Received the Retrofit but wish I went with the Sulotion

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 11:58 AM
gobs
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Received the Retrofit but wish I went with the Sulotion

Okay here goes...
Recently had the Intermediate Shaft Retro-fit Service completed but now I wish I paid the extra dough to go with the IMS Solution Retrofits. But wondering if anyone else had the same feelings?
I located my local shop from http://imsretrofit.com/.
I apolize for my spelling error(s) LOL
Thank you for any input

Last edited by gobs; 11-02-2016 at 12:17 PM.
Old 11-02-2016, 12:22 PM
Esfoad
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

So I went with the ceramic bearing LN solution instead of the IMS Solution because of cost and after much soul searching. This car is already 15 years old and the expected life of what i did is 6 years or 75K miles. I don't think I will keep it that long but this was less than half the cost of the Solution. So for my pocketbook, my peace of mind, the many, MANY comments and feelings on this site, i am comfortable with my decision. Even if I keep the car and do this bearing a second time, I am still ahead of the game since by then I will probably need a clutch anyway. So make your decision and be happy with that. Most of all, Happy Motoring!
Old 11-02-2016, 12:40 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

If you fit The Solution, suggest you fit a new clutch +DMF also- then you will have a verrrry long time before you need to split the trans from the engine. Yes this increases the cost of the job in the short term but long term it should be both a saving and peace of mind.
Old 11-02-2016, 12:50 PM
Howaboutthat
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hard to say. I remain puzzled by the recommended service interval on the LN Engineering retrofits, particularly if the new bearing is some type of two-race model. With good lubrication (frequent changes with top flight oil); no grease bleed-out risk (as with the original design); and an upgraded, durable ceramic construction, then assuming the extracted bearing was in great shape (suggesting a lack of a run-out issues on the shaft), why would these not last 200,000+ miles?
Old 11-02-2016, 01:38 PM
trendy996
Banned

Ims solution is hands down the way to go bc even the retrofit will still need to be serviced.
Old 11-02-2016, 02:11 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Originally Posted by Howaboutthat
Hard to say. I remain puzzled by the recommended service interval on the LN Engineering retrofits, particularly if the new bearing is some type of two-race model. With good lubrication (frequent changes with top flight oil); no grease bleed-out risk (as with the original design); and an upgraded, durable ceramic construction, then assuming the extracted bearing was in great shape (suggesting a lack of a run-out issues on the shaft), why would these not last 200,000+ miles?
Agreed. Probably CYA.
Once you have the LN tool, just change the bearing every clutch change -is what some suggest.
Never understood why a plug for the IMS tube is not supplied with most IMSB kits.There is a such plug for The Solution and it seems a good idea to prevent oil flowing into the tube.you fit it into the IMS tube before fitting the bearing.
This is a particular concern with cheaper IMSB kits that have just one inner seal on the bearing . That seal will tend to keep the IMS tube 1/3 full of oil. That is a condition that was never intended in the original design.
With the more open cylindrical roller bearing kits like RND, the oil that flowed into the IMS tube while the engine was stopped, would get spun out once the engine starts?
Just get The Solution to spare yourself this puzzlement ?
Old 11-02-2016, 02:12 PM
gobs
Instructor

I did change the clutch so I am good there. But when you say it will need service are you referring to replacement?
Thanks again to all for their input
Old 11-02-2016, 02:14 PM
sammaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i went the the LN pro, not really due to cost. I quite like the eps roller bearing, but my local indy was more comfortable with the LN pro. and i wanted to ensure it was install correctly. The part of the IMS solution i didnt like, is the braided hose from the oil filter under the car to the bearing. in my experience with other cars, especially off road this is a very bad idea. there is a potential point of failure although small that this pipe will become compromised and leak out your engine oil. Reminds me of a certain oil cooler i had on a racing quad. for that reason the eps solution, with potential internal oiling seems like a better fix. that was my logic and i this is one of those things that has no right or wrong answer. Time will tell if i was wrong.
Old 11-02-2016, 02:19 PM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by gobs
I did change the clutch so I am good there. But when you say it will need service are you referring to replacement?
Thanks again to all for their input
You theoretically need to service it because of the risk it can grenade the engine. It's not directly linked to any documented wear pattern or cycle with the retrofit bearings (from what I've read - pls correct me if this is incorrect ).

Unfortunately the whole discussion involves more unknowns than you get on a normal part longevity discussion.

/Rumsfeld out
Old 11-02-2016, 04:33 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by sammaw
i went the the LN pro, not really due to cost. I quite like the eps roller bearing, but my local indy was more comfortable with the LN pro. and i wanted to ensure it was install correctly. The part of the IMS solution i didnt like, is the braided hose from the oil filter under the car to the bearing. in my experience with other cars, especially off road this is a very bad idea. there is a potential point of failure although small that this pipe will become compromised and leak out your engine oil. Reminds me of a certain oil cooler i had on a racing quad. for that reason the eps solution, with potential internal oiling seems like a better fix. that was my logic and i this is one of those things that has no right or wrong answer. Time will tell if i was wrong.
Somewhere there is a response from Raby regarding the hose issue and IIRC he says he has run a engine for hours with the braided hose disconnected with no issues certainly no catastrophic loss of oil. Someone may be able to find that post more quickly than I can.
Old 11-02-2016, 05:25 PM
Esfoad
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I think there's little doubt that The Solution is the best "solution" to the bearing issue but for many of us we have to consider cost, length of ownership, driving style, mileage and other parameters. I wish we could all do it. 10 years ago this would have been a no brainer, but with the reputation of the 996 I am happy with my decision. I don't even think I will get back my investment that I've already put in the car but if I can get 5 years of peaceful ownership it's a win for me.
Old 11-02-2016, 05:35 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

He is right. A 5 year time horizon is the new reality and it is even worse for Boxsters - even the S .The car's value is so low, and still falling that the total cost of an IMS Solution makes no (financial) sense.Fortunately there are enough enthusiasts who ignore the numbers.
Just pencil out a simple total cost comparison of The Solution compared to RND roller bearing IMS kits ! It is difficult to justify even if you claim an increase in the resale value of the Solution. Sad.
Old 11-02-2016, 05:42 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

Same thing happened to me, Indy recommended the bearing rather than the solution. After I was having the same thoughts so I did some calculations I could buy almost 3 bearings and installation for the price I was quoted for the solution and the install (im in Australia it's not cheap here).
Old 11-02-2016, 06:53 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Local dealer quoted me $3,308 for IMS bearing replacement and RMS.

Indy (LN Certified Installer) quoted me $4,577 for IMS Solution, RMS, clutch and AOS

Chose Indy and had Solution done with the other stuff. Couldn't be more pleased.
Old 11-02-2016, 06:57 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Very helpful data point in all the waffle ! Thanks for sharing.
To do the apples/oranges thing -for $3308 - which IMS bearing "Single Row Pro"? or ?

Quick Reply: Received the Retrofit but wish I went with the Sulotion