Different Approach to DIY IMSB Retro / Parts and Pics

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 02:42 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Different Approach to DIY IMSB Retro / Parts and Pics

BOT

Last edited by KrazyK; 11-28-2017 at 01:47 PM.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:21 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

The plan sounds good to me.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:36 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

BOT

Last edited by KrazyK; 11-28-2017 at 01:48 PM.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:30 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

BOT

Old 04-13-2013, 11:48 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

You have found almost exactly what I found in my 2003 54k mi engine. No grease IMS appears fine. I had "clean" oil, at least not black and burned smelling, in the tube.

I don't see how these seals mounted on the end of an empty tube, especially when immersed in hot oil, could withstand the pressure, heat of a warmed up engine, and vacuum, tube cooling when engine off, without letting oil through.

I think both seals removed should allow free flow of lubricating oil. As long as there is no FOD they should outlast the originals by a significant margin.

Would you consider posting a parts#, supplier list?
Old 04-14-2013, 11:43 AM
ljschnel
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

KK-

When you remove the seals will you also clean the grease out of the bearing? I wonder if the grease (and seals to keep it in place) is important for lubricating the bearing during break-in, i.e. fine polishing of *****, races, and cage?
How high above the IMSB was the oil level? I imagine that the the oil level in the engine will be lower when it is running with all oil passages full and surfaces of the crank and other internal components are coated... I think it's cool that you are doing this and I don't agree with those who say you are nuts for not paying a bunch of money for what is an off-the-shelf bearing. GL & keep the photos coming!
Old 04-14-2013, 11:56 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

BOT

Old 04-15-2013, 12:10 AM
stakeman
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice way to spend the weekend in Houston! I did mine last fall and enjoyed every minute of it! Great cars to wrench on!
Old 04-15-2013, 12:31 AM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by KrazyK
If it makes you feel better, pay the $600+ in just parts. But, if you think these guys are making their own bearings, just keep believing it. The post is not to diss anyone just show some alternatives for those who want them.

KrazyK???
REALLY?
By finding the bearing supplier, listing the part numbers and being "first" adopters IMo00 and you have done a "Good Thing" as Martha would say. Why tarnish it with those three throwaway sentences?
Old 04-15-2013, 12:35 AM
alpine003
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I will run this for awhile until I drop the engine later this year for cleaning, detailing

You can even call me names if you want (Alp & SP). LOL.
I think you deserve to be called some names if you are dropping the engine to clean it. That's really the main reason why you'll be dropping it, you can't fool me.

Btw, just so we're clear, you bought the Pelican kit but later decided to use the CH bearing that Imre is using? Are you using the stock OEM shaft with that?
Old 04-15-2013, 09:23 AM
Cosmo Kramer
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 72 Posts

Well in KK's defense he took a lot of $hit on his other thread when he started talking about doing this job. Many said he shouldn't cheap out on a critical part like this, but he has proven just like Imre that the parts in the LN kit are pretty standard (except their custom flange/shaft). Many believe (including Casper Labs) that the stock shaft/flange is adequate for the job and adding these custom bits just adds cost to the repair.

KK's car is another example that the stock IMS was nowhere near failure when it was taken apart. How many cars have had these parts swapped out because of this stigma and nothing was wrong? I bet it is in the high 90 percent range.

Sorry for the rant, but it pisses me off that there is marketing and hype about this "problem" that really isn't as bad as it is made out to be. LN's own website depicts the M96 a time bomb ready blow at any moment. This is kicking the $hit out of the value of our cars.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:18 AM
mrtoro
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Well done KK. Very well thought out and executed. There is more than one way to skin a cat (not my words but my wife loves this sick phrase). Professional kits are a great piece of mind for a lot of people. Its ready off the shelf and only work it requires is reaching for your wallet.

I respect the research and courage. Please provide the full parts list when you can.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:47 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by Cosmo Kramer
Well in KK's defense he took a lot of $hit on his other thread when he started talking about doing this job. Many said he shouldn't cheap out on a critical part like this, but he has proven just like Imre that the parts in the LN kit are pretty standard (except their custom flange/shaft). Many believe (including Casper Labs) that the stock shaft/flange is adequate for the job and adding these custom bits just adds cost to the repair.

KK's car is another example that the stock IMS was nowhere near failure when it was taken apart. How many cars have had these parts swapped out because of this stigma and nothing was wrong? I bet it is in the high 90 percent range.

Sorry for the rant, but it pisses me off that there is marketing and hype about this "problem" that really isn't as bad as it is made out to be. LN's own website depicts the M96 a time bomb ready blow at any moment. This is kicking the $hit out of the value of our cars.
yawn. The bearing is never a problem until it is, and then its a very big problem. If you happen to be in the .5%, 1%, 5%, 10% whatever that has an IMS failure, then it probably doesn't matter much to you if the remaining 90%, 95%, 99%, 99.5% whatever percent are perfectly fine, does it?

If you are concerned about the value of your car, sell it and buy an air cooled one. they seem to hold value.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:58 AM
Goldenwarrior1
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Replaced cracked flex disc while I had the front driveshaft out.
KK,
Where did you find just the "guibo" flex disk? Porsche will not sell the disk by itself! They want to sell you the entire driveshaft!

Awesome Job by the way. Great to see some folks who are not scared of the beast. Other than the tight cramped space this car is no different than anything else I have ever worked on.

Cheers, Tom
Old 04-15-2013, 12:11 PM
mas05
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Awesome job!!! I plan to do mine when it needs a clutch (or leaks oil which ever comes first)...

Quick Reply: Different Approach to DIY IMSB Retro / Parts and Pics