996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 vs 928 buying advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 03:37 PM
Slakker
Race Car

Received 270 Likes on 124 Posts

Or buy the least car you can love, and spend the rest of your budget modding it frivolously. That's really fun too!
Old 06-26-2016, 06:18 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by marine928
I would drive a well sorted 86.5 -87, 928 BEFORE getting one of the cookie cutter Porsche's you are looking at. Check out the complete history of the 928 via two books, "Project 928" or Brian Long's Porsche 928. Having owned 2 911's, one 914 and a host of other marquee's I can say that my 87, 928 is by far the most gratifying, both visually and and emotionally.
If you were close to me I would let you have mine for a day. It is truly a classic ride in every sense of the word.
My slightly modified 72 Datsun 240Z satisfies the occasional urge to drive a small nimble "go kart" vehicle like the Boxster. Pre 89 911's are also unique in their own right, but a well sorted 928 will give you years of problem free enjoyment. They were engineered to be that way.
Cookie cutter cars are a dime a dozen, and get old quick.
The 928 and early 911's will always be in a class by themselves. Even if you go the other way, do yourself a favor and take a 928 on a spirited drive.
My 2 cents.
Plus, statistics show that 95% of all 928s are still on the road.

(wait for it)

The other 5% made it home. (rimshot please)

(couldn't resist- that's my mechanic's favorite joke)
(and I still love my 928S4)
Old 06-26-2016, 06:28 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 173 Posts

tharbin - the real question is not whether or not an IMSB replacement is permanent or technically superior but rather should the new owner spend 4k (or roughly 20% of the total value of the vehicle) to replace something that will likely outlast the vehicle anyway? Don't forget that even the red-headed-stepchild-small-single-row still only has an 8% or so failure rate. Too high for comfort to be sure but it is not like they will all blow up.

KC, careful too direct an application of rational thought could lead to dismissal from our ranks.
Yes, said much better than I.

And, concur on the rational thought issue, assuming I don't get ostracized for perpetuating what is becoming another IMSB thread.
Old 06-27-2016, 01:18 AM
leo1977
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Elumere
Oh, it's the most joy I've ever had driving. Thus, handing over the money was my ticket into fantasticness. Not one regret. Plus, one could always find a better deal, the one I bought lined up perfectly with our move and red all leather interior and all.

As for the Hudson valley ad, I've seen that one up while I was looking, in March/April already. Thus, unlikely to get your hopes up. Just sayin'..
Saw the car. It was ok. Much used (which isn't a bad thing necessarily). Needs a bit of cosmetic work (including a small bump in the posterior). Looked ok inside. The suspension was quite rough during the test drive (either a very stiff setup or, more likely, needs work). I am still thinking about it and looking at examples of lower milage cars (70-high 80s). Just noticed he raised the price by $2k to $17.5 (thus negating the most attractive feature of his car for me). What turned me off the most was that he has a lien and wants me to pay and keep my car in his guarage for 10!days for him to get title from Florida. I didn't address this topic since not sure about the car but no way I will pay and not get clean title and car in exchange for my cash. So yeh, car is not selling and he raises the price. Go figure.

Quick Reply: 996 vs 928 buying advice