Sponsored by:

Power Steering Hose Fittings

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 02:57 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,167 Likes on 796 Posts

Originally Posted by kukaepe
I'm in the process of removing the engine in my '03 Targa and having a devil of a time to loosen these power steering connectors on the right (upper) side of the engine compartment. Are there special tools or a trick in getting these apart. I can't get wrenches on the hex's due to space...trying to use crow's foot wrenches/extensions/ratchets but not having much luck...any suggestions? Thanks in advance...
No special tools... just two wrenches. If you can use flare type wrenches that may help. You may have to remove the A/C compressor. If you can drop the engine down a bit, it will give you more space to work.
Old 06-09-2017, 11:19 AM
Device2
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Crowfoot and a couple of wrenches is what I normally use also. You do have to use the correct size or else it will strip the fitting. Next time I get in there to drop the motor I'll post the size of required wrenches for both of the fittings.

When I first considered dropping the motor I too nearly stripped mine on one end. Kind of thought it was a tight spot and poor choice of fitting application I also looked at alternatives to ease the task if I ever dropped the motor again. I looked at options like hydraulic quick disconnects that would make the task easier and did not require tools to remove so option was to go with something that I'd seen in the aircraft & aerospace business. There were a couple of random post on the internet were folks had done other type of conversions of the couplings, especially since the price of replacement parts or hose assemblies is steep. I decided to stay OEM because doing such a conversion would require more tools to swedge then crimp the new fittings on the already installed hoses plus the cost and time wasted waiting for delivery of the aircraft grade part.
Attached Images    

Quick Reply: Power Steering Hose Fittings