Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Shady dealership possibly trying to weasel out of warranty work on a rebuild.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 10:44 PM
hydrolaw
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alpine003
You really need to check your engine serial number. You do know that only remanufactured engines with the. "AT" designation from Porsche is covered by the 2yr warranty, right?
This is not a remanned engine. The original engine was resleeved. It is the same engine that came with the car.
Old 06-09-2016, 10:49 PM
hydrolaw
Advanced

Originally Posted by groovzilla
good knowing another C4S owner - long story but i've owned 3 and loved every one.

many mechanically inclined members here to help you out and guide you.

i would go to the dealership and insist you get all the necessary paperwork including all parts they used/labor/etc to document what was done to your car - it will come in handy when you sell it.

and get clear just exactly what they will cover regarding warranty issues so there are no misunderstandings going forward.
I have a stack of paperwork probably a quarter inch thick, but what I posted is all I have from the rebuild. Believe me, I am just as puzzled about this as you. If I didn't have it in writing and recording that the RMS had been replaced, I likely wouldn't believe it, nor would I even believe the engine itself had been rebuilt rather than a new engine simply being dropped in. As I understand it, the cylinder walls are very thin in these engines, and aren't very conducive to rebuilds. Again, I could be wrong, but this is simply what I've been told. I'm no expert.

So if my RMS is what is leaking, I've gathered it's not a huge deal. Some engine oil comes out, but as long as I keep it topped off I should be good, right? I check the level every morning, and add oil as needed. Will this be ok for now? Thanks a lot for your help. I've owned a lot faster cars in my lifetime, but this is by far the most fun. Love my 4s. Really just a 2s now, since I have the differential out for a rebuild.
Old 06-09-2016, 10:56 PM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

now that you have "unearthed" new/additional info about the work done to your car, what exactly do you want the dealer to do for you? Fix the leaking RMS...a full 15 months later under warranty...that you do not have in writing but only via VERBAL from a friend/service manager? Not being a smart aleck, seriously want to clarify
Old 06-09-2016, 10:59 PM
hydrolaw
Advanced

Originally Posted by kromdom
now that you have "unearthed" new/additional info about the work done to your car, what exactly do you want the dealer to do for you? Fix the leaking RMS...a full 15 months later under warranty...that you do not have in writing but only via VERBAL from a friend/service manager? Not being a smart aleck, seriously want to clarify
I have a person from a dealership that worked on my car who has given me confirmation in writing on an official Porsche letterhead that the RMS/IMS are warrantied for two years. So yes, I fully expect them to honor the warranty that they provided with the work that was done on the car. I do not understand why this is so controversial.
Old 06-09-2016, 11:03 PM
kromdom
Drifting

if all you posted was everything you just said in post #64 of this thread, I have a suspicion the responses you got in the previous 5 pages would have been drastically different.

have a great day and best of luck.
Old 06-09-2016, 11:20 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by hydrolaw
This is not a remanned engine. The original engine was resleeved. It is the same engine that came with the car.
I realized it after reading further posts but are you sure your engine was resleeved? Based on the two scanned paperwork, I see nothing of resleeving. I only see a cylinder head "sleeve" as a line item for parts.

Also I find it interesting that notes indicate base timing was in spec on both banks, yet they assume and replace the IMS because they found debris in the oil pan? I wonder if there was anything else wrong that they overlooked or didn't replace.

I'm sure their primary motive was to getting it repaired for the bare minimum just to get it running and sell. No dealer is going to go above and beyond to do a good job in these situations.
Old 06-10-2016, 12:51 AM
Slakker
Race Car

Received 270 Likes on 124 Posts

Wow. You might not know it but you come across as a bit dramatic. 13 year old cars are going to need repairs. And when it's a Porsche, we call that a first world problem.

The dealer will be able to reprint the service records of everything they did to the engine. I would request that if I were you. Your current receipt showing that they only "cleaned" the engine after an IMS failure will make the car much less valuable when you go to sell it. A dealer documented rebuild showing all of the parts they replaced will make it more valuable.

Good luck.
Old 06-10-2016, 01:23 AM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

There was a guy on the 996 turbo face book page that posted a picture of the oil pressure gauge and asked what 1-5 meant. Why do people act so naive about a high performance car?

Old 06-10-2016, 01:42 AM
hydrolaw
Advanced

Originally Posted by alpine003
I realized it after reading further posts but are you sure your engine was resleeved? Based on the two scanned paperwork, I see nothing of resleeving. I only see a cylinder head "sleeve" as a line item for parts.

Also I find it interesting that notes indicate base timing was in spec on both banks, yet they assume and replace the IMS because they found debris in the oil pan? I wonder if there was anything else wrong that they overlooked or didn't replace.

I'm sure their primary motive was to getting it repaired for the bare minimum just to get it running and sell. No dealer is going to go above and beyond to do a good job in these situations.
Ya know, I don't disagree with you. I'm going to get all the stuff they did down in writing.
Old 06-10-2016, 01:46 AM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by hydrolaw
So if my RMS is what is leaking, I've gathered it's not a huge deal. Some engine oil comes out, but as long as I keep it topped off I should be good, right?
I would highly recommend you ask them to address this asap and before the warranty expires. As I explained before, the leak could be either the RMS or IMSB or both and there's no way to tell without removing the tranny. If it's imsb, it could be an early sign of failure and you definitely don't want to take that chance.

Also now they know your engine is leaking and if you leave it like that and something goes wrong later, that would give them more reasons to deny warranty.
Old 06-10-2016, 01:49 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 455 Likes on 294 Posts

What? No one has suggested that he complain to Jake?
Old 06-10-2016, 02:55 AM
kromdom
Drifting

Originally Posted by Cuda911
Jake...from State Farm? who wears khakis?
Old 06-10-2016, 08:00 AM
dallison28
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My favorite line from an employee of a dealership is when someone there claims to " would have purchased the car myself".
Old 06-10-2016, 09:47 AM
PORCAR
Racer

Originally Posted by Cuda911
The reason being he knows this needs to be resolved with the actual parties involved, not forum members.
Old 06-10-2016, 10:40 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Hate I missed all the action yesterday in this thread, but I'm catching up now.

Hydro, I like your video (minus the last part). That caught me off guard, but if you knew these guys on the 996 forum you'd understand why they tend to act suspicious at times. Dealing with the "Texas - KK" for so many years has caused them to be on guard when someone comes on the forum to complain about being screwed one way or the other especially when it's related to a DIY RMS/IMS replacement or when someone is try to repair a 996, screws the car up major, then passes it on to some poor fool that eventually shows back up on Rennlist to shout being robbed.

Anyway, it seems to me, you know what you need to do. That is, take it up with the Porsche dealership that warrantied the repair. If they gave you 2 years, then hold them accountable for that. I must admit, this is the first time I've seen a Porsche dealership install a LN IMSB. Not that LN is bad, but most of the Porsche service centers (including mine in Atlanta) refuse to install non-OEM parts on the Porsches. When I saw that on the invoice, I almost fell out of my chair.

I see you're living in Colorado. Did you purchase the car in Colorado? Sneaky Pete was right, your VIN is associated with a C4S for sale at Porsche of Huntington, NY. And so, if a tow truck shows up in your drive way in the next few days, then you'll know that it got sold. hahahaha

Seriously, good luck with the repair and hopefully all will work out.

Last edited by ZuffenZeus; 06-10-2016 at 02:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Shady dealership possibly trying to weasel out of warranty work on a rebuild.