Strut Braces

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2003, 05:14 PM
stratpa
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strut Braces

Hi evryone:

Please provide opinions on after market strut braces for an 01 C2 Cab. Do they really make a difference on steering? If so which ones are the best? Is it something that is easily DIY and will it ruin the warrantly if I do so?

Thanks

PA>
Old 10-21-2003, 05:17 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Strut braces on the 996 don't do anything. Some people seem to have convinced themselves that they do, however.
Old 10-21-2003, 09:06 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

The 996 has a strut brace from the factory, and it's good enough for their racing cars. The 996 does NOT need a strut brace, buying one is akin to snake oil.
Old 10-22-2003, 09:04 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts

As much as I do not want to be in the position of contradicting experts, it should be noted that certain of the Porsche GT3 RS race cars in ALMS use an auxiliary strut brace. The question I would pose vis-a-vis after market offerings is the construction and the mounting position and method thereof as certain designs and mounting schemes will, indeed, be useless and, given even the slight added weight (high up), could actually be contrary to performance.
Old 10-22-2003, 10:41 AM
JeffES
Pro

Please note that those cars are not using a street setup. On street tires w/street settings(on a 996), adding a strut brace will promote understeer (generally not a good thing)
J
Old 10-22-2003, 01:05 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by JeffES
Please note that those cars are not using a street setup. On street tires w/street settings(on a 996), adding a strut brace will promote understeer (generally not a good thing)
Hi Jeff,

That's interesting! On cars which do benefit from a strut tower brace, understeer is usually reduced simply because keeping the shock towers from flexing, increases the tire contact patch. Allowing the front tires to grip more in front should reduce understeer. On the 9x6 cars, the shock towers are joined together via the firewall. This is an even more effective way to tie them together than a strut brace. How would adding a brace promote more understeer? Just curious in case I am missing something.
Old 10-22-2003, 02:30 PM
SPR
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with Viken. That's just silly. If anything reducing inherent flex when there was some to be reduced, would increase grip and thereby traction and again reduce understeer. muhahhaha

Trending Topics

Old 10-22-2003, 02:58 PM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

The 996 has the firewall and an added wall structurally tied in to the strut towers, and is much more effective than any strut bracing. Adding a strut tower bracing would'nt add much more ridgedness. IMO
Old 10-23-2003, 11:23 AM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 42 Posts

I'm with Viken. That's just silly. If anything reducing inherent flex when there was some to be reduced, would increase grip and thereby traction and again reduce understeer. muhahhaha
It might not be silly at all.

Consider: If the strut brace makes the chassis flex less, but only in the front, wouldn't that produce the same effect as using a stiffer front bar. Both methods would increase the total roll stiffness in the front without any change at the back. If the roll stiffness balance shifts toward stiffer in the front, voila, understeer

To obtain the true benefit of the strut brace, a simultaneous stiffening of the REAR bar would be a potentially good idea. But don't ask me by how much, because I don't know.
Old 10-23-2003, 12:50 PM
SPR
Drifting

well I thought about that when I wrote about it. However while the sway bars to work on opposite ends, they are attached to parts that move! This is the suspension and that is why it works on the opposite end because it controls the torsion on the axis. If you stiffen the mount of the struts on the top in the front it isn't at the bottom and therefore doesn't contribute to the opposite end enough. I experimented with this idea a long long time ago. Now if you were talking about a lower brace like some hondas have on the bottom of the suspension then I might be inclined to say it would have a bit more effect although still not nearly enough to show anything at the opposite end.
Old 10-23-2003, 12:52 PM
SPR
Drifting

oh yeah but if you are doing that to a honda, you're not my friend, j/k hehe
Old 10-23-2003, 01:01 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by W8MM
Consider: If the strut brace makes the chassis flex less, but only in the front, wouldn't that produce the same effect as using a stiffer front bar. Both methods would increase the total roll stiffness in the front without any change at the back. If the roll stiffness balance shifts toward stiffer in the front, voila, understeer
Yes, of course this is a good argument. However, the main purpose of a strut brace, as we know them, is to keep the towers from flexing towards and against each other. By doing so, we are trying to keep the tires on the pavement. On the other hand, there are different braces designed to add even more stiffness for race cars. Some of these might also be part of a roll cage. Now, those will definitely add more stiffness the front of the firewall thus adding some understeer.

The bottom line is that the 996 will not benefit from a strut brace.
Old 10-23-2003, 03:43 PM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 42 Posts

well I thought about that when I wrote about it. However while the sway bars to work on opposite ends, they are attached to parts that move!
The strut brace is advertised to keep the towers from moving with respect to each other while suffering cornering loads. Seems like the whole chassis would meet the definition of a moving part. No?

Race cars need strut braces (or other braces) because the very stiff springs they use start to encroach on the relative stiffness of the chassis. If the springs are stiff enough, one can hardly tell the suspension movements from the chassis movements in an un-braced car.

Street cars use spring constants that produce suspension movements an order of magnitude (or more) larger than chassis movements. Not so with race cars made from street car chassis. If not reinforced, a street car chassis can produce MORE wheel movements than super-stiff suspension springs in a floppy car.
Old 10-23-2003, 05:37 PM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Even the GT3RS race cars do NOT use strut braces. Note the factory braces to the firewall!
I totally agree with Viken "The bottom line is that the 996 will not benefit from a strut brace."

Old 10-24-2003, 12:29 AM
SPR
Drifting

Hey Loren where have you been?

Quick Reply: Strut Braces