Sponsored by:

Why did I install an EPS Bearing??

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2021, 10:33 AM
Nealh
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default IMS Solutions

I've been to the rodeo with my 996 m97 engine and I have one thing to say when it comes to IMS bearings if it rolls it doesn't belong in there. replace your bearing with the oil fed sleeve. IMS Solutions.

Originally Posted by RRTEC
I wanted. to drop a quick post here not to open a can of worms but to provide some info about why I made the decision to use the EPS "Eternal" IMS bearing in my 108k engine. I want to preface this with the fact that I have been researching the IMS issues for about 4 years. I started reading well prior to the purchase of my car almost 3 years ago. My car is a 1999 dual row bearing car, I originally purchased it to replace my LS powered Mazda Rx7 track car but the car quickly became my top choice for my commute and I put about 20k on it the first year. It suffered a cracked head/intermix issue in Feb of 2016 and I decided to DIY replace everything while I had it apart.

I was determined to replace the bearing for peice of mind. My car has 108k miles on it and I figured I was on borrowed time with the OEM Bearing from everything I had read. When I pulled the bearing I was disappointed and joyed to find it in perfect shape, save for some oil past the rubber seals and in the IMS shaft. The oil was clean that came out of the bearing and the bearing was in perfect shape.

After discovering that putting a new stock bearing (that lasted 108k with no signs of letting up) back in wasn't possible, I decided to try and replicate that...I had read some threads on home brew bearings and decided to go that route at first. I bought a dual row NSK/SKF bearing and coupled it with the Pelican basic IMS kit and was going to install that without a second thought... and then some "unpleasantness" came out, although I wasn't using ceramic or Boca bearings I just couldn't commit to really gambling with my engine at this time.

There are plenty of people on the LN bandwagon and if I could afford it I would go with the DOF "Solution" from LN. But I can't. I didn't want to spend $800 for just a basic Bearing Set with no real warranty (due to no pre qualification on my engine, and DIY status). As well as reading of others who have had LN failures. And so I looked at alternatives. I saw the EPS bearing and could only find 1 thread where a shop said that the EPS bearing in an engine was "on the way out" but probably due to install issues..

I asked around and the new "best ever" non DOF appears to be the Cylindrical Roller Bearing use. I read all the nasty talk from people about the EPS thrust control, the bad English on the website, the talk about the weakened oil pump drive etc... But couldn’t really find people with glaring failures. There are lots of people saying "have xx,xxx miles with no issues" but no real hateraide. So I bought the kit and it was delivered the other day. I opened the box and the kit is well done everything appears to be of good quality and it was packaged well. For those worried about the hex drive, the slot is so small (the photos are not representative of the actual depth at all (red drive key pictured in advertising) as it would never really effect the integrity of the drive.. The bearing although pretty, is nothing special, and the rest of the kit is tools and the flange.

There are some things about the setup I am not super excited about (Loctite use, tapping holes in the IMS covers etc) but after holding the Pelican/LN single row el cheapo replacement in my hand with its spacers and the wobbliest bearing I have ever seen and knowing that there are cars rolling around with that setup I feel really confident. I may decide that this is a wear item vs an Eternal fix as they say (do it again next clutch) or I may not.. Overall only time will tell if I made the right call for my car and my wallet. Like I said I only dropped this here so that others considering this setup have some info, despite knowing that it will probably get cluttered with a bunch of stuff telling people that this setup is garbage.

I honestly know why Porsche spec'd a new engine vs a new bearing, because all of these fixes no matter how elegant or well-advertised, or successful are a work around to a serious engineering problem. LN, RND, EPS, all of these companies have eaten their own engines and customers engines while trying to save customers engines, it happens, mechanical parts fail, in the end we as owners have to decide how much hype, customer satisfaction, and failure rate we are willing to live with. Personally I pulled a bearing that was perfectly good with a reported less than 1% failure rate to lose sleep over a bearing with an unknown failure rate with no real world guarantee. Personally if I could go back in time I would have checked my dual row in the car, and left it there... But alas I have made my bed and now have to lie in it.. Wish me luck.
The following users liked this post:
dporto (09-23-2021)
Old 09-25-2021, 11:28 AM
dougn
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts

A roller bearing seems to make sense but why didn't Porsche use one? They are not stupid. Theoretically, the bearing should not be a problem.
Old 06-09-2022, 02:45 AM
Barrabuoy
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All in the same leaky boatster Aren’t we?

Originally Posted by RRTEC
I wanted to drop a quick post here not to open a can of worms but to provide some info about why I made the decision to use the EPS "Eternal" IMS bearing in my 108k engine. I want to preface this with the fact that I have been researching the IMS issues for about 4 years. I started reading well prior to the purchase of my car almost 3 years ago. My car is a 1999 dual row bearing car, I originally purchased it to replace my LS powered Mazda Rx7 track car but the car quickly became my top choice for my commute and I put about 20k on it the first year. It suffered a cracked head/intermix issue in Feb of 2016 and I decided to DIY replace everything while I had it apart.

