Sponsored by:

Door Won't Open From Inside or Outside

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 11:20 PM
Jeremy Wight
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door Won't Open From Inside or Outside

I've got a 2001 996 Turbo Coupe (I posted here since the door should be the same and more folks in this forum) and I currently have an issue which I cannot resolve. I cannot open the door from either inside or outside. It is not all the way latched it seems, though when I open the handle from the inside, and sometimes the outside, the interior light goes on signifying the microswitch has engaged.

This all started with an issue with the window not dropping on door open which I resolved... Using this forum I successfully determined and resolved that issue, by removing the door panel, door latch, and cleaning out the microswitch in the latch. In the process of doing this I noticed that one of the triple square door latch screws was stripped as I had to remove with pliers. I had to order the special screw, so once I got it put back together I tightened one and put the other (stripped one) back in loosely as I ordered and awaited the special screw.

I drove it once (perhaps a mistake), but it was opening/closing/window dropping properly and then I left town for a week. I received the screw while I was gone, so when I returned home I went to open the door, (planning to install the replacement screw) but much to my chagrin I was unable to open the door from the outside. Tried the inside with no luck. I have read all kinds of articles, I tried validating that the latch was resetting all the way, I even bought air-pump-locksmith-tool to try and raise up the door in case it had become misaligned over the week resulting in the non-operation. I've tried locking/unlocking. I've tried using a coat hanger, but I can't get the latch to engage/disengage to get the door open...

I am at a total loss and do not know what to do to this point. Has anyone ever had a similar situation, and what did you do to resolve? I'm open to about any suggestions at this point (short of taking to an Indy shop as that's my next/last step).
Old 06-03-2016, 12:56 AM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 342 Posts

Can you lower the windows using the key in the door? If so you may be able to try the lock/unlock switch on the dash. Otherwise you'll probably have try a locksmith.

Edit: Having just reread your post I see you can get inside presumably using the passenger door. Try the dash switch
The following users liked this post:
158Sierra (05-08-2022)
Old 06-03-2016, 09:17 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,186 Likes on 758 Posts

Check fuses C-3 and D-1 to make sure there is power. Sounds like to me the Bowden cable from the door handle to the latch has come undone, or something like that. You may have to try and remove the door panel again while the door is closed to check the mechanism. If you manage to remove the door panel, you may be able to manually operate the latch to get it to release. See this diagram and Part #16 http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-p...section=804-00

I wonder if a slight misalignment of the latch mechanism is binding on the strike plate? Maybe pull on the inside handle while giving the door a really good push outward?
The following users liked this post:
JK_996 (06-01-2024)
Old 06-03-2016, 05:00 PM
Jeremy Wight
Instructor

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
I wonder if a slight misalignment of the latch mechanism is binding on the strike plate? Maybe pull on the inside handle while giving the door a really good push outward?
I was thinking this may be the problem as the bowden cable feels and appears (from what I can see looking through the window crack to be connected properly, unfortunately I have been unsuccessful in this method
Old 06-03-2016, 05:01 PM
Jeremy Wight
Instructor

Originally Posted by wyovino
Can you lower the windows using the key in the door? If so you may be able to try the lock/unlock switch on the dash. Otherwise you'll probably have try a locksmith.

Edit: Having just reread your post I see you can get inside presumably using the passenger door. Try the dash switch
Yeah I don't think it is the lock engagement as I have tried locking unlocking (it is the passenger door so no key insert).
Old 06-03-2016, 05:54 PM
WalterRohrl
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a perhaps related issue that I need to explore as well, just not looking forward to taking the door apart again...

I replaced my regulator and then had a problem with the door latch so I replaced that as well. Window now works great, door latch, well, read on...

When unlocked, door opens great from inside or out, no issues.

When locked the key will not unlock it, it just turns in the lock cylinder like you'd expect but without actually doing anything. However, the keyfob DOES unlock it which is just as God intended, however after that I have to pull the doorhandle up several times (anywhere from 3 to 10 times) before the door pops open. Note that the window drops slightly with every pull of the handle so it IS getting the signal that I want to open the door...

If I get it open and then close it and relock it, upon unlocking it again the whole cycle resets and I have to pull the handle a number of times again to open it. However if I get it open and then close it WITHOUT relocking it it opens first time every time as per normal. So something with the lock/unlock cycle is haywire.

Any experience would be appreciated. When I replaced the latch I was able to do so without actually taking the doorhandle out of the door, I was able to undo and re-fasten the little threaded rod into the plastic tab thing from the door handle by somehow making my fingers perform a very unnatural move (akin perhaps to a CounterClockwise Swirl with a Knuckle if you are a Seinfeld fan)
Old 08-21-2016, 09:16 PM
aqtlibra
4th Gear

Default 996 Carrera passenger door won't open from inside and outside

i also need help on this. i have the same issue as Jeremy with my 99 996 Carrera. i can't open from the inside and outside passenger door after replacing the window microswitch. the latch lock and the closing element door catch bar won't disengage. i was thinking that 2 years ago i have different issue with the passenger door. the door won't closed. the lock and the catch won't engage and i'm having problem with my key removing from the ignition switch. until i replaced the ignition switch. the whole thing went back to normal.

the Q now is do i have to replace the ignition key again. replacing the ignition key is a hard job. long hours of hard work. anyway, i'll give it a try and see what happen. if you have an easiest way to resolve this issue. please let me know. thanks.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:29 PM
Bash Hat
Three Wheelin'

Received 415 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by WalterRohrl
I have a perhaps related issue that I need to explore as well, just not looking forward to taking the door apart again...

