Sponsored by:

Fix Stuff to Break Stuff - quick question

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 06:07 PM
sweet victory
Three Wheelin'

Received 208 Likes on 122 Posts
Default Fix Stuff to Break Stuff - quick question

Started my knuckle busting quest of replacing my oil fill tube. While removing the alternator, I broke the little plastic barbed piece that holds a coolant line. Not sure why Porsche didnt just use one long hose with a clamp instead of this...but whatever. Came up with a quick fix till the replacement comes in the mail (ordered the all billet one from pelican). Used some 3/8" 6061 rod and turned it down to the od of the platstic one. Using what remains of the old clip as an acnhor point for a zip tie.

My question is once I seal the coolant system back up, is there anything I should be weary of? Didnt loose much coolant, maybe a cup, or so.

Old 05-01-2016, 06:38 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Don't think you have much to worry about. Just lift the bleeder open and drive the car for a few days. Top off coolant if needed and you're good to go.

Nice machine work
Old 05-02-2016, 09:12 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,184 Likes on 757 Posts

Agree with Ahsai. No need to worry and do as he said. BTW, you can drill out the plastic part and slip the metal fitting into it. That will hold it in place so it doesn't rub against the serpentine belt. Or, just use the plastic fitting and zip tie your metal fitting to it.
Old 05-02-2016, 03:30 PM
sweet victory
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the confirmation guys.

Added some water and left the burp valve open. Temps all normal.

I ended up not using the plastic retainer. Found a metal hose clamp that worked out perfectly. Still going to order the billet piece on pelican. As it is now, I can see the hose chaffing over time.
Old 05-02-2016, 03:34 PM
sweet victory
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Ahsai

Nice machine work
You should've seen my reaction. Before we (my friend's retired dad lets me use his indie shop) started, I told my buddy helping me out that almost every thread I found about removing the alternator had a comment about someone breaking this little plastic piece. Within 5 minutes of trying to wiggle the alternator out I broke the darn thing.
Old 05-02-2016, 04:45 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Never tell your buddy anything about the imsb and blown engines then haha

I've never broken that piece but I could see how easily it can break off. Btw, you know about the trick of tapping on the long alternator bolt to unfreeze the alternator bushing, right?

Originally Posted by sweet victory
You should've seen my reaction. Before we (my friend's retired dad lets me use his indie shop) started, I told my buddy helping me out that almost every thread I found about removing the alternator had a comment about someone breaking this little plastic piece. Within 5 minutes of trying to wiggle the alternator out I broke the darn thing.
Old 05-02-2016, 05:27 PM
sweet victory
Three Wheelin'

Oh god....it's too late. Time to set the car on fire!

When you mean tapping, you mean gently convincing it, and not thread tapping right? I followed the DIY article on renntech and got it off no problem. Getting it back on was the hardest part of the entire job.
Old 05-03-2016, 03:38 AM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Oh god....it's too late. Time to set the car on fire!

When you mean tapping, you mean gently convincing it, and not thread tapping right? I followed the DIY article on renntech and got it off no problem. Getting it back on was the hardest part of the entire job.
Yes, same as what the Renntech diy says. Usually ppl have a lot more problem removing it than reinstalling it. You're the opposite
Old 05-05-2016, 12:39 AM
sweet victory
Three Wheelin'

Question. It's been a few days and I daily drive the car. Car has been running a bit cool, and takes longer to warm up. Looks like it's only running at 160*F, even with the burp valve closed. Any ideas? Coincidence the thermostat is stuck open or something?
Old 05-05-2016, 12:56 AM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Did you drive with the burp valve open (up position) for a few days? Either way, I can't see why the car will now take longer to warm up...ambient has been cooler?
Old 05-05-2016, 02:17 AM
sweet victory
Three Wheelin'

2.5 days, about 6 or so drives.

And it has been a bit cooler in Orange County lately..
Old 05-05-2016, 02:23 AM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

That should be good. You didn't lose much coolant when that barb broke, maybe a cup or two, right?

2.5 days, about 6 or so drives.

And it has been a bit cooler in Orange County lately..
Old 05-05-2016, 02:33 AM
Kalashnikov
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I broke the same thing when replacing my oil filler tube. For me taking out the alternator was the nightmare, putting it in was a breeze. I also used the brass connector to replace the plastic piece and zip tied to the remaining plastic doodle.

Refilled the cooling system, ran it on the freeway for about an hour with burp valve open and was GTG.

Name:  DSC00887_zps22bf96a9.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  88.1 KB

Quick Reply: Fix Stuff to Break Stuff - quick question