996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Received the Retrofit but wish I went with the Sulotion

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 03:46 PM
Esfoad
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm going back there next week for a followup on some of the other items I asked them to look at and I will check to make sure registration is completed. Thanks Jake.
Old 11-03-2016, 04:18 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

My engine failed for other reasons, and when replacing it, I went with the Solution. Moneywise I was already in it for a new/remanufactured engine with zero miles getting a new clutch and DM flywheel. So it seemed like false economy to save a grand not installing The Solution. I've never replaced a clutch in any car I've driven since new until well over 150K. So replacing a bearing at 75K would negate any cost savings and leave me with a variation of the OEM design.

But if I were retrofitting a car with 50+K on it I would have gone with the single-row Pro. Perhaps the other designs are great, but LN's are the ones with the most R&D and the most in-service data.
Old 11-03-2016, 04:26 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Ben z's reasoning is faultless.
Old 11-03-2016, 04:31 PM
Esfoad
Racer

Originally Posted by Schnell Gelb
10-4!
Old 11-03-2016, 04:38 PM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Schnell Gelb
+ 996
Old 11-03-2016, 07:21 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben Z
My engine failed for other reasons, and when replacing it, I went with the Solution. Moneywise I was already in it for a new/remanufactured engine with zero miles getting a new clutch and DM flywheel. So it seemed like false economy to save a grand not installing The Solution. I've never replaced a clutch in any car I've driven since new until well over 150K. So replacing a bearing at 75K would negate any cost savings and leave me with a variation of the OEM design.

But if I were retrofitting a car with 50+K on it I would have gone with the single-row Pro. Perhaps the other designs are great, but LN's are the ones with the most R&D and the most in-service data.
This reasoning is why the IMS Solution is all that we use for Retrofits, or engine reconstructions.

Thats the ONLY reason why I invented, and developed it. I will say that if I had it to do all over again I would have never released the product for others to install. That was only done to put competing technologies in their place after I got pissed off one too many times... the slightly older, and much wiser version of me would have kept 100% of IMS Solution installs occurring under this roof.
Old 11-03-2016, 08:15 PM
Esfoad
Racer

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
This reasoning is why the IMS Solution is all that we use for Retrofits, or engine reconstructions.

Thats the ONLY reason why I invented, and developed it. I will say that if I had it to do all over again I would have never released the product for others to install. That was only done to put competing technologies in their place after I got pissed off one too many times... the slightly older, and much wiser version of me would have kept 100% of IMS Solution installs occurring under this roof.
I hope I never get there but if I'm in a position where I must rebuild or replace an engine then the Solution is definitely the way to go.
Old 11-05-2016, 10:45 AM
Arch1t3ct
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I just got my car back from having the Solution installed, along with a new clutch, DMF, and AOS.

Was pleased to find an upgraded single-row bearing that looked like it had been installed many years ago, in good condition, but I've got no regrets with upgrading to the solution and I am able to enjoy the car more by not having to worry about it. The clutch and flywheel replacement also made a much larger improvement than I'd expected.

Because it never needs servicing, and comes with a spin-on oil filter kit, the Solution seemed like the only reasonable choice, and I'd expect that it adds every penny spent on it to the value of a well-maintained car. I believe that Jake Raby said that the Solution was the one accomplishment that he was most proud of, and I would feel like a fool if I tried to save a few dollars by going with anything lesser.
Old 11-05-2016, 11:46 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Arch1t3ct
I just got my car back from having the Solution installed, along with a new clutch, DMF, and AOS.

Was pleased to find an upgraded single-row bearing that looked like it had been installed many years ago, in good condition, but I've got no regrets with upgrading to the solution and I am able to enjoy the car more by not having to worry about it. The clutch and flywheel replacement also made a much larger improvement than I'd expected.

Because it never needs servicing, and comes with a spin-on oil filter kit, the Solution seemed like the only reasonable choice, and I'd expect that it adds every penny spent on it to the value of a well-maintained car. I believe that Jake Raby said that the Solution was the one accomplishment that he was most proud of, and I would feel like a fool if I tried to save a few dollars by going with anything lesser.
Great. Which shop did the work for you in that area?

