996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Pulled the trigger

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 11:54 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 144 Posts

Good luck, sorry to hear your experience has had a rocky start.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:53 PM
Nordish
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's been a while since I've posted here but I've been enjoying my early 996 very much the past couple of months. I've been lucky with the mechanical issues I had. It appears that only the A/C Compressor failed and that it somehow started burning/smoking.
Also the Indy that took care of the 996 prior delivery topped too much oil which could have been the explanation to the stall I've experienced.

Anyways, I'm having a blast driving the old lady and been told by my mechanic that the engine is pulling surprisingly strong?! She has approx. 117k on the odometer now but the engine is still at around mid 90k (engine replaced under warranty).
As much as I like my early 996, I'm already looking around for a 996 4S which looks most appealing to me.

Thanks again for all the help and input.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:59 PM
Nordish
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 01-01-2020, 03:12 PM
kbatl
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

UPDATE:

I picked this car up in Atlanta May 2019 with 126k miles. I was able to beat the dealer up regarding the IMS since the car didn't have any records with it. He said everyone that called about it asked if the IMS had been replaced so he knew it was a big deal. I found a couple of Rennlist posts about it and a previous seller had posted all the records, including the IMS but I still beat the dealer up over it. : )

I added H&R Clubsport coil overs, new Michelin 4S tires, Porterfield pads, aggressive sport alignment and it's been a great HPDE car. Took out the airbox baffle and put a silicone intake pipe on (sounds great on WOT). The second track outing the AOS gave up and put out a nice smokescreen after right-handers. Replaced it and cleaned everything out and the last 4 track days have been flawless. Great track car for the money, nice long gears with power throughout.

I tried to contact the previous owners through Rennlist to see if anyone had the records (the previous owner had posted a few pictures and looked like the original window sticker and service receipts from new). Unfortunately, they didn't make it with the car. The only bad thing is the front bumper wasn't an exact match with the paint.

Kevin

Quick Reply: Pulled the trigger