I replaced my regulator and then had a problem with the door latch so I replaced that as well. Window now works great, door latch, well, read on...

When locked the key will not unlock it, it just turns in the lock cylinder like you'd expect but without actually doing anything. However, the keyfob DOES unlock it which is just as God intended, however after that I have to pull the doorhandle up several times (anywhere from 3 to 10 times) before the door pops open. Note that the window drops slightly with every pull of the handle so it IS getting the signal that I want to open the door...

If I get it open and then close it and relock it, upon unlocking it again the whole cycle resets and I have to pull the handle a number of times again to open it. However if I get it open and then close it WITHOUT relocking it it opens first time every time as per normal. So something with the lock/unlock cycle is haywire.

Any experience would be appreciated. When I replaced the latch I was able to do so without actually taking the doorhandle out of the door, I was able to undo and re-fasten the little threaded rod into the plastic tab thing from the door handle by somehow making my fingers perform a very unnatural move (akin perhaps to a CounterClockwise Swirl with a Knuckle if you are a Seinfeld fan)

Did you ever get this resolved? I'm having the exact same issue.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:00 PM
Jeremy Wight
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bash Hat
Did you ever get this resolved? I'm having the exact same issue.
I tried many, many things, eventually after exhausting them all took to a body shop. They had to cut and fabricate a tool to remove the exterior handle and go through there to get the latch released. I just paid them to replace the whole assembly. Wish I had started there and saved tons of time, frustration and scratches to the door jamb (trying to do it myself)
Old 02-20-2017, 11:04 PM
Bash Hat
Three Wheelin'

Received 415 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy Wight
I tried many, many things, eventually after exhausting them all took to a body shop. They had to cut and fabricate a tool to remove the exterior handle and go through there to get the latch released. I just paid them to replace the whole assembly. Wish I had started there and saved tons of time, frustration and scratches to the door jamb (trying to do it myself)
I'm thinking this may be my problem:

Were you not able to pull the handle assembly out of the door after undoing the screws from inside the door?
Old 02-20-2017, 11:07 PM
Jeremy Wight
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bash Hat
I'm thinking this may be my problem: https://youtu.be/dZGvdYb8A0o

Were you not able to pull the handle assembly out of the door after undoing the screws from inside the door?
No, my latch wouldn't fully disengage upon pulling the handle. I think one of the micro switches wasn't triggering- causing the handle pull to not disengage the latch
Old 02-21-2017, 04:04 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,904 Likes on 1,040 Posts

That really sucks Jeremy!
Old 09-11-2017, 08:19 AM
Jackie Lo
2nd Gear

Unhappy 1998 996 door won't open

Originally Posted by WalterRohrl

Hi WR,
I just bought my first 996 a couple of weeks ago. The passenger side door has the exact problem too but I didn't pay attention to this when buying. It will take 3 times to 10 times to open and it will finally open. Every time the window does drop a bit and close. Once the door is open so long as you don't lock the door again it will open every time as it should.
I saw JW's advice, "it takes to enter from the handle outside to get the latch released". But if such problem is related to the latch then it shouldn't take 3 to 10 times to open the door but rather it should not open at all?
So I am scratching my head which parts to change or repair rather than changing the whole lot like JW experienced.
Old 09-11-2017, 02:28 PM
aqtlibra
4th Gear

Default Passenger door problem

Originally Posted by Jackie Lo
Hi WR,
I just bought my first 996 a couple of weeks ago. The passenger side door has the exact problem too but I didn't pay attention to this when buying. It will take 3 times to 10 times to open and it will finally open. Every time the window does drop a bit and close. Once the door is open so long as you don't lock the door again it will open every time as it should.
I saw JW's advice, "it takes to enter from the handle outside to get the latch released". But if such problem is related to the latch then it shouldn't take 3 to 10 times to open the door but rather it should not open at all?
So I am scratching my head which parts to change or repair rather than changing the whole lot like JW experienced.
it takes awhile before i figured out this passenger door problem. probably 3 months or four. the door lock mechanism is a common problem of 996 carrera defective. anyway, if you tap the edge of the door handle from the outside 3 times door may open. if door open remove the door panel. you need T25 10mm socket Philipp and Flat Screw driver. disconnect the battery before removing the airbag. otherwise, you'll get an airbag light. you can find pictures that will guide you on how to remove the door panel at Pelican Technical Article: Porsche 911 Carrera Door Locks and Handles.
replace the door lock. i bought mine on ebay for $50. good luck.
Old 09-11-2017, 03:29 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackie Lo
Hi WR,
Sounds like a mechanical problem of the door latch itself.

Quick Reply: Door Won't Open From Inside or Outside