996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 Nightmare -Thrust Bearing Failure

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 02:27 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,167 Likes on 796 Posts

I'm not sure I'm understanding how disengaging the clutch is creating a thrust load on the crankshaft??? Wouldn't engaging the clutch release the load on the flywheel/crank?
Old 07-01-2017, 03:50 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

The pressure plate in the clutch system is over 3,000 pounds of force. When the clutch pedal is depressed the release bearing contacts the pressure plate to release the clutch. To do this, it must fight the load of the pressure plate.

So, since the pressure plate is attached to the flywheel, and the flywheel is attached to the crankshaft, this force is placed longitudinally on the crankshaft. Its the job of the crankshaft thrust shims to carry this load.

But at start up there's little lubrication on these shims, so the forward facing shim is solely responsible for carrying these forces made by the pressure plate. If the clutch is depressed to start the car, then this makes for the worst possible scenario for the crankshaft thrust shims, as they start dry, and with all that load.

This makes them wear thin, and fall out of the crankshaft carrier... Then the crankshaft starts banging around, and when you pull off the oil sump to help diagnose the issue you are faced with whats left of the shim laying on the sump plate.

I documented this as mode of failure #17.

Last edited by Flat6 Innovations; 07-01-2017 at 04:30 PM.
Old 07-01-2017, 04:03 PM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
The pressure plate in the clutch system is over 3,000 pounds of force. When the clutch pedal is depressed the release bearing contacts the pressure plate to release the clutch. To do this, it must fight the load of the pressure plate.

So, since the pressure plate is attached to the flywheel, and the flywheel is attached to the crankshaft, this force is placed longitudinally on the crankshaft. Its the job of the crankshaft thrust shims to carry this load.

But at start up there's little lubrication on these shims, so the forward facing shim is solely responsible for carrying these forces made by the pressure plate. If the clutch is depressed to start the car, then this makes for the worst possible scenario for the crankshaft thrust shims, as they start dry, and with all that load.

This makes them wear thin, and fall out of the crankshaft carrier... Then the crankshaft starts banging around, and when you pull off the oil sump to help diagnose the issue you are faced with whats left of the shim laying on the sump plate.

I documented this as mode of failure #8.
is it possible to slip a new thrust bearing from underneath by removing the sump plate?
Old 07-01-2017, 04:11 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

I documented this as mode of failure #8.
Got it! Makes so much sense... Looks like I'll be jumping my clutch lockout switch. Thanks for the explanation Jake
Old 07-01-2017, 04:29 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Chris(MA)
is it possible to slip a new thrust bearing from underneath by removing the sump plate?
Hell NO!

These thrust shims (2) are the VERY FIRST part thats installed when reassembling an M96 engine. Once the crank carrier is assembled, it holds the shims captive, and they can't even be seen.

This one is a 100% teardown to remedy.

That clutch switch is a really stupid addition to these cars, mechanically speaking. Any car I won has any switch like this bypassed, and I start the engine with my foot off the clutch, transmission in neutral.

Of course, I am the type that rips every safety switch off every piece of equipment, or car that I own. If I hurt myself, its my own damn fault, but I'll be damed if some safety switch is going to fail and leave me on the side of the road, or in the middle of a field!
Old 07-01-2017, 06:51 PM
Mark Henry
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In fail mode it's done damage even if it doesn't fall out.
I have a very expensive paperweight on the bench.
Old 07-01-2017, 07:15 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Mark Henry
In fail mode it's done damage even if it doesn't fall out.
I have a very expensive paperweight on the bench.
Yes, this takes out the crankshaft, and carrier quickly. It will also shed a massive amount of material to contaminate the rest of the engine.
Old 07-02-2017, 04:06 PM
Volkert
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for sharing that insight!!

Volkert
Old 07-02-2017, 04:30 PM
Mark Henry
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, this takes out the crankshaft, and carrier quickly. It will also shed a massive amount of material to contaminate the rest of the engine.
At least it was caught in time, just the crank.

Just in time....
Old 07-02-2017, 06:30 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 137 Likes on 121 Posts

Interesting to hear about the clutch thanks. MY Aus '04 can be started without depressing the clutch so ill have to get used to doing that.
Old 07-05-2017, 12:01 PM
sfv_rider
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you bypass the "clutch depressed" switch, does it affect the cruise control operation?
Old 07-05-2017, 12:50 PM
JohnCA58
Rennlist Member

Received 358 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by sfv_rider
If you bypass the "clutch depressed" switch, does it affect the cruise control operation?
No, it does not.
Old 07-05-2017, 02:11 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JohnCA58
No, it does not.
I would think that the cruise will not work with the switch "jumpered" - under normal operation the cruise drops if the clutch is depressed... perhaps a way around this is to wire a switch (one of the open dash positions?) that will jump the switch without pushing the clutch pedal. Once the car has started, you can turn the pedal switch back "on" which will allow the cruise control to operate as it normally would - i.e. Drop off if/when clutch is depressed.
Old 07-05-2017, 05:26 PM
islaTurbine
Drifting

Received 430 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by dporto
I would think that the cruise will not work with the switch "jumpered" - under normal operation the cruise drops if the clutch is depressed... perhaps a way around this is to wire a switch (one of the open dash positions?) that will jump the switch without pushing the clutch pedal. Once the car has started, you can turn the pedal switch back "on" which will allow the cruise control to operate as it normally would - i.e. Drop off if/when clutch is depressed.
Mine starts without the clutch and cruise operates normally. I do need to look underneath to see if it was jumpered by the last owner or if it has a RoW ECU flash. I've heard that the flash disables the clutch requirement for start as well.
Old 07-05-2017, 08:42 PM
Eury
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dporto
It's not an issue, the cruise uses a different switch. I bypassed this switch this weekend after reading Jake Raby's post. Took less than a minute and my cruise operates exactly the same as it did before.

Quick Reply: 996 Nightmare -Thrust Bearing Failure