Sponsored by:

Oil Check... (w/ photos)

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2016 | 05:55 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Noz1974
I would have thought that it should be up to the max line at the top especially with the starvation issues with oil pick up !!
Depending on driving conditions, this can cause foaming from reciprocating parts and actually lessen the oil ability to remain between the journal and the bearing. It can also put added stress on the AOS if there's a lot of windage in the cases and the pressure gets above nominal.

I shoot for middle of the gauge, middle of the stick and check it fairly often.

YMMV, contents have settled, objects in mirror, and may cause **** leakage.
Old 05-06-2016 | 05:55 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Agrees with mocking statement; Tolstoys dissertation on how to do thing being mocked.
Old 05-06-2016 | 06:27 PM
tharbin
Instructor

Originally Posted by docmirror
Depending on driving conditions, this can cause foaming from reciprocating parts and actually lessen the oil ability to remain between the journal and the bearing. It can also put added stress on the AOS if there's a lot of windage in the cases and the pressure gets above nominal.

I shoot for middle of the gauge, middle of the stick and check it fairly often.
So you intentionally run .666666666... quarts below maximum? I understand the reasoning but I have to say this is part of what I find strange about this forum. The level of paranoia fostered on this forum is off the chart. With that said, now I'm sure that my time in the barrel is now imminent.

I can't believe how our sage advice to every newbie 996 owner is to change his side markers, water pump, thermostat, AOS, IMSB, motor mounts, shifter and suspension even before he takes it around the block. There are a lot of poor naive owners, especially of 1998-1999 996s that are racking up hundreds of thousands of miles on their 996s totally oblivious to the time bomb they are driving. If they only knew.

Last edited by tharbin; 05-06-2016 at 06:58 PM.
Old 05-06-2016 | 07:08 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tharbin
So you intentionally run .666666666... quarts below maximum? I understand the reasoning but I have to say this is part of what I find strange about this forum. The level of paranoia fostered on this forum is off the chart. With that said, now I'm sure that my time in the barrel is now imminent.

I can't believe how our sage advice to every newbie 996 owner is to change his side markers, water pump, thermostat, AOS, IMSB, motor mounts, shifter and suspension even before he takes it around the block. There are a lot of poor naive owners, especially of 1998-1999 996s that are racking up hundreds of thousands of miles on their 996s totally oblivious to the time bomb they are driving. If they only knew.
A. Did you not read the disclaimer that you actually cut OFF my statement? If you don't want to run in the middle of the gauge - then don't. I could give a wet dribbly spit.

B. As one who has actually had a catastrophic failure of a bearing due to aeration, maybe my perspective on the deal is slightly different. See part A above.

C. I'm not sure where you're going with this paranoia stuff, I just advised that based on personal example my opinion, and only my opinion is that full oil, with aggressive driving might cause aeration, and increased windage. If you don't like the advice, first - put me on ignore, and second do what ever the **** you want.
Old 05-06-2016 | 07:11 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Hehe, what pops up a few minutes after I posted my opinion on oil level with regards to straining the AOS?

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...-w-video.html?

Ya can't make this stuff up.
Old 05-06-2016 | 07:14 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

A. Did you not read the disclaimer that you actually cut OFF my statement? If you don't want to run in the middle of the gauge - then don't. I could give a wet dribbly spit. B. As one who has actually had a catastrophic failure of a bearing due to aeration, maybe my perspective on the deal is slightly different. See part A above. C. I'm not sure where you're going with this paranoia stuff, I just advised that based on personal example my opinion, and only my opinion is that full oil, with aggressive driving might cause aeration, and increased windage. If you don't like the advice, first - put me on ignore, and second do what ever the **** you want.

It's OK old fella. You don't have to be so grumpy ALL the time. Here's a great big virtual hug just for you. :HUG:
Old 05-06-2016 | 07:36 PM
tharbin
Instructor

A. Did you not read the disclaimer that you actually cut OFF my statement? If you don't want to run in the middle of the gauge - then don't. I could give a wet dribbly spit.

B. As one who has actually had a catastrophic failure of a bearing due to aeration, maybe my perspective on the deal is slightly different. See part A above.

C. I'm not sure where you're going with this paranoia stuff, I just advised that based on personal example my opinion, and only my opinion is that full oil, with aggressive driving might cause aeration, and increased windage. If you don't like the advice, first - put me on ignore, and second do what ever the **** you want.
First, I apologize to you since I was not aware you had suffered such a failure. I'm quite sure I would be just as careful given the circumstances.

