Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Need some advice - "affordable" repair M96 (donor motor?)

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 10:56 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mp2day
Yeah in hindsight and certainly from a logical financial standpoint I never should have bought it nor tracked it at the DE, but I can honestly say I don't regret it. I'd regret it more if I never did it.
I can get behind that. I've done plenty of stupid stuff (including selling stock to buy the 996 new around 25 ), but there is little I honestly regret. As long as you are aware of and accept the consequences of your actions, go for it

Life is too short and full of too much BS. Live it how you want and use "mistakes" to grow and learn. As long as you are doing the driving and being an active participant, I think life generally works out OK. It's when you constantly worry or follow someone else's path that things like to go pear shaped.
Old 11-09-2016, 11:13 PM
jaetee
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Other options: http://www.vertexauto.com/Flag/Flag0...20Engines.aspx
Old 11-10-2016, 04:28 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by jaetee
$7K for the 2.5L rebuild and $12K for the 3.4L rebuild!!! The two are essentially the same engine, why the huge premium?
Old 11-10-2016, 04:28 PM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by gnat
I can get behind that. I've done plenty of stupid stuff (including selling stock to buy the 996 new around 25 ), but there is little I honestly regret. As long as you are aware of and accept the consequences of your actions, go for it

Life is too short and full of too much BS. Live it how you want and use "mistakes" to grow and learn. As long as you are doing the driving and being an active participant, I think life generally works out OK. It's when you constantly worry or follow someone else's path that things like to go pear shaped.
+1

@Jake- Would two $9k installments over a 12 month period be adequate to cover an elective M96 3.8 or 4.0 nickies performance street rebuild? If you'd rather talk in person and keep it off the boards I can go that route. I've resisted the urge to ask this question at least once a week
Old 11-18-2016, 09:22 AM
jaetee
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
$7K for the 2.5L rebuild and $12K for the 3.4L rebuild!!! The two are essentially the same engine, why the huge premium?
My guess is supply vs. demand... 3.4 engines are simply harder to find.
Old 11-18-2016, 09:35 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,283 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyTwoBags
+1

@Jake- Would two $9k installments over a 12 month period be adequate to cover an elective M96 3.8 or 4.0 nickies performance street rebuild? If you'd rather talk in person and keep it off the boards I can go that route. I've resisted the urge to ask this question at least once a week
We always break payments into thirds. It's easy. 1/3 of the proposed total of the engine is due at the time of engagement, another 1/3 is due at the mid term point which is usually 6 months from engagement, and the final 1/3 is due at the end of the processes, prior to vehicle shipping. This helps people, and it helps us, too. It balances out cash flow, and it makes my engine easier to acquire without having to use credit cards, or loans.

Of course, all of this is set forth in my written proposal with exact dates, along with exact costs that never change once the proposal is executed. This is the beauty of an elective build, as there are no variables and costs are absolutely known up front. We handle failed engines the same way, except there's six components that have a question mark beside them, as they are the only 6 major parts that we reuse. This means they do present a variable to the bottom line cost of the engine.

All that said, if I build a 2.5 engine, it costs exactly the same as any 996 engine, or, for that matter, a 997 Carrera S engine. Stage 1 engines, and Stage 2 engines all cost the same, no matter what car they go into, or what size they were.

Quick Reply: Need some advice - "affordable" repair M96 (donor motor?)