Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Need some advice - "affordable" repair M96 (donor motor?)

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 12:47 PM
mp2day
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Need some advice - "affordable" repair M96 (donor motor?)

So I'm really pretty new to the P-world. I got a 2003 C4 in nice shape about a year ago and decided to do my 1st DE this fall. It was really awesome… until I got a funny shudder from the engine and the car died on the track.

Still not sure exactly what caused it/what went wrong… D-chunk? AOS fail? But at any rate, I have piston chunks in the pan. I am aware this is very NOT good and means the engine I have probably cannot be rebuilt. I am trying to figure out how to fix this thing that I'm still paying on, and I'm close to working out a financial solution (appears it will cost more than the car), but I'm still going to need to source a donor engine, then do LNE nickies, etc (prob a 3.8 or 4.0 build).

I've contacted LA dismantlers, and have a rough idea what a pulled engine will run. Not cheap. I'm leery of buying one on ebay. I guess I'm hoping someone here may have a suggestion that will get me back up & running and able to do DE's again with relative security that my engine isn't going to be likely to grenade again.

Suggestions…?
Old 11-06-2016, 01:14 PM
Vdubjetta02
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have read soo many threads from "Refreshed" engine builds costing $8k to brand new rebuilt motors costing $25k... I will be of no help in this thread, but many people will chime in I am sure
Old 11-06-2016, 01:21 PM
mp2day
Instructor

I'm planning to try to do it right. I've spoken with Jake Raby via email and two other experienced M96 builders who are local. I'm leaning with staying local. But I'm still probably at your high number.

Just waiting on the second mortgage...
Old 11-06-2016, 01:25 PM
Montychristo128
Pro

You have lots of options from as you point out ebay, some warranty with someone like LA dismantlers to MB Motorsports to RND to Raby Engines.

These are in order of cost and potentially quality.

Its also possible to get a short block from porsche, but there is a fairly high core charge so if your engine is toast, you won't get much back.

I have been looking at options myself recently, as I have a similar dilemma to you, but no piston remains on my oil pan, just a filter full of shrapnel and a lovely "lifter tick noise".

Good luck with your search.

+1 on second mortgage!!
Old 11-06-2016, 01:33 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

First of all, I hope you are joking about the financials. If you had the car since new I could understand risking your finances to save something that likely had a lot of meaning, but a 2nd mortgage for a car that you haven't had that long? Just doesn't make sense. I understand you have a loan on it (sorry, I don't get people buying cars this old with a loan. Again, just doesn't make sense), but you really need to consider cutting your losses on this one and getting another when your finances allow.

Preaching over

$8-10k is what you should expect for a donor motor. If you are already talking to Jake I'm sure he can give you the best advise as to what to look out for. I would assume, however, that if you are going to do a full F6I style rebuild and bump the displacement that the particulars of the donor are less important than if you were just going to slap it in as is and go. You can probably go as far as picking up someone's bore scored motor at a discount actually.

Best thing to do is work with whomever is going to so the build for you. They can guide you as to what's needed or may even take car of finding it for you.
Old 11-06-2016, 02:22 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

I'm confused. Why do you need a donor motor again? Is that what Jake told you? If not, you need to talk to him first. He replaces such a high percentage of the components with his builds that you really don't have to much motor left to use it.
Old 11-06-2016, 03:02 PM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

"affordable" donor motor and a grenaded Porsche 996....these are mutually exclusive scenarios
Old 11-06-2016, 05:44 PM
Boomer24
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vdubjetta02
builds costing $8k to brand new rebuilt motors costing $25k..
Originally Posted by mp2day
I'm still probably at your high number.

Putting a 25K motor into a 25-30K car doesn't make sense to me.

I would drop in something cheap and drive it like I stole it.
Old 11-06-2016, 06:31 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

You need to have usable heads and a block that is intact passed the cylinders too. If he has piston chunks then the heads are damaged for sure.
Old 11-06-2016, 06:32 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomer24
Putting a 25K motor into a 25-30K car doesn't make sense to me.

I would drop in something cheap and drive it like I stole it.
What's you definition of cheap?

Least expensive option would be to drop in a 2.5L engine.
Old 11-06-2016, 07:22 PM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mp2day
I'm planning to try to do it right. I've spoken with Jake Raby via email and two other experienced M96 builders who are local. I'm leaning with staying local. But I'm still probably at your high number.

Talk to Marco at TLG in North Hollywood. He has local engine rebuild sources that sound very very good. 818 982 7610. Long time second generation Porsche shop that also build and races them. From the numbers I've heard, he will offer a couple of choice that might work for you.
I'm seeing him tomorrow morning for a tech inspection for a DE event.
Old 11-06-2016, 07:25 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

Remove the engine and cut a large hole in the floorboard.
Old 11-06-2016, 08:15 PM
Montychristo128
Pro

Next gen, pedal power:

Old 11-06-2016, 09:42 PM
mp2day
Instructor

Originally Posted by gnat

Best thing to do is work with whomever is going to so the build for you. They can guide you as to what's needed or may even take car of finding it for you.
Thanks, Gnat - that's probably the best advice I can get.

I agree - doesn't make a whole lotta sense to put so much into a car that's worth about what I owe. The other option is dump about the same amount on the loan and sell it for scrap. In the end, one way I come out with a way too expensive 996 that hopefully will be a hoot to drive and will DE quite well. The other way, I have no more payments but no more car. Either way financially it's a bad scenario. In hindsight I guess you could say I never should have bought the car. But it's too late now and I'm just trying to sort out what gets me to the best end result. The car's in excellent shape for an 03 - so I'm inclined to try to fix it. Scrap value with a blown engine even on a really nice 996 is very little comparatively.
Old 11-06-2016, 10:03 PM
Kalashnikov
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Dump the car for scrap, use the funds you get for the chassis to pay down the loan. Then pay-off the remaining balance and move on.

You seem to already see that buying the 996 on credit was a bad decision. Getting a loan for a motor would be an even worse decision. Based on your posts you will be looking for $35k-$40k combined loan on the car valued at $25k on a good day if you choose to finance the motor replacement.

Quick Reply: Need some advice - "affordable" repair M96 (donor motor?)