Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Does a Turbo bumper really work on a Carrera / how to make it work?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 07:55 PM
rs10
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Does a Turbo bumper really work on a Carrera / how to make it work?

The Turbo bumper, like the aerokit/GT3 bumper, gives you almost no front end lift. But it’s much less likely to get banged up by speedbumps, driveways, and perpendicular parking, because it isn’t quite as low in the front, and bexause the lowest part is a rubber spoiler which I presume is flexible, and not too hard to replace.

The problem is that it is designed to accommodate slightly larger radiators and air conditioninng condensors, as used on the C4S and the 40th AE. So I’m wondering what happens if one uses it on a regular Carrera. Where does the air that would have flowed where the C4S radiator extends beyond the Carrera’s? Does it end up causing a lot more drag or lift? Do the Carrera radiators get less air because the standard bumper would direct some of that air to them, but now it’s lost? Or does the radiator surround or something else make sure all the air ends up in the same place anyway?

If just bolting a Turbo bumper on doesn’t work for such reasons, is there any solution?

Alternately, does anyone make a Turbo style bumper for Carreras with the radiator intakes modified so the air gets to the right place?

Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by rs10; 12-28-2016 at 02:47 PM.
Old 12-27-2016, 08:02 PM
stan23
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would think the bigger problem is the C4S/Turbo bumper is for WB cars, and would not line up with NB cars.
Old 12-27-2016, 08:20 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by stan23
I would think the bigger problem is the C4S/Turbo bumper is for WB cars, and would not line up with NB cars.
Agree...if he were asking about the rear but I believe his question is about the front - no wide body difference there.
Old 12-27-2016, 08:27 PM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

b3freak just did this mod to his Mk2 cab, maybe he can halp.
Old 12-27-2016, 08:30 PM
stan23
Racer

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Agree...if he were asking about the rear but I believe his question is about the front - no wide body difference there.
I did not know that - good info!
Old 12-28-2016, 03:13 AM
ion_berkley
Instructor

Just throwing in a link to a previous thread and car with this transplant. I'm interested in this question also.
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...arga-pics.html
Old 12-28-2016, 11:15 AM
kgoertz
Pro

I have a turbo bumper on my 996.2 targa. I've never had any overheating concerns and I run it pretty hard at a local track. Although my oil pressure does drop significantly when it is hot which implies the engine gets pretty warm.

I wouldn't be concerned at all with the turbo bumper for street driving. For track driving it still seems to be okay and you could always install a third radiator when you do the swap.
Old 12-28-2016, 12:29 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,669 Likes on 921 Posts

Changed out my base bumper with a Turbo Front bumper but decided to keep the original duct work in order to funnel the air (i.e. split) through the front vent into the rads. I was ready to purchase the newer C4S duct work, but the temps stayed right at 180F with no problem with overheating. My only concern is that some air may be getting trapped above the base duct work, but so far no issues.

Old 12-28-2016, 12:45 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

My experience is with a 996 Turbo the front bumper/air dam is quite low and scrapes almost every where. The part which hangs down the most is the air dam and it is not real flexible. If one is not careful entring/leaving driveways and not pulling too far into a parking space it can break. A new Porsche air dam is several hundred dollars. There are less expensive ones avaiable but I know nothing about how they fit, their quality, etc.
Old 12-28-2016, 12:50 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by rs10
The Turbo bumper, like the aerokit/GT3 bumper, gives you almost no front end lift. But it’s much less likely to get banged up by speedbumps, driveways, and perpendicular parking, because it isn’t quite as low in the front, and the lowest part is a rubber spoiler which I presume is flexible, and not to hard to replace.
Actually, the TT/C4S bumper has a slightly lower ground clearance than the base bumper, but because it uses a black front lip spoiler, those can be changed out easily when damaged.

The problem is that it is designed to accommodate slightly larger radiators and air conditioninng condensors, as used on the C4S and the 40th AE. So I’m wondering what happens if one uses it on a regular Carrera. Where does the air that would have flowed where the C4S radiator extends beyond the Carrera’s?
As you see from my pictures, the air ducts are smaller and customized for the base bumper. But remember, the rads have rear fans and act like vacuums that suck air through the duct work. If you get the larger C4S duct work, they won't fit the smaller rads of the Carrera and so you're back to square one. As mentioned before, I decided to keep the original base duct work because of the center spitter. It acts as a splitter and forces air to the left and right. I haven't seen a problem with temps... the cars still stays at 180F unless I'm racing it around the mountains on a hot day.