Second, this was not directed at you, it was directed at the forum. It seems like every time a newbie pops in, within a week he is replacing the IMSB, worrying about his water pump and AOS and checking his coolant and oil after every trip to the store. I'm trying to remind all of us that there are just as many high-mileage 996s without any major failure as there are failures.

What I took issue with were two things: I did not feel that the OPs oil was over-filled and I did not think we need to run below maximum. I can see your viewpoint however and given your prior experience would probably do likewise. Between the two 996s I have owned I have had four "professional" oil changes by three different, respected, indies. The first thing I do after any service is to double check the coolant and oil levels. In all four cases the dipstick read just like the OPs.

As for leaving off the disclaimer, since you always use it, it was left off for brevity only.
Old 05-06-2016 | 07:55 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

It seems like every time a newbie pops in, within a week he is replacing the IMSB, worrying about his water pump and AOS and checking his coolant and oil after every trip to the store. I'm trying to remind all of us that there are just as many high-mileage 996s without any major failure as there are failures.
I have decided to just sell mine after 3 weeks of ownership, I can't sleep at night.

Old 05-06-2016 | 08:08 PM
tharbin
Instructor

Just want to add a disclaimer. I just noticed that, based on the feedback in this thread, most of the guys that track their cars aim for middle of the stick. I am not talking about track conditions as I have no experience.

I wonder if a street-oriented AOS doesn't contribute to starvation and aeration by not being able to cope with the amount of slurry produced under track conditions.
Old 05-06-2016 | 08:08 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

First, I apologize to you since I was not aware you had suffered such a failure. I'm quite sure I would be just as careful given the circumstances.

Second, this was not directed at you, it was directed at the forum. It seems like every time a newbie pops in, within a week he is replacing the IMSB, worrying about his water pump and AOS and checking his coolant and oil after every trip to the store. I'm trying to remind all of us that there are just as many high-mileage 996s without any major failure as there are failures.

What I took issue with were two things: I did not feel that the OPs oil was over-filled and I did not think we need to run below maximum. I can see your viewpoint however and given your prior experience would probably do likewise. Between the two 996s I have owned I have had four "professional" oil changes by three different, respected, indies. The first thing I do after any service is to double check the coolant and oil levels. In all four cases the dipstick read just like the OPs.

As for leaving off the disclaimer, since you always use it, it was left off for brevity only.
No worries but if your views were for the forum, it's strange that you quoted me, or maybe misquoted would be more precise.

I didn't think the OP was over-filled either. I gave a perspective on the filling less than over the high mark. Over/under is a matter of perspective.

Now having made my point, the counterpoint is that according to knowledgeable people here, the M96 engine has a tendency to pack oil in the upper valve area under some conditions, so it's kind of hard to know what to do based on that info. BTW, that will also exacerbate aeration, which is always the enemy of lube systems.
Old 05-06-2016 | 10:16 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

OP, it's a bit too high. Don't worry about it for normal driving. I wouldn't do any autocross or tracking with it that high.
Old 05-06-2016 | 11:20 PM
Nailedit
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cuda911
OP, it's a bit too high. Don't worry about it for normal driving. I wouldn't do any autocross or tracking with it that high.
Thanks for the info and thanks everyone else that gave their insight. I am just looking for the "sweet spot" to keep the oil at which I have learned it is a lot of personal preference whether you are tracking or not. Problems do happen and things do break I am just taking precautions to lower the chances.
Old 05-07-2016 | 06:21 AM
911 carrera blue
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nailedit
So I followed the procedure to wait 5 min after driving then check the oil level. Does this seem ok to be at this level on the dipstick? I know the m96's deprive themselves of oil so I have been told to keep it more on the full side but is this too much in your experience? Love to hear your thoughts thanks!

2000 996 C2

I can see threads of metal in the dipstick, someone please bring Paul's microscope to confirm.
Old 05-07-2016 | 03:09 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Someone please bring in a large stick to beat me about the head and shoulders so I will stop reading a thread about "how to read your dipstick." Thank you!
Old 05-07-2016 | 03:18 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
Someone please bring in a large stick to beat me about the head and shoulders so I will stop reading a thread about "how to read your dipstick." Thank you!
Where do you keep your dipstick?

Quick Reply: Oil Check... (w/ photos)