Sponsored by:

***Install aftermarket head unit in MOST car WITHOUT removing factory amp***

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 01:55 PM
thebowl
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by a4gen2
That's my understanding, but I'll let others that have lived with their MOST systems much longer than me weigh in on that. This box fixes that though, if you don't mind having only left/right controls over the audio channel (no fader).

The complexity of it certainly likely makes it more difficult to design devices that are fully-compatible with the bus. For example, I've read these devices--http://www.mobridge.us/products--produce audible periodic clicking or beeping when connected to the bus.

The problem I see with MOST is the same with any other bus/network protocol that doesn't become a defacto standard. It's a pain to find devices compatible with it, and if you do, you have to pay through the nose for them. Token ring, anyone?

Steve
I jettisoned the CDR23, power amp and MOST in one fell swoop, and I haven't looked back.
Old 01-25-2017, 02:01 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,673 Likes on 923 Posts

Originally Posted by thebowl
I jettisoned the CDR23, power amp and MOST in one fell swoop, and I haven't looked back.
Ditto my friend... I felt like I cleansed my 996 of a cancer.
Old 02-11-2017, 06:09 AM
joehonee
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Gents, does anyone have some feedback as to how these Most-RCA converters are performing. I have been researching the best way to install an aftermarket NAV unit in my 03 996TT and want to avoid changing the Bose amp if at all possible.
Old 02-20-2017, 04:26 PM
Mendocino
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Holy ****! I've been taking a break from the forums and come back to this sweet gem of a post!
Old 02-20-2017, 04:34 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Yea, TurboJamie was so excited about this discovery, he decided to sell the car shortly thereafter.

Still, the unit worked and is a possible solution for those who want to change out their PCM or CDR23 Most based HUs.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:35 PM
Mendocino
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lol, I'll try and keep mine
Old 02-20-2017, 08:21 PM
JohnCA58
Rennlist Member

Received 335 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by joehonee
Gents, does anyone have some feedback as to how these Most-RCA converters are performing. I have been researching the best way to install an aftermarket NAV unit in my 03 996TT and want to avoid changing the Bose amp if at all possible.
this set up has been working great for me, I can always go right back to the OEM set up if I ever sell the car. I have notice the price keep creeping on up on the converter, they must be selling.....
Old 02-20-2017, 08:29 PM
eaks
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

So essentially you just plug this converted into one of the pre-outs from the head unit? and wire in the stereo for power/switched/gnd/ect?

Anyone running an android unit or are most people running something else. I like the stuff the android can do (pandora, google maps) but I am not sure the finish on these units is that of a similar kenwood or namebrand unit?
Old 02-21-2017, 10:24 AM
joehonee
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Tried ordering this morning from Aliexpress but my credit card companies didn't seem to like the transaction. Has anyone else run into trouble ordering? Looks like there are some similar items on Ebay but I have not seen any feedback on them.
Old 02-21-2017, 12:19 PM
Slopeslider
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by joehonee
Tried ordering this morning from Aliexpress but my credit card companies didn't seem to like the transaction. Has anyone else run into trouble ordering? Looks like there are some similar items on Ebay but I have not seen any feedback on them.
I had the same issue. The c c called me immediately after I made the purchase and approved it one I verified I was the purchaser.
Old 03-10-2017, 04:11 PM
AndrewBelov
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about https://www.walmart.com/ip/Monoprice-Coaxial-RCA-to-Optical-Toslink-Digital-Audio-Converter/43458576 ?
thoughts?
Old 03-13-2017, 05:05 PM
Big Paupie
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Have had mine installed for a few months now. I put a Pioneer Head Unit in place of a map pocket and installed Ipad Mini where Nav unit was. Everything works as it should. You do lose the fader as the converted only gives you Left and Right RCA into Fiber optic but all speakers play and it is a big improvement over original unit. Having said all of that, even with speaker upgrades I the tonal quality of the system leaves a lot to be desired. I would give the product itself high marks though as there wasn't anything like it existing before. On my previous 996 I had to install a Denison Gateway for $$$. This is a much better solution than that IMO.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:26 AM
Turbojamie
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by b3freak
Yea, TurboJamie was so excited about this discovery, he decided to sell the car shortly thereafter.

Still, the unit worked and is a possible solution for those who want to change out their PCM or CDR23 Most based HUs.
Would you rather own a 996 or an Audi R8?
Old 03-14-2017, 01:55 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Turbojamie
Would you rather own a 996 or an Audi R8?
A 996
Old 03-20-2017, 01:09 PM
a4gen2
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A different approach taken ...

I convinced myself that this box could not work like a Dension unit to replace the frunk CD changer and keep the original HU/amp in place as I had once hoped. So ... I bought a Transit Blu HF and couldn't be happier. $83 dollar solution (with the antenna adapters on Amazon) and a day under and behind the dash.

FM Modulators have certainly changed since I bought my first one a decade ago. The sound appears as good as the CD player IMO (reduced volume level, but ...) and the integration/operation is well thought out. You even get song title information through the HU/cluster via RDS. HF calling is simple and crystal clear. I had the added bonus of fixing the reception on my HU (the reason I started this endeavor in the first place), as I discovered during the install that the PO had left the antenna connection to the HU dangling behind the dash (probably removed their own Tranzit Blu before selling the car and forgot to plug it in!)

If you want to keep the original HU, this solution is a no-brainer IMO.

Thanks to all who replied to my earlier questions.

Steve

Quick Reply: ***Install aftermarket head unit in MOST car WITHOUT removing factory amp***