Sponsored by:

Fluid leak/seep

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 06:09 PM
Brian Pfister
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fluid leak/seep

Quick question and some expert opinions wanted. Replaced the water pump at the local Indy and noticed a seep or fluid leak, not related to the water pump. Anyone know where it might be? New RMS and transmission pan gasket. No operational issues. '99 996 c2

Old 05-14-2016, 10:41 PM
Bubrubb
Instructor

What is the fluid?

Touch it with your finger and smell it.

If it's smells a little acridly sweet, it's coolant. That can certainly help getting at the root cause here.

Have you brought the car back your Indy?
Old 05-15-2016, 02:31 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,166 Likes on 746 Posts

I'm trying to get a fix on this relative to the pictures but it is hard. It looks like the leaks are coming from above. Looking from the rear into the engine bay, on top left side of engine is the AOS and bellows, well known to leak oil and drip underneath. On the top right side of the engine is the oil cooler and O-rings that might leak oil down and underneath the car. Also back right side of the engine is the oil sender unit. Not so much a oil leak source but if not properly installed could leak oil down and underneath car. Last possibilities are leaking spark plug tubes, but from the pictures I don't think those are the source.

From the start, clean it up as best as you can. Even some soap and water and maybe a brush. Spray some engine cleaner on it to cut the oil buildup and hose it off. Then you will probably be able to trace the leaks to their source.
Old 05-15-2016, 04:18 PM
rm93734
1st Gear

Default Follow up

Thanks. I'll wipe it up and see if I can get a read on it. I'll also see if I put it on the rack and get a better look. Doesn't feel like/ smell like coolant. Either engine oil or transmission fluid. Not much of a leak, but wasn't sure.
Old 08-07-2016, 03:31 AM
targa996
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

looks like my leak - I also had RMS replaced a couple of years ago - mine looks like it is coming from cam cover somewhere - versus bellhousing - but I'm not sure yet - cleaned it up this weekend and will take it for a drive tomorrow to see if I can better find the source ....

Did you get to the bottom of your leak ?

Quick Reply: Fluid leak/seep