996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

2002 996 C4: Bore Score, Valves or?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 08:19 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

"I'd love to get video of the smoke test to post for everyone's edification, but I don't want to be the overbearing repair shop customer. Not sure what the protocol is. In any case, I'll let you know the results tomorrow. "
Wow, that would be FREE advertising on Rennlist in a Thread where Raby says it was the correct diagnostic procedure. You would be doing the Indie a great service to offer such a video posting. That kind of validation is hard to come by .But O.K.
Old 11-02-2016, 08:34 PM
Bradstock
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll explain the situation to the mechanic and see if he's cool with me taking and posting video. If so, you'll see it tomorrow.
Old 11-02-2016, 09:05 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

We need to give competent M96 mechanics all the support we can ? They are few and far between and we need them !
Old 11-02-2016, 11:24 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

We may have given all kinds of crazy ideas, but the key part that everyone seems to have agreed on is that the idea of dropping the motor at this point in time was ludicrous. Far too many other avenues of investigation were available.

Glad it's looking like something simple even if it is annoying.
Old 11-03-2016, 05:28 PM
Bradstock
Advanced

Update 11/3: The mechanic who did the manometer test yesterday performed the smoke machine test today which found a small leak caused by an improperly-installed (Fabspeed) intake hose clamp. Replacing this brought the vacuum test result up to 4 (acceptable range being 4-7) so that issue is solved. He then inspected the AOS which he confirmed is a good OEM part and installed correctly with all hoses etc.. intact.

He then inspected the intake and found that oil is pooling there; a few of the nearby bolts are damp as well. He suggested that the white cold-start smoke from the left exhaust and oily right-side plugs may be due to the fact that 95% of my driving is short trips, which means that the motor doesn't have time to come up to temp, which can create more oil vapor etc.. and can overload the AOS, resulting in oil leaking into the right-bank cylinders. As we know, the right-side cylinder bank exhausts out of the left side.

Mechanic said this therefore appears to be an intake problem, not a cylinder problem. He suggested I run the car longer and harder (5,6 even a little 7K RPM) at least once every week or two which may clear up the problem. I will keep y'all and him posted.

Note: this mechanic was not crazy about the idea of me taking video of the smoke-machine test (sorry Schnell), and generally has his reservations about these forums.

Note #2: Mechanic (who also happens to be a 996 owner) recommended the PCA-sponsored Autocrosses such as the one on 11/13 at nearby El Toro airfield. I think I'll sign up; for the health of my engine of course Anyone want to join? Here's the link:

http://www.where2race.com/autocross-...nty-great-park
Old 11-03-2016, 05:34 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Excellent news.
The autocross should be fun :-).
Ask here what pre-fun checks/mods should be done on your car ?
Old 11-03-2016, 05:34 PM
TAGPorsche
Intermediate

You got your orders. Drive it! Lol.
Old 11-03-2016, 06:08 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bradstock

Note: this mechanic was not crazy about the idea of me taking video of the smoke-machine test (sorry Schnell), and generally has his reservations about these forums
this isn't all that uncommon and I don't blame him.

everyone is an expert on the internet.
Old 11-03-2016, 06:24 PM
Bradstock
Advanced

AWDGuy, I am pretty new to these forums (though have been reading daily ever since I got my 996 5-6 months ago). I have no plan to stop my reading and posting, but I can now see the pitfalls.

If it weren't for the sage advice of a few smart dudes on this thread, my motor would likely now be out of the car and in the hands of an incompetent mechanic. I wish I could buy everyone here a round.
Old 11-03-2016, 06:53 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I hear ya, I owe ashai, jake and Charles a few rounds myself.
Old 11-03-2016, 07:43 PM
Bradstock
Advanced

So I was explaining all of this to the original shop, and they wondered why I'm having this problem with this 996 and not during my 10 years with my previous car (99 Boxster) which I drove the same way. That got me to thinking about the Fabspeed cold air intake which I have on this car and whether that could be contributing to this problem. I asked the new mechanic and he said yes it might improve this smoke problem. Any agreement or disagreement on this? If no one disagrees, I think I'll shop for a stock airbox.
Old 11-03-2016, 08:00 PM
sweet victory
Three Wheelin'

Received 208 Likes on 122 Posts

Note #2: Mechanic (who also happens to be a 996 owner) recommended the PCA-sponsored Autocrosses such as the one on 11/13 at nearby El Toro airfield. I think I'll sign up; for the health of my engine of course Anyone want to join? Here's the link:
I live down the road. I've been meaning to head there at some point
Old 11-03-2016, 08:03 PM
sweet victory
Three Wheelin'

Received 208 Likes on 122 Posts

So I was explaining all of this to the original shop, and they wondered why I'm having this problem with this 996 and not during my 10 years with my previous car (99 Boxster) which I drove the same way. That got me to thinking about the Fabspeed cold air intake which I have on this car and whether that could be contributing to this problem. I asked the new mechanic and he said yes it might improve this smoke problem. Any agreement or disagreement on this? If no one disagrees, I think I'll shop for a stock airbox.
I can't comment as to whether that intake would contribute to your smoke problem - but that particular intake does get a lot of bad reviews on this forum. Either OEM or the K&N with the heat shield and snorkel seems to be the only rennlist approved intakes.
Old 11-03-2016, 08:17 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

Well, the Boxster doesn't use a forged piston that's the same as the 996. I have never seen a Boster engine lose a cylinder. Not once, not ever. This is revealing to that of the root of the 996 cylinder issues.

I haven't found an aftermarket intake that works worth a damn yet. They all have more compromise than benefit.
Old 11-03-2016, 08:30 PM
Bradstock
Advanced

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
Well, the Boxster doesn't use a forged piston that's the same as the 996. I have never seen a Boster engine lose a cylinder. Not once, not ever. This is revealing to that of the root of the 996 cylinder issues.

I haven't found an aftermarket intake that works worth a damn yet. They all have more compromise than benefit.
Thanks, I trust Stuttgart more than I trust Fabspeed etc.., A previous owner put this intake on the car, I prefer stock. Any opinion as to whether the cold air intake could be contributing to this problem?

Quick Reply: 2002 996 C4: Bore Score, Valves or?