Steering adjustments and steering feel

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 07:50 PM
Elumere
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Steering adjustments and steering feel

Well,
I've been researching this topic for weeks now, without an answer to fix my problem.
Upon taking possession of my car, the steering was very direct and involved. Halfway through our roadtrip of 7k miles the steering started to feel floaty, less direct. > to put it in more visual terms, what used to need a steering wheel input angle of maybe 30 degrees now needs 60 degrees or more < .
I changed tires, better handling, same steering. I brought it into the shop again, the shocks were done and replaced, better handling, same steering. The u-joints and all parts suspension and steering by the wheels are good, according to the tech. Pentosine is at normal levels too.

What could cause such a huge change in steering input vs output?

Toe-in, set aggressively?
Camber?
Is my power steering loose somewhere?

I'm at wits ends and really miss that direct steering feel, even if it's a bit more nervous in city driving. It's a huge part of what made me fall in love with the car in the first place.

Any inputs are welcome, thanks RLs!
Old 06-14-2016, 03:31 AM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

May be too much toe-in. May want to have your alignment checked.
Old 06-14-2016, 03:32 AM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Old 06-14-2016, 11:29 AM
Elumere
Rennlist Member

After installing new tires I had an alignment done, values according to factory spec.

That can't be it, then.
Old 06-14-2016, 12:02 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,184 Likes on 757 Posts

Going to venture a wild guess. The steering wheel mechanism is mechanical with power assist. Even without power steering (and of course eliminating that problem), if you have to put in that much steering input then maybe your steering gear is kaput (internal seals blown or worn gear), or God forbid, the spline shaft is loose or worn.
http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-p...section=403-00

Check that the two knuckle joints are tightened up. See 36 and bolt 10 here:
http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-p...section=403-05
Old 06-14-2016, 12:09 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Elumere
Well,
I've been researching this topic for weeks now, without an answer to fix my problem.
Upon taking possession of my car, the steering was very direct and involved. Halfway through our roadtrip of 7k miles the steering started to feel floaty, less direct. > to put it in more visual terms, what used to need a steering wheel input angle of maybe 30 degrees now needs 60 degrees or more < .
I changed tires, better handling, same steering. I brought it into the shop again, the shocks were done and replaced, better handling, same steering. The u-joints and all parts suspension and steering by the wheels are good, according to the tech. Pentosine is at normal levels too.

What could cause such a huge change in steering input vs output?

Toe-in, set aggressively?
Camber?
Is my power steering loose somewhere?

I'm at wits ends and really miss that direct steering feel, even if it's a bit more nervous in city driving. It's a huge part of what made me fall in love with the car in the first place.

Any inputs are welcome, thanks RLs!
That's a huge change in how much steering input is needed.

The connection between the steering wheel and the rack is direct, well that is while there are some bearing joints there is minimal play, or should be miminal play.

For the amount of steering wheel input to change from 30 degs. to 60 degs. for the same amount of change in direction at the same speed suggests I dare say a serious mechanical problem.

But this should be evident with the car stationary. If the steering wheel play is excessive compared to another similar example than that strongly suggests there's a mechanical problem.

Underway a test of sorts is to where you have room and no traffic make a u-turn at slow speed. As the turn completes release the steering wheel and let it find its own center. Note the postion of the wheel. Do this several times first in one direction then the other. If the steering wheel position after the turns varies this can be a sign the rack is bad although this doesn't let the other hardware in the steering/suspension off the hook. But at this point then you would need to seek the assistance of a shop well experienced in modern Porsche steering/suspsenion issues.

I have to mention this that just because you had the car aligned doesn't mean the alignment was done properly. Invariably when I have an alignment done and I do *not* get a prinout of the alignment settings along with graphical represenation of the settings the alignment proves to be lousy. I've never experienced any handling issues but I have had tires wear out in way fewer miles than normal.

