this without spending much more than time, so if I had to do it again, I could. Again, not planning on it, just my justification for not go all out on a fully rebuilt motor.
Old 12-31-2016, 06:36 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

"Connecting Rod Bolts stretched" & snapped.
This is very useful confirmation of the value of doing all the little upgrades when rebuilding an M96. Nobody ever sees your upgrades and it takes many hours to compile a complete list of the financially justifiable ones , but well worth it in my experience.It is worth noting that many of the pro- refreshed motors have zero upgrades !
I am biased but, Go DIY rebuilds & Go ARP !
Old 01-01-2017, 12:35 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Go billet rods! Once the bolts are stronger, then the stock rod fails. None of my track engines (even DE engines) use stock rods. We used stock rods two times in 2016.
Old 01-01-2017, 12:41 AM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Of course if our favorite Forum member would publish his BOOK ,we would have included upgraded rods in our own build :-). Instead we have to piece together a list from hundreds of snippets of info on many Forums. So We look forward to THE book in 2017.
Jake's hint at a 2017 publication date for his book - The M96 Definitive Guide, is very good news- at last.
But I think we need to encourage Jake to sell a premium version of his book. He has censored it.So the new book will be Raby-lite & polite.Not the guy I enjoy so much .
The original version was too controversial - he thought. The watered down,new book would be O.K. for the sensitive types who want a bedtime P.C. book and drink NA beer. Personally ,I would pay a premium for the uncensored version. I like to have my mechanical misconceptions demolished, my false impressions shattered .I'd love to read something that makes the original engineers of this brilliant but flawed engine squirm. I love the idea that some of the controversial content would send Baz into a (polite & eloquent) rage,make Martin swear and leave the other competitors arguing among themselves.
Bring it (all) on Jake - have some fun with YOUR book. Every sentence does not have to be perfectly parsed and polished but it has to sound like Jake Raby !
Old 01-01-2017, 12:52 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by Schnell Gelb
Of course if our favorite Forum member would publish his BOOK ,we would have included upgraded rods in our own build :-). Instead. we have to piece together a list from hundreds of snippets of info on many Forums. So We look forward to THE book in 2017.
Jake's hint at a 2017 publication date for his book - The M96 Definitive Guide, is very good news- at last.
But I think we need to encourage Jake to sell a premium version of his book. He has censored it.So the new book will be Raby-lite & polite.Not the guy I enjoy so much .
The original version was too controversial - he thought. The watered down,new book would be O.K. for the sensitive types who want a bedtime P.C. book and drink NA beer. Personally ,I would pay a premium for the uncensored version. I like to have my mechanical misconceptions demolished, my false impressions shattered .I'd love to read something that makes the original engineers of this brilliant but flawed engine squirm. I love the idea that some of the controversial content would send Baz into a (polite & eloquent) rage,make Martin swear and leave the other competitors arguing among themselves.
Bring it (all) on Jake - have some fun with YOUR book. Every sentence does not have to be perfectly parsed and polished but it has to sound like Jake Raby !
The book is a step by step assembly guide of a stock engine. It has zero opinion included, and no performance content, or parts lists.

If you have t figured it out yet, money does not motivate me. I care nothing about most of the things people refer to as "success".

No, this World cannot take me at face value. I must censor myself. I promise.

My daughter and I spent New Years Eve cruising in our tank...
Old 01-01-2017, 12:58 AM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

It is a Daimler Ferret . I am very familiar with them ! M1919?
Old 01-01-2017, 01:33 AM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

help us Jake, you're our only hope

One thing I'm curious about in the rebuild process is bank2 temp management. Do you focus on using low temp thermostat, 3rd radiator, better internals to reduce the chance of cylinder/rod failure? So far I've read about conn rods/bolts, cylinder lining, pistons, solution for the ims bearing. Outside of that you have the structural problem on inadequate bank2 cooling design. Do the upgraded parts simply stand up to the abuse, is it the blend of better cooling in aggregate (3rd rad. + LTT) coupled with the better internals that allows your engines to hold up?

Old 01-01-2017, 09:53 AM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Kris Murphy

Step 6 will hopefully be breaking even from selling the rest of the parts from the donor car. It's got some nice track bits including a teqequpuiment roll bar, so if you need anything, let me know.
Lolz....

Subscribed. Glad to see it going together. Hope it works out. What did you give for the smashed C4? That's the trick.

[** cute kid Jake. Disagree about what's needed in terms of an M96 book. The hours of dedicated work on this engine should be filled with op-ed from experience. Otherwise, why bother, why publish? Like has been said, I would pay premium for a less censored, and more secret filled tome. That is, if you really aren't motivated by money, why not let it all hang out? The value of a 'how-to' is directly related to the authors intellectual property. You have vast IP in this area(blatant suck-up, sorry). Not writing the real ins and outs is doing a disservice to the marque. Oh, btw, tanks have tracks. **]

Quick Reply: The digging out from my money shift begins.