My new '99 C2 Coupe Track Car

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 10:03 AM
Slakker
Race Car

Received 270 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by DTMiller
So, less brake more gas?
Lol, I actually thought of you and that line when it happened.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:06 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 315 Likes on 172 Posts

I'm not sure having insufficient brakes is the best way to sneak up on the limit but any port in a storm.

Sometimes the fastest way through a corner is to brake sooner but softer so the car is more balanced. With great brakes it can be really hard to find that gentle sweeping of the brakes that achieves that. My car's brakes are so severe it can be a real challenge to do it, yours is probably the same.
Old 11-21-2016, 03:23 PM
Slakker
Race Car

Originally Posted by DTMiller
Sometimes the fastest way through a corner is to brake sooner but softer so the car is more balanced. With great brakes it can be really hard to find that gentle sweeping of the brakes that achieves that. My car's brakes are so severe it can be a real challenge to do it, yours is probably the same.
I agree. I still generally think of braking as a straight line and trail braking as a way to get some rotation at turn in. This basically extended my brake zone to and through mid corner and it didn't feel smooth. I would love to be able to recreate it with full brakes and smooth inputs. But I don't know why it worked. Maybe I wasn't using all of the grip my tires had early and mid corner and the added braking was using some of it (ala friction circle). Or possibly since my car is SOOO light in the front (33%F, 66%R), that huge amounts of trail braking are required to get the front end loaded enough to really turn. Since ProCoach is a Vbox expert, I'm going to see if I could engage him just to review the data and help find out the answer.

Here's some video from the last day. I missed the advance group due to a shock coming loose from the mount. So I got it fixed and went out with the intermediate group promising the grid Marshall I would play nice. Little did I know that there were a couple of C6 Z06s hiding out in there because there were less people. When I gave one the point by I figured I would follow for a lap and then over take him. Ha! Or not. But it wasn't due to lack of effort. The other one was right behind me but couldn't get close enough to earn the point by. It was a lot of fun and got me an invite to their private track days that they hold 4x a year.

Old 11-21-2016, 03:34 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Posting because you're getting the gnat treatment and I want to see what you said because this stuff interests me way more than people's feelings being hurt by gretch who is awesome.

edit: which corner(s) are you talking about?

You shouldn't *have* to trailbrake to get weight on the front of the car; just lifting moves weight forward, and Newton tells us that once something is somewhere, a force has to make it move away from there. Your suspension and gravity will start the process of moving weight back to the rear of the car but it isn't an on/off switch in either direction; unless you use the loud pedal to move it abruptly.

Peter will absolutely find you time. That's the single best money you could spend.
Old 11-21-2016, 03:50 PM
Slakker
Race Car

2 and 8 being the slowest corners are where it was the most pronounced followed by 6 and 10.

Edit: FYI, I had put PFC-08 back on the rears in the above video which gave me a little bit of the braking back. Initially I had put the EBC on both front and rear to not mess with the bias.
Old 11-21-2016, 04:06 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Gnat post
Old 11-21-2016, 04:16 PM
Slakker
Race Car

I was posting from the RL app on my iPad. I'll download GT for it as well and see if that fixes the problem.
Old 11-21-2016, 05:39 PM
Warehouse33.net
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah I had a friend run some EBC red's that he bought from me for a track day and he hated them and went the thru the whole front pads in one day.
I told him not to buy them, but one of his friends swore by them. He ended up buying some Hawks from me.

-Jason
Old 11-22-2016, 12:10 AM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 790 Likes on 506 Posts

Slak: DAMN!!! Great driving even with the dicey brake pad deal! The Vette had you on HP and that was all I could see. The FSI deal will even that up! "They" may uninvite you to their private playground after that! You were outdriving that guy...period!
Old 11-22-2016, 06:49 PM
ltusler
Three Wheelin'

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts

Can you explain the lap time vs loudness you mentioned above?
Also you should consider coming up to BIR this summer where you can really air that thing out!
Old 11-22-2016, 07:30 PM
Slakker
Race Car

Originally Posted by ltusler
Can you explain the lap time vs loudness you mentioned above?
Also you should consider coming up to BIR this summer where you can really air that thing out!
Lol. Just that if you are going to be loud and annoying, you'd better be fast. I asked how fast I would need to be with my current setup and he told me teens. It's just part of the fun of a rural family owned track. It really was pretty ridiculous though. It's still loud with the mufflers but tolerable for others.

I'm still scared of tracks with walls at this point. I did spend some time with my coach analyzing video of him catching a spin vs me not catching spins. Basically I was intentionally trying to catch them slowly as to not further upset the car and this was flat wrong. By reacting quicker I've been able to catch the rear end and didn't spin once on Sunday. If I can do this consistently then it will be time to start making some road trips. Brainerd would be a fun one.
Old 11-28-2016, 01:53 AM
Slakker
Race Car

Jake bent over backwards today to work with me on a plan that allows me to upgrade my track car to the FSI 3.8 and not miss any of the racing season. The completion date didn't change as that was set in stone but he was willing to work with me on the logistics of it all. I am a very grateful customer.
Old 12-04-2016, 01:23 AM
Slakker
Race Car

I think I've come up with my winter plan. Everything possible was purchased used or refurbished with the exception of the lift, LSD and bushings and a few other bits.

Garage upgrades:
- Danmar Max Jax
- Longacre scales
- Longacre Caster/camber gauge
- Smart String toe alignment kit

Track Car:
- solid rear sub frame bushings
- monoball inserts for GT3 LCAs
- Cup Shifter Cables
- OS Gikken LSD
- braided steel brake lines
- 997GT3 Master Cylinder

- GT3 Cup suspension upgrade (I never would have planned this if I hadn't run across a couple of insane deals on uprights and dampers)
- JRZ 3-way with remotes
- GT3 Cup uprights
- 996TT Calipers
- Rotors (still to be determined)
- Cup car ride height - 3.0"F/ 3.9"R
- Corner Balance
- GT3 front top hats (if required)
Old 12-19-2016, 01:49 AM
Slakker
Race Car

Well I was hoping my lift would be here by now but I'm not going to let first world problems get me down. Time to get started with phase 3.

First up was servicing the TT front calipers I bought off RL. I permanently removed the dust boots since this is a track only car and used my air compressor and a series of wooden blocks to get the pistons out. There were a few pad dampeners that had rusted into the piston. So I drilled the screw out which left a flat surface. But mainly I just cleaned everything up and lubed the pistons.

Next up is to begin dismantling the brakes. Whoever posted about using vice grips on your flare wrench to clamp down on the nut better was a genius. While I'm at it, it's time to install the braided steel lines that I bought in May but never got around to messing with.

Name:  photo531.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  1.02 MB
Old 01-19-2017, 01:53 AM
Slakker
Race Car

Kids are back in school and loaded down with homework. So it was time to start back up in the garage. Next on the list was dropping the tranny to send off to Gbox for an OS Gikken LSD. But I'm going to have a really small window after the first race of the season to pull the engine and deliver the car to FSI. So I thought I'd go ahead and do a practice run while pulling the tranny.

Because I don't have an AC, it was a much easier project than I anticipated. Definitely less challenging than replacing the AOS. Heck I might just pull the engine again the next time I need to change the AOS. Having the lift to do it under was a huge plus.

Name:  photo648.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  958.0 KB

Quick Reply: My new '99 C2 Coupe Track Car