Sponsored by:

Pulled the trigger

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 01:14 AM
Nordish
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulled the trigger

Made my decision and pulled the trigger on the purchase.
1999 C2 with 115k miles on the clock but will service/maintenance records since new. Arctic silver with black interior. I like it a little classy...

Guys from Stuttgart's in Louisville performed the PPI and confirmed that the car is in great conditions for its age. IMS/RMS/Clutch replaced at around 100k.
You guys might have seen the listening here on classified ads...

I'm honestly still concerned about the high milage and think that the price is rather high but the full service history and good PPI results made me go ahead with the deal.
If you want to, you can just continue looking for other options forever but at some point you need to go ahead.

I'm just excited and hope I'm a little lucky with this lady...
Finalizing the transfer etc now and will have the car on the road to Texas sometime next week, I hope.

Pictures to follow asap. Cheers.
Old 06-09-2016, 01:38 AM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

Congratulations! I think you made a great purchase. It seemed like a little bit of a premium but with all of the service work I think you got a good deal. Finding one that was extremely well cared for and has all of the records to prove it is worth a lot. And once you start driving it, you will be amazed at how much car you got for the money.
Old 06-09-2016, 01:54 AM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

Congrats! And you'll come to love the high mileage - nothing worse than having odometer angst. Drive it wherever and whenever you want.
Old 06-09-2016, 02:09 AM
Nordish
Intermediate

Thanks! Been thinking the same about the "premium".
I hope for the best....

She is pretty much stock and will keep it that way for now.
As everyone else, I'm anyway thinking about various details that might be interesting in the future.

Could think of following.
- the original Porsche aero kit looks stunning but good looking ones seems to be really expensive; cheap alternatives look crap; will need to study on this a little more
-> Might look weird if you have a freshly painted arctic silver skirt on a 16 years old car. Any comment? I might be wrong....
- BILSTEIN pss10 seems to be fantastic but again, fairly expensive
- Don't want to have the car to sound like a noisy race car with any kind of annoying droning but some kind of increased engine sound might be cool
Old 06-09-2016, 08:39 AM
JimmyB
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Congratulations on the purchase! Pics in the classifieds look great

Originally Posted by kcattorney
Congrats! And you'll come to love the high mileage - nothing worse than having odometer angst. Drive it wherever and whenever you want.
This. I chose my 130k-mile car over another with 51k but $8k more. I intend to drive it pretty much every day, fix it when it breaks, and enjoy it!

Originally Posted by Slakker
Congratulations! I think you made a great purchase. It seemed like a little bit of a premium but with all of the service work I think you got a good deal. Finding one that was extremely well cared for and has all of the records to prove it is worth a lot. And once you start driving it, you will be amazed at how much car you got for the money.
... and this. Only had mine a couple of weeks so forgive the new guy enthusiasm, but I can't quite get over the grin-per-dollar ratio.
Old 06-09-2016, 11:34 AM
vitaminC
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Nordish
- Don't want to have the car to sound like a noisy race car with any kind of annoying droning but some kind of increased engine sound might be cool
Fister exhaust. Only mod you really need
Old 06-09-2016, 11:40 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by vitaminC
Fister exhaust. Only mod you really need
Absolutely!
Old 06-09-2016, 12:03 PM
tharbin
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congratulations. I also prefer higher mileage cars. It implies the owner liked it enough to drive it and therefore probably took care of it. Neglected cars are usually easy to spot.

No mater what anyone thinks, buying one of these as an investment is dumb. Buying it to enjoy? Classic!
Old 06-09-2016, 12:11 PM
dvs3.6
Advanced

Sorry wrong Thread!
Old 06-09-2016, 02:30 PM
Nordish
Intermediate

You guys make me feel much more comfortable with my purchase......

Regarding the Fister Exhaust/Sport Muffler, I've been reading on their website that hey offer "optional ceramic coating significantly reduces radiated heat.".
Anyone chose this option for the additional US$225. The whole system is - for Porsche modding/parts - not that expensive and if there is any benefit with the ceramic coating, I might go with that.
Any experience here with this option? Any comments?
Old 06-09-2016, 02:48 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 127 Posts

Congrats! Nice to see it has an AM radio.

Wonder why they did the clutch at 92k and waited to do the IMSB at 100k.
Old 06-09-2016, 02:50 PM
Nordish
Intermediate

Hmmm, good question regarding the clutch/ims work...
Old 06-09-2016, 03:00 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 127 Posts

Hmmm, good question regarding the clutch/ims work...
Maybe ownership changed?

That's cool you know the engine was replaced under warranty. My 996 was a lease for its first three years of life and I don't have any service records for her in that period.
Old 06-09-2016, 03:30 PM
Tdream1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys make me feel much more comfortable with my purchase......

Regarding the Fister Exhaust/Sport Muffler, I've been reading on their website that hey offer "optional ceramic coating significantly reduces radiated heat.".
Anyone chose this option for the additional US$225. The whole system is - for Porsche modding/parts - not that expensive and if there is any benefit with the ceramic coating, I might go with that.
Any experience here with this option? Any comments?
Congrats! I bought mine with 108k on the clock. Engine was replaced at 25k due to IMS failure.

As far as the Fister goes, I don't think you really need the coating unless you're gonna be driving around on salt covered roads or always near the ocean. You will love the sound of them! I just had NHP 200 CEL cats put on and the combo is aural nirvana!
Old 06-09-2016, 03:37 PM
Nordish
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Woodman71
Congrats! Nice to see it has an AM radio.

Wonder why they did the clutch at 92k and waited to do the IMSB at 100k.
Originally Posted by Tdream1
Congrats! I bought mine with 108k on the clock. Engine was replaced at 25k due to IMS failure.

As far as the Fister goes, I don't think you really need the coating unless you're gonna be driving around on salt covered roads or always near the ocean. You will love the sound of them! I just had NHP 200 CEL cats put on and the combo is aural nirvana!

Fortunately not that much salt in Houston, TX.

May wait until I have the car, enjoy the stock sound for a little, make the first step to the fister exhaust upgrade and then look into the NHP 200 CEL cats upgrade.

You should make a video to show the sound of this combination...

Quick Reply: Pulled the trigger