Atlas TD6MR Lift Review

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 02:23 PM
spruden
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Atlas TD6MR Lift Review

The slippery slope continues...

I bit the bullet and purchased a Atlas TD6MR scissor lift from Greg Smith Equipment earlier this year. Pete's lift was just a bit too far from home to use weekly . This is the 6,000 lb lift with 7 mechanical "stops".

I looked at all of the typical lifts, MaxJax, Bendpak, etc... and went with the relatively cheap option. Purchasing the lift was super easy - walked in the showroom, looked it over and handed over the cash. The staff was helpful and knowledgeable. Greg Smith recommends loading onto a flatbed trailer - they forklift the pallet on the trailer and off you go. It's very heavy, so plan ahead for how you'll lower it to the ground from the truck/trailer. I used some neighbors and a floor jack...easy.

The lift is "portable" but you won't want to move it frequently. Setup is simple - attach some wheels, bolts, fill with fluid and follow the initial break-in/bleed procedure. The 110v plug is not included so you'll need to add that as part of the setup.

Another thing to note is the maximum distance between the lift points - it fits the 996, a 981 Boxster, my GTI and a C6 Vette well, however my MB W211 Wagon is right on the edge of fitting. I bet large modern unibody cars will have lift points too far apart to work with this lift. Double check your cars' lift points and compare it to the specs before purchasing this lift!

The lift works very well - has a ton of room - I think doing an engine/transmission drop in the 996 is doable without altering the rear cross member. I had to build some ramps to get enough clearance, but that's typical with the scissor lifts.

Maximum lifting height is over 50" - not enough to stand under, but high enough to work comfortably. With the 996, I can get it to maximum height in my standard garage without hitting the ceiling.

If you're on the fence about getting a lift, just do it - this is easy money to spend. You'll wonder how you ever did anything without it. Simple maintenance, oil changes, track prep, suspension and just detailing the car is trivial now.

Here are some pics of the lift, the 996, and a C6 vette getting prepped for track duty in 2 weeks. Beware, people come out of the woodwork when you have a lift - even the guys still using leaf springs!

Old 04-13-2016, 02:40 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by spruden
has a ton of room - I think doing an engine/transmission drop in the 996 is doable without altering the rear cross member.
Thanks for the review. I'm liking the aspect above if it is true.

Was on the fence between this and quick jack mostly due to my existing low ceiling garage and portability to loan it out to my friends.
Old 04-13-2016, 02:43 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

yup, my buddy has had this for about 3 years and we've used it countless times. No issues save for one slight hydraulic leak. great purchase for the money.
Old 04-13-2016, 03:16 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Nice! A lift is good money spent! I'm getting my brakes ready this weekend for that DE.

BTW.....just because you don't need to use my lift anymore doesn't mean you can't visit.....sheesh
Old 04-13-2016, 04:51 PM
spruden
Racer

Originally Posted by alpine003
Thanks for the review. I'm liking the aspect above if it is true.

Was on the fence between this and quick jack mostly due to my existing low ceiling garage and portability to loan it out to my friends.
Agree - I won't know if it's true for sure until I try it...and you won't know unless I post pictures . I couldn't find any visual evidence to confirm or deny, but it certainly appears that the rear cross member of the lift will not impose on dropping the engine/tranny - you just make sure the car is oriented safely toward the rear of the lift.
Old 04-13-2016, 05:06 PM
Kjan4
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spruden
but it certainly appears that the rear cross member of the lift will not impose on dropping the engine/tranny
Thanks for the review. The price point really isn't bad considering the utility, and if the above is true, even better!
Old 04-15-2016, 03:36 PM
krobertson
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

So glad I saw this! I'd been thinking about getting a MaxJax for several months, but decided to pass and was thinking of getting the QuickJack. However this is far more attractive. QuickJack could only lift to 22".
Old 01-16-2017, 04:42 PM
stubble88
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With this Altals, has anyone dropped the motor and trans with this without cutting cross members off?
Im thinking about getting a scissor lift to drop the motor/trans. But ever other scissor lift seems to require chopping it up for clearance.
I have a 993
thanks
Old 01-16-2017, 05:35 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

Just installed a MaxJax and love it!

Name:  photo24.jpg
Views: 7852
Size:  927.8 KB
Old 01-16-2017, 08:30 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

If you have the ceiling height -use it ! And get a full height lift. I have a 2 post Mohawk with the wheel engaging arms option. There is lots of discussion of this general subject on Garage Journal. The favorite is the in-ground scissor lift
Old 01-16-2017, 08:47 PM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Slakker

Attachment 1126361
Nice!
Old 01-16-2017, 09:52 PM
vandersmith
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice choice!

+1 for Greg Smith

Old 01-16-2017, 10:02 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

I bought both of my 4 post lifts from Greg Smith Equipment back in 2008. The lifts have been great. I've only needed customer service once since I installed them and I got help right away.
Old 01-17-2017, 11:38 AM
spruden
Racer

Originally Posted by stubble88
With this Altals, has anyone dropped the motor and trans with this without cutting cross members off?
Im thinking about getting a scissor lift to drop the motor/trans. But ever other scissor lift seems to require chopping it up for clearance.
I have a 993
thanks
I now also have a 993 and am toying with doing an engine drop using the TD6MR. Here's what I can tell you:
  • The "cross bar" on this lift is structurally different than the bendpak lift where it's commonly removed
  • I would not under any circumstance alter the rear cross bar on this lift - it takes load from the rear movable arms (ones that swing out) and I'd hate to disrupt the integrity of the lift
  • The 993 transmission mount overhangs the cross bar by ~3" - meaning you will need to position the car very far back on the lift - about 3" back from where it naturally wants to go
  • By my quick glance - it's likely possible but you'd have to get creative to drop the entire lump with this lift
  • I prefer safety over convenience - so if I make the call not to use the lift then I'll lower the lump with the car up on my esco jack stands
Old 01-17-2017, 01:21 PM
mcfisticuffs
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Slakker

Attachment 1126361
how high is your ceiling? 8'?

Quick Reply: Atlas TD6MR Lift Review