996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Replaced fuel vent valve - now unable to fill gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 11:20 PM
bplein
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Just a heads up for people who may be following the Fuse E6 part: I had problems fueling on my way to get other work done at my Indy. I had searched it on the web and found out about the fuse. He was sure it wasn't’ the fuse though.

It was.

I had caused a brief short of one of the wires from the telephone circuit when connecting to it for my stereo install a week prior.

New fuse use and I was able to fill the car.

Unable Le to fill can be lots of causes that take more time or parts to address but the E6 fuse is the easiest and cheapest route if you are lucky.
Old 01-23-2022, 05:21 PM
michael92101
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default same problem

Originally Posted by fbgh2o
Have had a couple of instances of P0422 (minor vapor leak) recently and an occasional fuel smell in the cabin.

Replaced the gas cap, however that did not solve the problem.

Replaced the fuel vent valve yesterday. Replacement went smoothly mechanically. However, when I went to fill the tank with gas, it would not fill at all.

I am wondering if this has happened to anyone else before. Thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
I am having the same problem. Anyone know why this is happening? very frustrating.
Old 04-13-2023, 03:25 PM
Mgajse
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Reed switch problem - fueling problem

Hello guys

I hope some one will be able to help me. I have 911 - 996 model. For the last few years i also have problem with refueling and i also have engine light turned on. So few days ago i said i will try to solve this. I think i read EVERY forum about this problem now

So... i checked everythink what i could find, charchoal canister vent valve, fuse E6 etc. And Everythink is fine. But i dont get that clicking sound when i try to push filler cap inside.
Today i found out, if i put magnet by the reed switch (that short stick which is inside vent valve), then i hear clicking sound inside. So looks like everythink is working at my car, i just can not find out what is normaly trigering that switch? Because magnet trigers it, but if i just lift up that blockage inside the filler tube nothing happens.
can any one help me ?

Thank you

Old 04-22-2023, 01:41 PM
Alex Sol
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what a pain!! i have 986 and working on similar issues. Mine is more difficult starting after filling up. Requires about 10-15 cranks and me massaging the gas pedal fully pressed then release a couple of times... sounds like you either have a defective reed switch or poor connection to that reed switch that triggers the opening/closing of the valve to allow you to fuel up! $2,000 fix! nuts... in the past, i've ran wires from relays into the cabin of the 944 to a switch that can 'trip' the relay when I need it to run. fuel pump relay was the issue in this case... perhaps can run power to the reed switch to 'trick' it to make it work? only when you are fueling up?? so unnecessarily complicated!!

Quick Reply: Replaced fuel vent valve - now unable to fill gas tank