Also, I remember one case where an owner was complaining about his car's on the road behavior and alignment as the cause was offered. He visited his shop and was assured the alignment was ok. The behavior continued and he tried other things. I seem to recall he had the alignment redone at this shop and still the behavior was present. In desperation he took the car to another place -- dealer or indy shop I can't recall now -- and the alignment was found to be off. Apparently the first shop didn't do the alignment right and never bothered to correct its mistake. Terrible behavior if you ask me.
Old 06-14-2016, 12:27 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

One other thing that comes to mind - the mechanical linkage between the steering gear and wheel is the track rod, or better known as a tie rod. But if your tie rods were that severely worn, I don't see how any component alignment tech would miss that, or at least advise you of such.

I think in the end what I am saying is that this appears to be a severe mechanical problem and soon to be very likely a health/safety issue with your car if it is as bad as you say.
Old 06-15-2016, 12:26 AM
Elumere
Rennlist Member

Well, I did have an experienced tech look at it. They found nothing wrong with it, as of yet, when I had the suspension redone.

Small inputs on the steering wheel do translate to the car steering, just nowhere near as tight as it initially was. Could new tires, tire pressure and camber/toe have that much input?

Or do neither my tech (who races himself, fairly successfully) nor the people at the dealer when I had it checked out during our roadtrip see glaring issues with the steering?

I'm very lost, tbh. And it's rather difficult to translate into words what I'm experiencing (ESL here).

I'll dive into the possibilities mentioned by you guys, just to be sure.
Old 06-15-2016, 12:29 AM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

What were the old tires and what are the new tires?
Old 06-15-2016, 12:46 AM
Elumere
Rennlist Member

Old ones were a mix of 225 Bridgestone Potenzas in the front (old rubber, 7 years or more) and 265 Sumitomos in the back.

Now I have Continentals all around, 225 in the front, 285 in the back. Brand new, less than 200 miles on them.

Though, the issue arrived with the old setup, from one day to the next one, after a hailstorm.
Old 06-15-2016, 02:43 AM
speed rII
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tyres do make a big difference on that go kart feeling.

I have noticed this same thing on my car. Allways thougt that it was the Hankook V12 tyres that made the steering feel less precise.

One thing that you could check on the steering is, if there is a rubber joint.
I think that there is one at this location. Between that link and rod.
Attached Images  
Old 06-15-2016, 08:41 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Elumere
Well, I did have an experienced tech look at it. They found nothing wrong with it, as of yet, when I had the suspension redone.

Small inputs on the steering wheel do translate to the car steering, just nowhere near as tight as it initially was. Could new tires, tire pressure and camber/toe have that much input?

Or do neither my tech (who races himself, fairly successfully) nor the people at the dealer when I had it checked out during our roadtrip see glaring issues with the steering?

I'm very lost, tbh. And it's rather difficult to translate into words what I'm experiencing (ESL here).

I'll dive into the possibilities mentioned by you guys, just to be sure.
If you are confident that the entire steering mechanism and suspension has been completely checked and everything is just as it should be - then yes, new tires can play a role, and also tire pressure and the alignment. What tire pressure are you running? Maybe experiment with the tire pressure. I know 36 psi is recommended for 18" wheels in front but that always seems a little harsh for me. Also, you could have your front alignment tweaked for a little more toe-in and camber (there is a plus/minus to the specs so there is a range) to see if that makes the car a bit more responsive. One last thing - older tires have harder side walls due to age. That may make the car "feel" more responsive. New tires will have softer side walls that may make the steering seem sluggish.
Old 06-15-2016, 09:24 AM
rockhouse66
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

I made 3 changes to my car at the same time; new Sumitomo's in place of good P7s on the front, softer front shock settings, and reduced front tire pressure to around 32 PSI. I have noticed it requires more wheel lock in tight turns than before but not sure which of these caused the change - maybe they all did?
Old 06-15-2016, 12:08 PM
Elumere
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rockhouse66
I made 3 changes to my car at the same time; new Sumitomo's in place of good P7s on the front, softer front shock settings, and reduced front tire pressure to around 32 PSI. I have noticed it requires more wheel lock in tight turns than before but not sure which of these caused the change - maybe they all did?
I could be in the same boat as you, then.

I'll start experimenting..

Quick Reply: Steering adjustments and steering feel