Sponsored by:

Pulled the trigger

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 04:11 PM
Tdream1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nordish
Fortunately not that much salt in Houston, TX.

May wait until I have the car, enjoy the stock sound for a little, make the first step to the fister exhaust upgrade and then look into the NHP 200 CEL cats upgrade.

You should make a video to show the sound of this combination...
Yeah, you'll be plenty happy with just the Fister mufflers. I did not get the high flow cats for sound, it was just an added bonus when I drove away from my shop.

I'll have to find someone with a GoPro or something as an iPhone 5 just cannot do it justice. Most videos cannot do it justice for that matter.
Old 06-09-2016, 04:32 PM
vitaminC
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 88 Posts

May wait until I have the car, enjoy the stock sound for a little, make the first step to the fister exhaust upgrade and then look into the NHP 200 CEL cats upgrade.
There is no stock sound, that's why you need the Fister exhaust! When I go to the local AX events, I'm always amazed at how quiet all the cars are with stock exhaust.
Old 06-09-2016, 04:39 PM
Tdream1
Instructor

Originally Posted by vitaminC
There is no stock sound, that's why you need the Fister exhaust! When I go to the local AX events, I'm always amazed at how quiet all the cars are with stock exhaust.
Very true!
Old 06-10-2016, 12:18 PM
Vdubjetta02
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FISTER mod & Orange cap air filter mod.... Orange cap air filter mod sounds great under load (Bought my silicon hose for $35 and the orange cap for $12)
Old 06-11-2016, 04:03 PM
Nordish
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Happy weekend guys!!

I'm planning to fly out to Louisville sometime mid next week and drive the lady back to her new home in Houston,TX. It's going to show me if my purchase was good or not, I guess. Around 1000miles....

I've the local mechanic in KY to fix the items he listed with the PPI and have a new set of tires installed (SUMITOMO HTR Z III) that I've ordered at Tire Rack. (been reading on RL that they are pretty good deal)

The old set is 75% at the front and about 50% at the rear and been reported to be noisy.

Question from a newbie to Porsche: Would you recommend to keep the old set of tires or should I just dump them?!?
Old 06-11-2016, 04:26 PM
Triple Black
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Congratulations! Good luck and enjoy the drive home.

My advice is to dump the old tires - the rubber hardens and cracks after a few years anyway.
Old 06-11-2016, 10:51 PM
Tdream1
Instructor

My car came with a brand new set of the same Sumitos. You cannot beat them for the money.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:33 PM
Nordish
Intermediate

Seems that I won't make it to KY to pick up the lady....

I'm now looking for a reliable transport company but it seems that there are lot of scams around.
Waiting for a quote from Ameri Freight. Seems they are one of the biggest players and - I assume - somewhat reliable due to their size/experience.

Any other suggestions here? (Louisville - Houston)
Old 06-13-2016, 11:30 PM
JimmyB
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

Depends on how much you want to spend and how quick you want the car - I'd be tempted to look on uShip for an owner-operator with an enclosed trailer. Lots of different experiences out there though.
Old 06-13-2016, 11:36 PM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

Received 320 Likes on 208 Posts

Congrats. In hindsight, most of us suspect we may have paid a tad more than we needed to in order to buy the car, or it might have more miles on the clock than we planned on. but screw that. Life is too short and there are too many twisties out there to unravel. You have a great car so enjoy it.
Old 06-14-2016, 11:47 PM
Nordish
Intermediate

As my car had the engine replaced under warrenty, I'm wondering if the engine replacements might have been any better as Porsche learned from their early mistakes on the watercooled engines? Any experience?

The engine of mine had been replaced in August 2001 after 26k miles with the original engine.

Sorry for all these questions but I'm not yet at the point to bring any knowledge to the table but only newbie questions.
Old 06-15-2016, 07:47 AM
Trimsarctic996
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Congrats Nordish, get the Fisters you won't be disappointed. I'm from Michigan so the ceramic coating was kind of a no brainer, plus they look awesome. (Well they looked awesome before I put the bumper cover back on)
Old 06-15-2016, 11:44 AM
mharrison
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats! Enjoy your new obsession!
Old 06-15-2016, 12:00 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

The ceramic coating definitely makes it look nice and can extend the mufflers however it depends on what kind of mufflers you start with and in what shape.

The pinched edges are the first to go from corrosion as far as the outside goes. And no amount of outside ceramic coating is gonna protect the interior baffles from rotting and getting disconnected eventually. These are the two points I've observed over the years.

Other than that, these mufflers have a double walled construction so even if the first layer is compromised, there is a second backup layer there.
Old 06-15-2016, 12:16 PM
Elumere
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts

Happy weekend guys!!

I'm planning to fly out to Louisville sometime mid next week and drive the lady back to her new home in Houston,TX. It's going to show me if my purchase was good or not, I guess. Around 1000miles....

I've the local mechanic in KY to fix the items he listed with the PPI and have a new set of tires installed (SUMITOMO HTR Z III) that I've ordered at Tire Rack. (been reading on RL that they are pretty good deal)

The old set is 75% at the front and about 50% at the rear and been reported to be noisy.

Question from a newbie to Porsche: Would you recommend to keep the old set of tires or should I just dump them?!?
If you end up driving anyways (I'd highly recommend that, if possible), check this site out:

http://scenicbyways.info

We did a cross-country trip and avoided highways for at least half the distance. So worth it.

Quick Reply: Pulled the trigger