Removing battery for storage & accessing front trunk in Spring

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2016, 11:49 AM
ggrace
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Removing battery for storage & accessing front trunk in Spring

Gents,

The underground condo storage does not have access to a power outlet to trickle charge the battery, so I plan to remove the battery and trickle charge in my furnace room at home (on wood).

If I remove the battery and close the front trunk, I'm creating an issue for opening it in the Spring, right?

Should I just gently let the front trunk rest but not push it closed? That way, can I just lift it open in the spring?

If yes, should I be worried about mice?

Is it easy to manually release the front trunk? I've read it's a real PITA.
Old 12-23-2016, 11:52 AM
Esfoad
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Maybe rest it as you suggested and put some light tack masking tape over the opening to prevent critters from entering.
Old 12-23-2016, 12:02 PM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

do not close/lock the frunk as you already planned. then rat poison/traps INSIDE.
Old 12-23-2016, 12:12 PM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 791 Likes on 507 Posts

Personally I would place a small block of soft wood between the latch for the frunk lid to rest on. I have visions of someone walking over to check out the car and leaning on the lid! As far as rodents, they don't need the lid opening to gain access to your car. I agree traps on ground around/under car. In the car traps and poison could get unpleasant! I also put moth cakes in the frunk and the engine compartment as I have read the odor is not liked by the little boogers. Unless hood release cable has been rerouted for easy access it can be difficult.
Old 12-23-2016, 12:44 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by wildbilly32
Personally I would place a small block of soft wood between the latch for the frunk lid to rest on. I have visions of someone walking over to check out the car and leaning on the lid! As far as rodents, they don't need the lid opening to gain access to your car. I agree traps on ground around/under car. In the car traps and poison could get unpleasant! I also put moth cakes in the frunk and the engine compartment as I have read the odor is not liked by the little boogers. Unless hood release cable has been rerouted for easy access it can be difficult.
Or just lay a towel over the latch so it can't lock. I've heard that the sheets that folks use in clothes dryers also repel rodents.
Old 12-23-2016, 12:45 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

lol this is a funny thread, I had a chuckle
Old 12-23-2016, 12:57 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,411 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Manually close the latch, and set the lid on top of the closed mechanism.
Old 12-25-2016, 01:37 AM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 173 Posts

Any reason you don't want to just latch the lid and then use a jump box to pop the frunk open in the spring?
Old 12-25-2016, 10:42 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,184 Likes on 757 Posts

Do yourself a great favor now and relocate the frunk emergency release cable to inside the tow hook plug. You cannot believe how easy it is to just pop the tow hook plug off and pull the release cable. Then you will not have to ever worry about the frunk release, battery, or if the frunk lid gets accidentally closed and latched without the battery in the car. Just do it now.
Old 12-25-2016, 11:32 AM
Astro
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

I've always placed scented dryer sheets throughout the car and inside the engine bay, trunk, etc... every year when it goes into storage and have never had a problem. Mice don't like the smell and the car smells really clean every spring.
Old 12-28-2016, 06:01 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I wonder who discovered that rodents do not like the smell of scented dryer sheets? More interesting. How did they discover it. It might be true as I have never found a mouse inside the dryer when I open the door. Maybe I should google some fact here folks. lol Look what I found.

https://www.thisoldhouse.com/ideas/d...ont-deter-mice

Quick Reply: Removing battery for storage & accessing front trunk in Spring