Sponsored by:

Seeking advice on cleaning grime from suspension and underbody

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 07:59 PM
Tonger
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Engine Cleaning - Gunk Engine Degreaser Gel

I just did this last week. I put the car up on ramps and shot the bottom with Gunk Engine Degreaser Gel and then put on gloves and scrubbed with a stiff nylon brush. It did a great job of removing grease, dirt, and cosmolene.

Just make sure that you put it on a cold motor, avoid getting it on the paint, and then rinse really well. It makes a mess but the grease is suspended in the cleaner and will rinse off of the driveway.
Old 11-15-2016, 10:38 PM
dblvanos
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you all.

I googled and the only dry ice business in my area seems to specialize in the oil &a gas industry. Really looking for it to be my project rather than a money outlay.

Simple green I have been using forever, I agree with some aluminum being sensitive, but I have only had issue if aluminum has a long constant exposure to it. Really simple green is not making a dent of what is gunked up one the car. I had some reservation with purple power as it has a longer and bolder list of warnings.

I contemplated purchasing a steam cleaner, thought if it was a solid solution for this it could be a good long term tool to own.

I'll follow up with results and pictures, will be another few weeks before the salt is spread on roads.

I had good luckk with gunk on an old Audi 90 years ago, may go that route. I just remember the smell of it lingering in the garage and on the car forever.
Old 11-16-2016, 04:01 AM
numbah9
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dblvanos
Thank you all.

I googled and the only dry ice business in my area seems to specialize in the oil &a gas industry. Really looking for it to be my project rather than a money outlay.

Simple green I have been using forever, I agree with some aluminum being sensitive, but I have only had issue if aluminum has a long constant exposure to it. Really simple green is not making a dent of what is gunked up one the car. I had some reservation with purple power as it has a longer and bolder list of warnings.

I contemplated purchasing a steam cleaner, thought if it was a solid solution for this it could be a good long term tool to own.
I'm on another forum where a 928 owner had his own steam cleaner. Here is the before:

And here is the after:

He says that he used Simple Green in conjunction with the steam cleaner. Actually, there's a thread here on Rennlist by the owner. He says the unit is a Daimer 200.
Old 11-16-2016, 02:09 PM
MoeMonney
Rennlist Member

Received 233 Likes on 128 Posts

Old 11-16-2016, 03:43 PM
Chris996
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

GOOGONE

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...-eng-tran.html

Old 11-19-2016, 03:54 PM
yaknart33
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I very carefully use a degreaser and a pressure washer.Works on engine and undercarriage.

Quick Reply: Seeking advice on cleaning grime from suspension and underbody