I was determined to replace the bearing for peice of mind. My car has 108k miles on it and I figured I was on borrowed time with the OEM Bearing from everything I had read. When I pulled the bearing I was disappointed and joyed to find it in perfect shape, save for some oil past the rubber seals and in the IMS shaft. The oil was clean that came out of the bearing and the bearing was in perfect shape.

After discovering that putting a new stock bearing (that lasted 108k with no signs of letting up) back in wasn't possible, I decided to try and replicate that...I had read some threads on home brew bearings and decided to go that route at first. I bought a dual row NSK/SKF bearing and coupled it with the Pelican basic IMS kit and was going to install that without a second thought... and then some "unpleasantness" came out, although I wasn't using ceramic or Boca bearings I just couldn't commit to really gambling with my engine at this time.

There are plenty of people on the LN bandwagon and if I could afford it I would go with the DOF "Solution" from LN. But I can't. I didn't want to spend $800 for just a basic Bearing Set with no real warranty (due to no pre qualification on my engine, and DIY status). As well as reading of others who have had LN failures. And so I looked at alternatives. I saw the EPS bearing and could only find 1 thread where a shop said that the EPS bearing in an engine was "on the way out" but probably due to install issues..

I asked around and the new "best ever" non DOF appears to be the Cylindrical Roller Bearing use. I read all the nasty talk from people about the EPS thrust control, the bad English on the website, the talk about the weakened oil pump drive etc... But couldn’t really find people with glaring failures. There are lots of people saying "have xx,xxx miles with no issues" but no real hateraide. So I bought the kit and it was delivered the other day. I opened the box and the kit is well done everything appears to be of good quality and it was packaged well. For those worried about the hex drive, the slot is so small (the photos are not representative of the actual depth at all (red drive key pictured in advertising) as it would never really effect the integrity of the drive.. The bearing although pretty, is nothing special, and the rest of the kit is tools and the flange.

There are some things about the setup I am not super excited about (Loctite use, tapping holes in the IMS covers etc) but after holding the Pelican/LN single row el cheapo replacement in my hand with its spacers and the wobbliest bearing I have ever seen and knowing that there are cars rolling around with that setup I feel really confident. I may decide that this is a wear item vs an Eternal fix as they say (do it again next clutch) or I may not.. Overall only time will tell if I made the right call for my car and my wallet. Like I said I only dropped this here so that others considering this setup have some info, despite knowing that it will probably get cluttered with a bunch of stuff telling people that this setup is garbage.

I honestly know why Porsche spec'd a new engine vs a new bearing, because all of these fixes no matter how elegant or well-advertised, or successful are a work around to a serious engineering problem. LN, RND, EPS, all of these companies have eaten their own engines and customers engines while trying to save customers engines, it happens, mechanical parts fail, in the end we as owners have to decide how much hype, customer satisfaction, and failure rate we are willing to live with. Personally I pulled a bearing that was perfectly good with a reported less than 1% failure rate to lose sleep over a bearing with an unknown failure rate with no real world guarantee. Personally if I could go back in time I would have checked my dual row in the car, and left it there... But alas I have made my bed and now have to lie in it.. Wish me luck.
Hello all;
With a 1998 986 2.5 with 186,000 kms that does not appear to have had any major component upgrades I am ever so interested in what May or may not happen without warning to my very enjoyable investment. I have looked at a number of different alternatives when it comes to the dreaded IMS bearing and I must admit agonizing about changing out a bearing that may very well be in perfect condition for one that has no warranty or guarantee seems a little bizarre I did see on the other hand an alternative or different approach to the ball bearing or roller bearing or passing engine oil through the unit and that is with a bush that still requires oiling. This alternative has virtually no moving parts won’t collapse or self-destruct without any warning and is just as easy or difficult to fit. Now why am I even considering all that labor and parts cost when I have no reason or even suspicion that there is an issue? I still think that all the hysteria is misplaced and will stand by that until the moment my Stuttgart hand grenade detonates. I will keep carrying out preventative maintenance and inspecting used oil and oil filters desperately looking for what I don’t wish to find and driving “Hilda” at 2500-3500 rpm if not higher as this is what she was designed to do. Meanwhile changing AOS, water pump and thermostat, checking coolant hoses, bleeding brakes and of course checking suspension wear will keep me amused prior to going for a drive and I will fix things when I return! Yes I used to own Ducati’s which were the same except they were worse electrically aren’t they? Anyhow enjoy the journey both in and out of the garage. Cheers JK

Last edited by Barrabuoy; 06-09-2022 at 02:53 AM.
Old 06-09-2022, 04:18 AM
frederik
Racer

Received 202 Likes on 115 Posts

When I bought my 996, I had the IMS bearing replaced by the selling shop. A very bad decision: the original dual-row bearing was just fine and the replacement bearing (I don't know the brand -- most likely FVD) failed catastrophically after 1.5 years. The shop had told me that they installed an LN bearing but that was certainly not what came out of the engine. I can only recommend the IMS solution from now on. Don't install any crappy replacement bearings, they are worse than the original.

