Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Does a Turbo bumper really work on a Carrera / how to make it work?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 11:54 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,004 Posts

Originally Posted by roadsession
I did the conversion on my old 996.2 narrow body--
my car served both as a commuter car in stop and go traffic and occasionally on the track at New Hampshire motor speedway

My conversion involved sourcing a Turbo bumper cover and ducting as my C4 had a center third radiator. I also used a C4S lower lip chin because the turbo lip is meant to work with the rear Turbo wing. The body shop had to fabricate a way to make the underside mount points match up.

I spent $1900 on the conversion with painting,labor and found the car was far more stable both on highway and on the track and there was no change in cooling.

There were maybe 3 times in 4 yrs that I encountered any scraping of the lip - clearance was fine

and the car looks waaaaaay better
Hey Man, we miss you around here... when are you going to buy another 996 and rejoin the fold?
Old 01-21-2017, 12:02 PM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by b3freak
Hey Man, we miss you around here... when are you going to buy another 996 and rejoin the fold?
i can only say this as a warning to all current owners: do not sell your 996. At this age if it's still running it's likely to last for the next 30 yrs. everything on today's cars are electronic and forced induction to meet emission and fuel consumption standards.

it is the last of the true 911s

i regret selling mine
Old 01-21-2017, 12:36 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,004 Posts

i can only say this as a warning to all current owners: do not sell your 996. At this age if it's still running it's likely to last for the next 30 yrs. everything on today's cars are electronic and forced induction to meet emission and fuel consumption standards.

it is the last of the true 911s

i regret selling mine

Man, I'm not trying to rub salt in your womb, but dude, you had a beautiful 996 especially with the TT bumper upgrade. Seriously though, don't wait too long, find you a deal on another cab or coupe while the prices are low and while supply is still high. I've already started to notice dealers increasing their asking prices. But a Mk2 996 with low miles can still be snagged for less than $25K if you're patient.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:24 PM
rs10
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Another interesting thing which I recently learned: Apparently Ruf makes their own ducts to be used with their bumpers. No pictures on their website, alas ... .
Old 02-19-2023, 01:46 PM
rs10
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rs10

However, 40AEs and C4Ss do not have a third radiator as standard equipment, so I guess if one wants to invest in lots of C4S or 40AE parts, this would not be a problem.
I realized I was probably mistaken about this. According to the PET, the 40AE does have a third (central) radiator, as well as a different center grill, and a special air duct behind it (which strangely, no other cars in the normal 996 PET (which I think excludes all Turbo and GT cars) with a central radiator seem to have).

So on the one hand, if you want to do a narrow body Turbo/C4S style bumper conversion exactly the way Porsche did it, you get all the 40AE bits, including the central radiator. But if you want to save money, you can get pretty much the same result by using all C4S bits. (To be clear, this is then a C4S conversion, not a Turbo conversion, with differences including the spoiler, and the Turbo's central radiator and associated parts.)
The following users liked this post:
TheChunkNorris (02-19-2023)
Old 02-24-2023, 07:58 PM
rs10
Burning Brakes

I did the conversion on my old 996.2 narrow body--
my car served both as a commuter car in stop and go traffic and occasionally on the track at New Hampshire motor speedway

My conversion involved sourcing a Turbo bumper cover and ducting as my C4 had a center third radiator. I also used a C4S lower lip chin because the turbo lip is meant to work with the rear Turbo wing. The body shop had to fabricate a way to make the underside mount points match up.

I spent $1900 on the conversion with painting,labor and found the car was far more stable both on highway and on the track and there was no change in cooling.

There were maybe 3 times in 4 yrs that I encountered any scraping of the lip - clearance was fine

and the car looks waaaaaay better

Roadsession, if you are still visitng these parts, when you said your body shop had to fabricate a way to make the underside mount points match up, did this involve modifying the ducts so they sent the air where it's needed and not where it isn't? And if so, can you share any details, photos, etc., re. how they did that? Thanks!!
Old 02-24-2023, 08:50 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Received 4,287 Likes on 1,809 Posts

Originally Posted by rs10
Roadsession, if you are still visitng these parts, when you said your body shop had to fabricate a way to make the underside mount points match up, did this involve modifying the ducts so they sent the air where it's needed and not where it isn't? And if so, can you share any details, photos, etc., re. how they did that? Thanks!!
The turbo bumper does not extend far enough to hit the stock mounting points on the underside of the narrow body tub - has nothing to do with the ducts. I cut the section out of the stock C2 bumper and used it to bridge the gap left when the turbo bumpers installed. This bottom section of the C2 bumper does have the vents where air would exit should the center rad be installed. I did not have a center rad so I made a block off for the turbo center rad opening. The stock C2 rads worked fine under my turbo bumper.

ETA... I saw your other thread about venting the fender liners... been there too.

Speaking from experience here.

Last edited by zbomb; 02-24-2023 at 08:58 PM.
The following users liked this post:
EVOMMM (02-24-2023)

Quick Reply: Does a Turbo bumper really work on a Carrera / how to make it work?