Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

The digging out from my money shift begins.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 01:39 AM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Schnell Gelb
So, is the shifter in the car with the dead engine a bit sloppy ?
I ask because of the comments about the GT3 shifter upgrade being 'like a rifle bolt' .
Without any slop in the GT3 shifter bushings, it seems less likely that this expensive mistake would occur. Just thinking about preserving your next engine for more than 117k miles ! Maybe a new shifter makes sense also ?
On a few recent canyon cruises I've had a bit of trouble with gearbox feedback. Have new motor mounts and I'm thinking maybe it's highlighting the weak point of the stock shifter bearings. No money shifts just having to deal with some delayed shifts. It's not a yudge deal, but I can buy in to the idea of going with FFirst or GT3 style bearing upgrades to reduce risk of botched shifts - especially on the track.
Old 04-10-2017, 01:13 PM
Kris Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 113 Posts

And it is BACK.

So happy to report that the car has been up and running for the last three weeks. In fact, I just got back from Summit Point where I was running the Jefferson and Shenandoah tracks.

I was a bit paranoid because I ended up not being able to trailer it down. Spent so much time to get the car ready that I didn't check the trailer lights, which of course were not working. So I had to drive the 200 miles down, and hope that the mechanic (me) knew what he was doing.

I took it real easy on Friday. Went out in the lower run groups (I'm an instructor), and did not take it above 6000 RPM, only stayed out for half of each session, and watched the temp and oil pressure like a hawk.

On Saturday and the first session on Sunday, I went for it. Car was great. Pulled real hard, and it was a ton of fun. After the first session on Sunday, I started to take it easy again. Didn't want to push my luck and wanted to make sure I made it home.

Only issue the car is having in a CEL for O2 Sensors/Cats. There is a slight exhaust leak where the cats connect to the headers, so that could be it, or they could be shot from when the engine blew. I think I'll swap the ones off the donor motor (something I probably should have just done to begin with).

In other good news, I have sold just two things off the donor car (roll bar and GT3 Euro seats) and have made back 40% of the purchase price of the donor car, so if all goes well, it seems very possible that I will make some sort of a profit from this "wonderful" situation.

And here is a pic of her back in action this weekend.

Old 04-10-2017, 01:30 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Congrats. Glad to see the Gator-mobile riding again
Old 04-10-2017, 01:36 PM
Kris Murphy
Rennlist Member

And one thing, I forgot to mention. While I was at the track, some guy came up and said he had just seen my car on Jalopnik.

Check out the last "Mod": http://jalopnik.com/heres-the-dumbes...ith-1793871296
Old 04-10-2017, 01:57 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Kris Murphy
And one thing, I forgot to mention. While I was at the track, some guy came up and said he had just seen my car on Jalopnik.

Check out the last "Mod": http://jalopnik.com/heres-the-dumbes...ith-1793871296
I knew I'd seen that on rennlist but couldn't remember whose car it was.

Good to hear the car is back and in good shape. Did you run Jefferson extended? I'm running it with trackdaze in two weeks and we're running it both directions. I have 0 laps on it outside iRacing and that's only the old short version.
Old 04-10-2017, 02:51 PM
Kris Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DTMiller
I knew I'd seen that on rennlist but couldn't remember whose car it was.

Good to hear the car is back and in good shape. Did you run Jefferson extended? I'm running it with trackdaze in two weeks and we're running it both directions. I have 0 laps on it outside iRacing and that's only the old short version.
Yes, ran the extended course counter clockwise. It was actually pretty fun. The entire course just got paved, but it is still pretty bumpy. There is an uphill left hand turn in the extended section which is also off camber. The car is so light at the point where you need to brake that it triggered the ABS every time. After that, there is a complete throw-away decreasing radius left hander, that will catch you off guard a couple of times.

As with all of the Summit courses, safety is a bit questionable. There are lots of places where the car will just go airborne if you go off.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:39 PM
Gator996
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Damn Big Red looks great back on the track. What a site! Great job Kris!!

Quick Reply: The digging out from my money shift begins.