Sponsored by:

Radiator Cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 07:06 PM
texcwa
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator Cleaning

This is why I enjoy this site, was reading some older posts and found one about how many Porsche Owners overlook the cleaning of the radiators. Found a YouTube showing how easy it is to remove the front bumper to access and clean them, so had some free time today, pulled the bumper and found just how dirty the radiators were (looks like I could of been loosing about 10% of cooling capacity). Here are a few pics to show what I mean. Would recommend if you have not done this in awhile, take the time and do it. I had 54K miles on car and was told it was always garaged and pampered by original owner. Who knew!!, Only took about 2 hours.
Attached Images     
Old 07-30-2016, 07:08 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 112 Posts

Mine seems to be running a bit warm. It's next on my list.
Old 07-30-2016, 07:29 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 136 Posts

I just bought all the clips/fasteners needed for this job. Probably will be my 3rd DIY attempt after replacing the pumpkins and spoiler bellows.

I'm starting easy...
Old 07-30-2016, 07:44 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Spend the bucks if you are that far along, take the rads out of the car, clean them with a pressure washer from the back to the front, and add the 3rd rad in the middle. once you use the pressure washer, use comp air to blow from back to front. You'll get tons more little particles out that you had no idea about. Do it a couple times.

The 3rd rad addition was the best upgrade I've seen for cars in S US. It improved not only my temp, but also the AC operation, better warm oil pressure and it seems to use a little less fuel.

Last edited by docmirror; 07-30-2016 at 09:59 PM.
Old 07-30-2016, 08:06 PM
texcwa
Racer

Thanks for the reply docmirror, I was planning on doing a radiator flush on my 60k service. I will definitely be looking into the 3rd radiator kit. I live in Northern CA and the summers get hot, we have had a week of 100+ deg and I do see an increase in my temp (the reason I did the radiator clean-up in the first place).
Old 07-30-2016, 09:59 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

No prob. It's just so much more than cooler water temps. I was pretty surprised. My fave result is ice cold AC within a few minutes of start up and it stays frigid even in slow traffic. Not really a hard job either. A couple of the fittings are hard to reach but I would rate it about a 3 or 4 on the 1-10 DIY scale. Don't rush, and clean the heck out of the rads once they are out of the car.
Old 07-31-2016, 03:12 AM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Yep, I think I figured out why mine was running a little warm....

Old 07-31-2016, 03:21 AM
420Boss
2nd Gear

I'm about to do this in the morning. I need to flush the coolant because it is discolored and gunky. My radiators look just as dirty as yours did slakker. Does anyone have advice on where I can purchase this third radiator and how should I plumb it?

Thanks for any help
Old 07-31-2016, 03:43 AM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

I just got done researching that one. Pelican has a center radiator kit that lists out all of the part #'s you need. But you can get them individually at warehouse 33 and save a hundred or two with the Rennlist discount. I would buy more from Pelican since they have such awesome information but they are usually higher. I always give them a shot though.

Not sure about the bolts because I usually source them locally from Napa.
Old 07-31-2016, 04:52 AM
420Boss
2nd Gear

Thanks slakker. Tons of info on pelican. Will keep reading before I decide if I should make this my first project on her.
Old 07-31-2016, 01:00 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

I bought the center rad from rockauto.com(Behr). I bought the two hoses from Roger at 928sRUS. Replaced my hose clamps from O'Reilly, and got the coolant there too. I made all the braces and framing from 26Ga sheet metal.

A note for those starting this job. Although not mentioned in the pelican write up here's an important tip. When you open the box for the rad, take a sharp knife and cut two pieces of cardboard that will exactly cover the fins of the new rad. Use some packing tape and cover the fins of the rad as you remove it from the box. Leave this cardboard cover on the fragile fins until you are ready to put the bumper back on, then cut the tape, and pull the cardboard off. Your fins will still look new.

Another tip, once you have the rads and fans out, test the fans by jiggling the fan blade fore and aft from the end. Check for noisy bearings, and run each fan on 12V for a bit. I found one that was starting to get wobbly. Use comp air from the back to front of rads to blow out all the little pebbles you can. Do it several times.
Old 07-31-2016, 01:13 PM
Fracture
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 178 Posts

aftermarket or DIY grilles are worth the effort while the nose is off
The following users liked this post:
Fastrf (02-25-2024)
Old 07-31-2016, 03:05 PM
robman
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cleaned mine last Sunday. They where nasty. Also painted the black part of the bumper. Looks new again.
Old 07-31-2016, 10:51 PM
RickMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Clean them again in 12 months and be prepared to be amazed at how nasty they get after one year. I've been thinking about the Zunnsport grills for some time now, but I'm not sure about how they might affect the airflow - especially during hot Texas summers.
Old 07-31-2016, 11:05 PM
JimmyB
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by RickMiller
Clean them again in 12 months and be prepared to be amazed at how nasty they get after one year. I've been thinking about the Zunnsport grills for some time now, but I'm not sure about how they might affect the airflow - especially during hot Texas summers.
... Or do what this guy did with gutter mesh from Home Depot:

Quick Reply: Radiator Cleaning