Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

What eventually kills the M96 engine?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2016 | 07:38 PM
Astro
Pro

While I do think that many of the posts on this forum can scare any owner or prospective owner, it would be interesting to see if Porsche has done a FMEA(failure mode effect analysis) on this and other models. Actually quantifying data would be so much more useful than the fearmongering we all experience.
Old 11-22-2016 | 07:42 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

There are fixes &/or preventatives for some Modes of Failure.These are well documented.Ignore at your peril !
Of greater interest are the causes of failure for which there is no fix - yet.
For example, the seemingly perverse coolant circulation system which is the reverse of most engines- with the inevitable result. Until the Console is redesigned and different cooling passages cast(??how) it is a permanent problem.
The other (related) is unequal heating of the bores because of the thrust sides of the cylinder being reversed on bank 1 & 2 .This means both cooling and lubrication are sub-optimal.
Baz at Hartech has written at length on this general subject and he should be the source of your info ,not me.
See Sections 4 &5 here- lots to read & very well written:
http://www.hartech.org/engine-rebuilds

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1240967
Old 11-22-2016 | 07:45 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Originally Posted by Astro
While I do think that many of the posts on this forum can scare any owner or prospective owner, it would be interesting to see if Porsche has done a FMEA(failure mode effect analysis) on this and other models. Actually quantifying data would be so much more useful than the fearmongering we all experience.
Jake and Hartech have done all this independently. Unlike Porsche ,they did not hide the results.
Old 11-22-2016 | 07:58 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Salt water
Old 11-22-2016 | 08:27 PM
Astro
Pro

Originally Posted by Schnell Gelb
Jake and Hartech have done all this independently. Unlike Porsche ,they did not hide the results.
Well let's get their input, and we can all relax.
Old 11-22-2016 | 09:18 PM
kromdom
Drifting

Originally Posted by Astro
Well let's get their input, and we can all relax.
I thought Jake had already released a book?
Old 11-22-2016 | 09:37 PM
Astro
Pro

I didn't start this thread, just offered my opinion. If this book exists, let the OP know where he can get it and all's good.
Old 11-22-2016 | 09:38 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Originally Posted by Kalashnikov
Here is a rare M96 MOF that KrazyK (UNFAIR) has experienced, in his own words:

My car was idling like crap the other day so I figured since I just got it, it may have been awhile since anyone changed the oil out. I decided to go ahead and change the oil. I used DT40 synthetic oil like I was recommended on here. Anyways, I drain out the oil and noticed it was extremely dark and even after 10 minutes of draining, it was still coming out. I decided to go ahead and flush it to make sure all the bad stuff got out. I hooked up the hose, ran water through the engine, started it up and was waiting for the water to come out clean (The engine never went above idle so I was told this would be ok). Anyways, About 3 minutes into this, then engine starts shaking and shuts off. I figured it was all cleaned out so I plugged it up, added the oil and figured I was ready to go. WRONG! The car won't freaking start now. This car has been nothing but trouble for me, I think I am done with it.
This mode of failure is known as an idiot owner!
Old 11-22-2016 | 10:22 PM
targa996
Pro

Originally Posted by Dharn55
This mode of failure is known as an idiot owner!
ha ha - he forgot to add detergent
Old 11-22-2016 | 11:34 PM
Andrewck
Instructor

I posted this thread about 5 hours too early...apparently what kills your car is an inattentive driver who changes lanes without looking and takes out your brand new Fister exhaust, rear quarter panel and bumper.
Attached Images  
Old 11-23-2016 | 12:28 AM
jaetee
Rennlist Member

That sucks...
Old 11-23-2016 | 01:02 AM
Fracture
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Andrewck
I posted this thread about 5 hours too early...apparently what kills your car is an inattentive driver who changes lanes without looking and takes out your brand new Fister exhaust, rear quarter panel and bumper.

8 / 5 says a cellular device was involved

sorry to see it Andrew, I know you scoured to find that C4
Old 11-23-2016 | 01:48 AM
Andrewck
Instructor

Originally Posted by Fracture
8 / 5 says a cellular device was involved sorry to see it Andrew, I know you scoured to find that C4
think you're right about the phone. young kid who admitted his fault to me and officer. Merged into left lane without looking and sideswiped two cars. Countered hard to the right and took me out. Enjoy your cars every day! No telling when something might happen.
Old 11-23-2016 | 08:40 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Andrewck
Bummer! You just never know... Here's hoping everything gets fixed up like new. Have a happy thanksgiving! The fact that we're driving Porsche's says we've got lots to give thanks for
Old 11-23-2016 | 11:25 AM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

http://flat6innovations.com/index.ph...es-illustrated

Quick Reply: What eventually kills the M96 engine?