996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Fabspeed muffler bypass pipes...!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 08:06 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Fabspeed muffler bypass pipes...!!!

Hey everybody... just wanted to let you know of a really cool set of videos at www.fabspeed.com

I was particularly impressed with the muffler bypass pipe for the 996... the sound is awesome! - I'd say it compares to a PSE in terms of sound performance.

Fabspeed has posted complete videos showing the underside of their exhausts and how they sound at full throttle, taking off, cruising by and while you are in the cockpit... check them out.

one question I have about the bypass pipe is its effect on horsepower.. Fabspeed claims 8-10 HP with their own sport exhaust.... but how much horsepower do you get with just the bypass pipe... they didn't mention any gains in the video clip... DO YOU LOSE ANY HP???

enjoy

Peter
1999 996 6sp
Silver/Boxter Red
Old 10-20-2003, 09:28 PM
Toreador
Menace to Society
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Some have reported a loss of torque as a result of Fabspeed exhaust systems. I have not experienced any loss of power, and I have both the exhaust and the headers. One explanation for the loss of power is that the installation was somehow faulty and caused a "leak" in the exhaust system. I think most of the people with the Fabspeeds are happy with them (me included)
Old 10-21-2003, 12:03 AM
JakeMate
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Fabspeed muffler bypass pipes...!!!

Originally posted by c70Pete

one question I have about the bypass pipe is its effect on horsepower.. Fabspeed claims 8-10 HP with their own sport exhaust.... but how much horsepower do you get with just the bypass pipe... they didn't mention any gains in the video clip... DO YOU LOSE ANY HP???

enjoy

Peter
1999 996 6sp
Silver/Boxter Red
I'm very curious about this too. Also...what about resonance?
Old 10-21-2003, 02:26 AM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Question: if there are no mufflers... can their be resonance?
Old 10-21-2003, 10:51 AM
JakeMate
Racer

Question: if there are no mufflers... can their be resonance?
I'm not an acoustical engineer, but the mechanical engineer in me says yes.
Old 10-21-2003, 12:24 PM
Gery NJ
Racer

Default Re: Re: Fabspeed muffler bypass pipes...!!!

if there are no mufflers... can their be resonance??
'm not an acoustical engineer, but play one on TV. EE/CS engineer in me says yes.
Any pipe if not tuned can create resonance. Wave bounces and noise coming out of engine does make turns in the headers.
Or so I think...
Old 10-22-2003, 09:30 AM
NickS
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

That's the first sound clip of a Fabspeed exhaust that I've I liked.
Old 10-22-2003, 12:55 PM
Karl S
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Fabspeed muffler bypass pipes...!!!

I was particularly impressed with the muffler bypass pipe for the 996... the sound is awesome! - I'd say it compares to a PSE in terms of sound performance.

1) The bypass pipes are much, much louder than PSE. It may not show up on their audio clip but these babies are LOUD. They are comparable to a Cup car. There is also no switch, so they are loud all the time, whether you want them to be or not. I used them for the track on my C2 but took them off for the street.

2) I did get an 8 HP gain on a dyno with the Fabspeed headers and mufflers. I did not dyno with the bypass pipes but I doubt they would add anything. The first thing the engine sees on the exhaust side is the headers and then the cats, so I suspect the mufflers do very little to affect the back pressure to the engine and therefore won't help or hurt much if you take them off.

Karl
Old 10-23-2003, 01:58 AM
JakeMate
Racer

Default Re: Re: Fabspeed muffler bypass pipes...!!!

Originally posted by Karl S
1) The bypass pipes are much, much louder than PSE. It may not show up on their audio clip but these babies are LOUD. They are comparable to a Cup car.

Karl
Karl,

I know they will be loud, but can you give me an idea if there is a lot of resonation at certain RPM's? Are they so loud that they would be tickets magnets or could you get away with them on the street.

Thanks,
Jake
Old 10-23-2003, 02:22 AM
mastermind
Advanced

Cool

I'm thinking of ordering a pair tomorrow... f**k it !!!!

As far as I'm concerned the 996 is waaaaaaaay too quiet.... besides I live in Harley-ville (milwaukee) so I doubt even with these pipes it will be too loud compared to some of these Harley's around here.... they are LOUD !!!!

So.... if I take the plunge and then decide they're too much there might be a pair slightly used here for sale !!

best,
trev
Old 10-23-2003, 02:40 AM
JakeMate
Racer

Originally posted by mastermind
f**k it !!!!
I'm thinking the same thing.
Old 10-23-2003, 08:25 AM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 96 Posts

I had these on my 996. Guys, there is no candy coating how loud your car is without a muffler. It sets off car alarms and pisses off neighbors. You can't start your car in the AM or come home late in the PM without waking up anyone in your house, and probably your neighbors house.

I ran them on the street, and was never ticketed, but that's more of a function of where I live (rural just outside of Charlotte) than anything else.

I used them on the track because it saves weight and also it allws you to hear how smooth you are on the throttle in critical situations. The down side it that you cant BS about how well you heen and toe ;-)
Old 10-23-2003, 09:45 AM
Ghost Rider
Banned

Maybe someone here can answer this question for me since the good folks over at Fabspeed have had 3+ days to answer it now and haven't gotten back to me.

Can you use other tips with these bypasses? It looks like in the picture and the video that the tips that come with the pipes are welded on. I didn't see any options for tips and it didn't mention using your stock tips with these pipes. If you think about it, you could go to a local muffler shop and probably get a couple of short pieces of pipe pretty cheap that if you could re-use your stock tips could make for a far less expensive solution. If I remember correctly without running to the garage and looking under the car, the stock tips are attached to a short piece of pipe that curves towards the mufflers, so maybe you'd have to reverse your tips left to right so that they curved towards the catalytic converters and then install a short extension to reach the rest of the way.

It would be nice to get a decibel meter reading on these pipes like porschephd did for the different turbo mufflers, having heard cup cars up close I can only imagine how loud these babies must be...
Old 10-23-2003, 09:53 AM
NickS
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally posted by Ghost Rider
If you think about it, you could go to a local muffler shop and probably get a couple of short pieces of pipe pretty cheap ....
EXACTLY....a muffler shop could do it cheaper. I mean come on…$500 for 2 short pieces of pipe with tips. That’s a rippoff IMO. A muffler shop might charge $100 to make those.
The following users liked this post:
Flyimports (06-19-2021)
Old 10-23-2003, 10:20 AM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As I've posted before on this topic, you can go to your local muffler shop and have a test set made very cheaply. Mine cost $20. Just pop off a muffler for them to use as a pattern. Both sides are the same. If you like the sound, you can go the cheap route and have tips welded on the mock ups or you can order the nice ones from Fabspeed.

I use mine on a track only car. If you use them on the street, forget about your radio.

Quick Reply: Fabspeed muffler bypass pipes...!!!