Sponsored by:

Please help - about to pull the trigger on this one

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 04:46 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,704 Likes on 1,055 Posts

Originally Posted by dporto
"I'm pretty sure that car was a normal 996 with an S sticker added to the back."

I think ML78's reference was strictly tongue in cheek...
It was tongue in cheek, but I had to Google it to be sure
Old 12-06-2016, 05:32 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by b3freak
hahaha.... you could have kept that going... like,

Um, ok since we've established it doesn't have Xenon lights.
How about this...
1. Where are the washers that you have listed?
2. The Bose stereo system tell me about that again.
3. And, those don't look like OEM Porsche Sport Seats... where are you hiding them?
4. And lastly, please explain all these fancy "additional options" that don't exist on the hood tag or even in the actual car.

hahaha... I could go on and on. I love the line "I have a *Porsch* mechanic here right now - he's been doing this 30+ years". hahaha
I actually left out a lot of back and forth discussion with these guys. There were quite a few things said over the course of the weeks that led me to question and perform research, which led me to post on here.

They just said that the online post might have been wrong or copied from the wrong car, but they did eventually come clean on every item I pointed out. So I'll be checking the online ad to see if there are revisions now that they know there's a typo/mistake.
Old 12-06-2016, 06:07 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,165 Likes on 795 Posts

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
I actually left out a lot of back and forth discussion with these guys. There were quite a few things said over the course of the weeks that led me to question and perform research, which led me to post on here.

They just said that the online post might have been wrong or copied from the wrong car, but they did eventually come clean on every item I pointed out. So I'll be checking the online ad to see if there are revisions now that they know there's a typo/mistake.
Its all classic "used car sales 101" type stuff. I highly doubt there's a used car dealer out there that doesn't know the "story" on the 996/911. On the off chance that they don't know the story prior to getting such a car on their lot, it wouldn't take them more than half an hour of searching the web to figure it out. You know they'll be looking up the value quickly because they'll think they "stole" it...Anything other than the "straight poop" on these cars is either stupidity or a bald faced lie! Caveat Emptor...
Old 12-06-2016, 06:23 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

I just got a bunch of text messages from this guy, now, showing me pictures of a logbook that was in the trunk, along with documentation from a previous dealer, complete with all service records. Trouble is, I now cannot trust them, so caveat emptor is absolutely where I need to be right now...
Old 12-09-2016, 10:00 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Update: They told me the IMS bearing was done, along with the clutch, so I went back into the dealership. When I looked over the service records, I found the IMS Bearing install documentation. Sure enough, there it was, over $4,000. But my wife noticed that the paperwork was an estimate, not an invoice. I called the service shop listed on the estimate. They did not know of any person's name listed on the estimate. They did eventually find the car in their database, but they did not find any evidence of replacement of the bearing.

They also made time to change the text in their ad, because they added the bit about the clutch and IMS bearing, but they kept the knowingly bad information that shows Xenon lights. It's not like they didn't know it was Halogen, finally, after I told them about it, and it's not like they didn't have time to make that adjustment.

Last edited by Mike Murphy; 12-09-2016 at 10:01 PM. Reason: misspellings
Old 12-10-2016, 06:25 PM
WalterRohrl
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just skip that one. It's not worth dealing with people that are this shady, why reward them. There are plenty of other cars out there.
Old 12-12-2016, 10:30 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

I agree. I'm just mad because I dragged my whole family down to buy a car they said had the IMSB done. But that's on me, because I somehow suspected that the docs were too good to be true.

But what I'm really mad about is the car was sold the next day. So someone bought the car, and they didn't update the advertisement since then, and probably didn't tell the buyer the truth. So I sincerely hope that buyer ends up with a great car that will run well for a long time.
Old 12-12-2016, 11:11 PM
Arch1t3ct
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

If there's any doubt, it's better to wait and find the exact one that you want and feel good about. Sorry that didn't work out for you but there are tons of these cars out there, so don't worry too much.
Old 12-13-2016, 12:51 AM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I agree. I'm just mad because I dragged my whole family down to buy a car they said had the IMSB done. But that's on me, because I somehow suspected that the docs were too good to be true.

But what I'm really mad about is the car was sold the next day. So someone bought the car, and they didn't update the advertisement since then, and probably didn't tell the buyer the truth. So I sincerely hope that buyer ends up with a great car that will run well for a long time.
Buy this car --> already rebuilt so you can plan on enjoying it for a long time.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...searchRadius=0
Old 12-16-2016, 10:48 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Well, I did just finally pull the trigger. But not on the original car.

Yesterday, I bought a black on black 1999 C2 Manual Cab with 47,000 miles on the clock.
Old 12-16-2016, 10:49 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by b3freak
...Look up these numbers on the hood sticker and it will give you the option package on the car...

https://www.stuttcars.com/technical/...des/996-03-05/
What if there is no options code on the hood? I couldn't find one on the car I just bought.
Old 12-16-2016, 11:08 AM
twitchett
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 56 Posts

What if there is no options code on the hood? I couldn't find one on the car I just bought.
Is there no option sticker or no options on the sticker? When I bought my '99 I was confused because I thought the options were missing on mine, but the only option selected were the turbo twists! I have never seen another car as low optioned as mine.
Old 12-16-2016, 11:30 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,165 Likes on 795 Posts

You should be able to find the options/build codes from your vin#. It'll cost you a few bucks either at your local dealer or one of several services around the web ( I think SunCoast may do it?). Do a search, you'll find it... Also, congrats on the car and best of luck with it/her
Old 12-16-2016, 11:48 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyTwoBags
Buy this car --> already rebuilt so you can plan on enjoying it for a long time.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...searchRadius=0
Shhh...I am looking seriously at this one!
Old 12-17-2016, 10:53 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by twitchett
Is there no option sticker or no options on the sticker? When I bought my '99 I was confused because I thought the options were missing on mine, but the only option selected were the turbo twists! I have never seen another car as low optioned as mine.
There was no sticker on the hood. The car does have options, but no matter who I call - dealers, Porsche USA, or the previous shop that services the car - nobody will disclose the information I'm looking for due to privacy concerns. Somehow that information belongs to the previous owner...

In any event, Porsche USA said I can pay $110 to have a certificate of authority. I dunno, I might do that someday, but I know there are other ways to get the options codes. My car doesn't have a manual either, kind of a bummer, and so I might just try to buy one somewhere.

My car does have some options, such as black lettering, parking sensors, heated seats, but just wanted everything complete and documented.

Quick Reply: Please help - about to pull the trigger on this one