Last edited by frederik; 06-09-2022 at 08:07 AM. Reason: Bad bearing was not EPS
The following users liked this post:
wildbilly32 (06-09-2022)
Old 06-09-2022, 05:39 AM
911Tobbe
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Question

frederik: How do you know it wasn´t an LN bearing that the shop installed? If you have no idea what bearing it actually was, why mention any names at all?
Old 06-09-2022, 08:06 AM
frederik
Racer

Received 202 Likes on 115 Posts

Because I personally inspected it -- or what was left of it. All it said was "Made in Germany". It must be the FVD Brombacher one, not EPS since it was a ball bearing. I've edited my post accordingly, but the point still stands. It's also possible that it was installed incorrectly at the time. Obviously not all FVD bearings are grenading after 1.5 years, but mine did, and the engine was otherwise healthy.

Last edited by frederik; 06-09-2022 at 08:12 AM.
Old 06-09-2022, 08:16 AM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Received 2,153 Likes on 989 Posts

The EPS system is robust in one way, the LN system is robust in another way... the OEM system isn't. Just don't cheap out if you have a newer IMS that requires the block to be bored using the Vertex method... split the block and do it right.
Old 06-09-2022, 08:33 AM
Tr4ckD4ys
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 35 Posts

Almost ten years into this thread, and having read all of it now, I can say this has definitely caused more confusion than understanding. Here’s my take-aways from this only thread:
1. Some people say do nothing at all, the original dual rows don’t fail as much.
2. Some people say the later M96-gen Porsche updated bearings don’t fail as much, do nothing.
3. Some say do EPS, some say do LN, some say do neither because only the “solution” will be true peace of mind.

well,well,well,… here I am with my 78k 2003 996 with the updated Porsche bearing wondering if I should be spending 4.5-6k at all to do this.
Old 06-09-2022, 08:56 AM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,529 Likes on 1,859 Posts

Originally Posted by Patrick Baginski
Almost ten years into this thread, and having read all of it now, I can say this has definitely caused more confusion than understanding. Here’s my take-aways from this only thread:
1. Some people say do nothing at all, the original dual rows don’t fail as much.
2. Some people say the later M96-gen Porsche updated bearings don’t fail as much, do nothing.
3. Some say do EPS, some say do LN, some say do neither because only the “solution” will be true peace of mind.

well,well,well,… here I am with my 78k 2003 996 with the updated Porsche bearing wondering if I should be spending 4.5-6k at all to do this.

Yes, no, maybe or just upgrade to a mezger motor .

Its a decision for u to make, your not gonna get any different advice then what has been posted. If u want to do a poll, then if i had the big bearing that required splitting the case i would leave it alone unless u was doing a full rebuild.
The following 2 users liked this post by De Jeeper:
SealG996 (06-10-2022), TheChunkNorris (06-09-2022)
Old 06-09-2022, 10:06 AM
plpete84
Drifting

Received 1,874 Likes on 943 Posts

That $4.5 - 6k sounds excessive. Is this for an auto transmission? In December of 2020 I paid $4100 (all parts and labor) for this job AND it included a new clutch and flywheel + RMS. The LN IMSB was $679. This pricing was from an indy in the DC area which is not known to be affordable.
Old 06-09-2022, 10:16 AM
Tr4ckD4ys
Instructor

Originally Posted by plpete84
That $4.5 - 6k sounds excessive. Is this for an auto transmission? In December of 2020 I paid $4100 (all parts and labor) for this job AND it included a new clutch and flywheel + RMS. The LN IMSB was $679. This pricing was from an indy in the DC area which is not known to be affordable.
It DOES sound excessive, doesn't it?
Well - I guess this is the post pandemic Chicago stagflation world we live in. The reason why the shop told me it will be so high is because:
- I have the upgraded Porsche bearing which will require splitting the trans & engine in order to get a new one installed
- I do have a tiptronic

Another shop told me: "Haven't seen a failure on those upgraded Porsche bearings so I would leave it alone given that otherwise you'd have to split the case and then you might as well go full rebuild."
Old 06-09-2022, 10:19 AM
hbdunn
Burning Brakes

Received 763 Likes on 415 Posts

​​​​​​​Hartech uses the larger bearing in their rebuilds so that would answer the question for me.
Old 06-09-2022, 10:23 AM
Tr4ckD4ys
Instructor

Originally Posted by hbdunn
Hartech uses the larger bearing in their rebuilds so that would answer the question for me.
By "the larger bearing", are you referring to the upgraded Porsche OEM bearing in the later years 996s? Or a different one all together?
Old 06-09-2022, 10:42 AM
hbdunn
Burning Brakes

Received 763 Likes on 415 Posts

By "the larger bearing", are you referring to the upgraded Porsche OEM bearing in the later years 996s? Or a different one all together?

Old 06-09-2022, 01:57 PM
Tr4ckD4ys
Instructor

Originally Posted by hbdunn
helpful - thank you. Now the big question is: Is there any way of telling what IMSB you have without having to split trans and engine? Is there a way to tell by the engine detail codes if one has the new one?

Quick Reply: Why did I install an EPS Bearing??