Does it end up causing a lot more drag or lift? Do the Carrera radiators get less air because the standard bumper would direct some of that air to them, but now it’s lost? Or does the radiator surround or something else make sure all the air ends up in the same place anyway?
IMHO, I've found the Turbo bumper to minimize lift had higher speeds compared to the base bumper. (that's a non-scientific opinion) ha! Remember the air flow passes through the radiator and into lower portion of the fender well. If you're seriously concerned about air flow, drag, etc, then you may want to upgrade to the GT3 aero bumper with center vent. But you'll spend more than $5,000 on the bumper, duct work, paint, and trim details.

If just bolting a Turbo bumper on doesn’t work for such reasons, is there any solution?
Lots of Aftermarket bumpers for sale on eBay. But some of them look weird and cheap. And, if you're tracking the car, they won't funnel the air properly... they're usually designed for looks over performance. Proper cooling is paramount for tracking these cars without serious damage to the engine.

Alternately, does anyone make a Turbo style bumper for Carreras with the radiator intakes modified so the air gets to the right place?
Again, there are many "turbo like" aftermarket front bumpers, but I would recommend you stick with OEM. If airflow is your top priority, then purchase GT3 aero bumper, but if you want the Turbo look, then you can be safe with a OEM turbo/C4S front bumper. They are pricey, but you still find a complete setup on eBay for under $1000 if you're patient. Most come without the center and side vents, but I was patient and found one in Florida for $400 complete.

Let me know if I can help further.

Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated!
Old 12-28-2016, 12:58 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Macster
My experience is with a 996 Turbo the front bumper/air dam is quite low and scrapes almost every where. The part which hangs down the most is the air dam and it is not real flexible. If one is not careful entring/leaving driveways and not pulling too far into a parking space it can break. A new Porsche air dam is several hundred dollars. There are less expensive ones avaiable but I know nothing about how they fit, their quality, etc.
Absolutely right!

Do you realize that Porsche charges $150 - $200 each for the front black vents on the Turbo bumper? Simple piece of plastic that didn't cost 25 cents to make. ha!

Now on the other hand, if the OP doesn't have a Carrera C4 tip, then more than likely he doesn't have the center radiator; therefore, he won't need the center air dam than funnel air below the car. Maybe the OP can post some pictures.
Old 12-28-2016, 01:09 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by b3freak
Absolutely right!

Do you realize that Porsche charges $150 - $200 each for the front black vents on the Turbo bumper? Simple piece of plastic that didn't cost 25 cents to make. ha!

Now on the other hand, if the OP doesn't have a Carrera C4 tip, then more than likely he doesn't have the center radiator; therefore, he won't need the center air dam than funnel air below the car. Maybe the OP can post some pictures.
The air dam is intended to restrict air from getting under the car. This creates a high pressure area just ahead of the car at the radiator intakes and a low pressure area under the car. This high pressure ahead of the radiators and low pressure behind helps air flow through the radiators. It also helps keep the car stable at speed and helps draw air through the louvered engine compartment lid to help keep that cool. And last but not least has a low pressure area at the back of the car to help air flow through the turbo intercooler vents one on either side of the car.

This air dam (and the other aerodynamic aids of the Turbo) works very welll as my experience with my Turbo is it can maintain a very stable and reasonable coolant temperature even when operating in extreme ambient temperatures, even with just one radiator fan working.
Old 12-28-2016, 01:15 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Or locate a wrecked turbo that's being parted out.
Old 12-28-2016, 01:26 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Macster

This air dam (and the other aerodynamic aids of the Turbo) works very welll as my experience with my Turbo is it can maintain a very stable and reasonable coolant temperature even when operating in extreme ambient temperatures, even with just one radiator fan working.
Hey Mac, can you post a picture or part number of the center air dam that you reference?

I would like to reference it to the OEM parts break down. Porsche tends to use several names for the same thing.

Are you talking about the front lip spoiler - part number# 9965055550201C

Old 12-28-2016, 01:29 PM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by b3freak
Changed out my base bumper with a Turbo Front bumper but decided to keep the original duct work in order to funnel the air (i.e. split) through the front vent into the rads. I was ready to purchase the newer C4S duct work, but the temps stayed right at 180F with no problem with overheating. My only concern is that some air may be getting trapped above the base duct work, but so far no issues.

Stock "before" looks much better. "After" looks like Tom Jones stuffing sweat socks in his jockey shorts.
The following users liked this post:
damage98MO (02-25-2023)

Quick Reply: Does a Turbo bumper really work on a Carrera / how to make it work?