I have 1/4 of my life (not exaggerated) invested in the IMS Solution invention, and development. I damn sure better feel accomplished after all that!
Old 11-05-2016, 07:16 PM
porsche951
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the upgraded ceramic bearings installed last April. I also considered "The Solution" but do to the mileage 82K plus several other maintenance items I needed done I opted for the ceramic upgrade .
Old 11-07-2016, 08:58 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Some points on this.... As part of the M96 Engine Rebuild School last week we had a big conversation between Technicians attending the class.The general consensus of the experiences that these techs and shop owners had were people are considering long term ownership more today, than a couple of years ago.

A couple of shop owners said that they've taken the same approach that we have, by only installing the IMS Solution, and not even giving the option for anything else. Their reasoning for this was a lot like mine, where we know the labor associated with the two is within one hour of each other, and the engine is protected for its lifetime, and even beyond, since the IMS Solution can be reused during a rebuild.

It seems that addressing the IMS Bearing issue now has two groups of owners... The group that wants to do the job as cheaply as possible, and don't care about longevity, and the group that is into their car for the long haul, and wants to do this job once, and be done with it forever. This aligns with the sales figures of the different products, since the "Classic" bearing line sales have decreased, while IMS Solution sales have quintupled. The supply can't keep up with demand, even when it was more than doubled earlier this year.
Old 11-07-2016, 10:31 AM
Esfoad
Racer

I must say I take offense to the words "as cheaply as possible". I bought this car without knowledge of this issue. My bad for not doing my homework. But since looking into this and seeing some owners never changing the factory bearing and driving their cars over 100000 miles without issue and others having a major breakdown with low mileage, the cheap "fix" is to do nothing at all and praying you fall into the first category. The "solution" I did is a proven update that is recommended to change after 6 years or 75000 miles but since some of the factory ones have gone so far, these will probably last longer. I do not race my car nor do I drive it extremely hard all the time. But it's my fun car and I do enjoy it. That said, I will probably not keep it for THAT long, I will look to upgrade to a newer model as they become more cost friendly. So, while I totally respect the engineering of the IMS Solution and Jake and his shop, there are alternatives for those of us who do not want to spend that kind of money on a 15 year old car, give or take. I don't think that makes me cheap.
Old 11-07-2016, 12:04 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

But using your own description , because you did not know about the M96's issues & you only want to pay for a shorter term fix because of price .
This may become an "M96 issue" for the next owner. And Porsche M96 cars prices reflect that risk.
And it isn't just the IMSB. There are at least 28(?) M96 "Modes of Failure". Any one of those could sting you with way more than the cost of The Solution.
To mitigate that risk,there is Rennlist .
Caveat Emptor.
Old 11-07-2016, 12:14 PM
Esfoad
Racer

Without wanting to get into a pi$$ing match here, I am just saying the prior owner didn't care about me, and I will tell the next owner the repairs I did and what expectations they can have for future life expectancy. I have sold many cars in my life and have always been honest with the condition. Now on your comment that there are at least 28 M96 modes of failure, the IMS Solution will not prevent all of those. So 996 ownership is a crapshoot but fun as he11 when it's working. Mine is working now, I have no fears that will stay for at least a while (I hope) and I wish all owners to have fun, be happy with your decisions and move forward.
Old 11-07-2016, 12:27 PM
TheMystro
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

X3. I am right there with you. I believe the recommendation has to be a ultra safe conservative number of miles.

Originally Posted by Howaboutthat
Hard to say. I remain puzzled by the recommended service interval on the LN Engineering retrofits, particularly if the new bearing is some type of two-race model. With good lubrication (frequent changes with top flight oil); no grease bleed-out risk (as with the original design); and an upgraded, durable ceramic construction, then assuming the extracted bearing was in great shape (suggesting a lack of a run-out issues on the shaft), why would these not last 200,000+ miles?

Quick Reply: Received the Retrofit but wish I went with the Sulotion